New player, slightly dumb question, NATO symbols

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Bonners

New player, slightly dumb question, NATO symbols

Post by Bonners »

Apologies for what is a no doubt oft repeated question, but how do I change my unit types from sprites to NATO symbols? I have just purchased and am reading through the manual as I go. Under 3.3.2 it states I should be able to change from 3D sprites to NATO, yet I am struggling to do so, it only gives me two options the sprites or the sprites with a base.

I've looked at some of the AARs and NATO symbols do seem to be available? I have checked that I've got the latest version downloaded and also done a search on the forums but have struggled to find this problem having come up before? Sorry to be a pain, it is just these old eyes struggle with sprites!

Anybody help?

Thanks in advance[:)]
sPzAbt653

RE: New player, slightly dumb question, NATO symbols

Post by sPzAbt653 »

About the third screen in, try unchecking the Red to get the Blue.

Attachments
SC3e4.jpg
SC3e4.jpg (90.35 KiB) Viewed 249 times
nnason

Post by nnason »

there ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS. I have been playing for years and when I reinstalled forgot the uncheck the 3d.

So welcome new player. One thing playing the AI will teach you bad habits. I played the AI for 9 months and am still unlearning bad habits.

Go the PBEM forum and find someone to play. You may lose but you will learn.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Thanks all. Will be a while before I try any PBEM games. My general rule is to try and learn the game mechanics which generally takes a few weeks, once I've done that then go and get my b*** royally kicked by trying a PBEM game, as it is only by playing humans that I really learn.

Thanks again for the help.
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Sorry about this, but I have a further dumb question, this time concerning carriers. I'm just trying to learn the game little bit by bit and keep getting stuck on various bits. I'm generally of the opinion that you learn better if you find the answer yourself, but this one is really bugging me. I've been trying to search the forums and the manual but have yet to find the answer.

Anyway, how do I get the carrier aircraft to perform a search over sea? I've tried right clicking various modes, etc. but nothing seems to work. They obviously can do searches with their aircraft because I can use them to search over land with no problem, but why not at sea? I know these are basic questions, but sometimes I cant see the wood for the trees.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Try this ?

Reconnaissance – Air units and Carriers can target
hexes not known to contain enemy forces. Left click
on the unit and then left click on the targeted hex.
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Try this ?

Reconnaissance – Air units and Carriers can target
hexes not known to contain enemy forces. Left click
on the unit and then left click on the targeted hex.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is what I do if they want to conduct reconnaissance over land and it works fine. The trouble is if I follow the same process over a sea hex it just moves the carrier, so I presume there is something else I should click first?
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

If yhe CV has movement points left and you don't want to move the CV then hold the shift key. You'll see the familiar air mission circle (within the air range) when the mouse moves over hexes. Then left click (while continuing to hold the shift key) to perform the mission.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

If yhe CV has movement points left and you don't want to move the CV then hold the shift key. You'll see the familiar air mission circle (within the air range) when the mouse moves over hexes. Then left click (while continuing to hold the shift key) to perform the mission.

Brilliant, thanks very much. I'm still doing something wrong as tried on a couple and works fine, tried on one in the Med and it went steaming off!!! But I think that must be something else I'm missing. Sure I'll be able to figure it now. Thanks for the help.
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Apologies, but another question. Again for games against the AI at the moment. If I want to try and delay the USSR declaring war if I'm playing as the Axis, I need to keep a sharp eye on diplomacy and make sure that USSR pro Allies percentage doesnt get too high?

I'm presuming that spending money on a diplomatic chit is a bit of a waste of time as I need to get really lucky for it to have any affect? Or am I using the diplomatic chits incorrectly?

I've read loads on these forums (probably too much!), but I'm sure I read either here or in the manual that one way to delay the USSR is to limit the amount of troops on the border. Is that correct or did I imagine it? For some reason I seem to have a figure in my head of 18 units within 10 hexes of Warsaw (I could've imagined this though!). If that is correct, does it include all units, or just ground units (i.e. naval and air units).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

For some reason I seem to have a figure in my head of 18 units within 10 hexes of Warsaw (I could've imagined this though!).

That`s correct. You`ll also have to keep 1 unit in Warsaw in 39, and 2 at all in 41 iirc.

To keep possible enemy's war readiness low (especially USA and SU), you may avoid all actions by decision events to provoke them, as well as DoWs. It`s not necessary to DoW Belgium for instance, they will join the Allies after the DoW on the Netherlands.

Usually you won`t be able to dealy russian joining until 42 without diplo. Diplo is worth to consider in any case, the AI won`t usually be as effective to counter as human opponents. Spain is a reasonable target, it can't be influenced by the SU, and until US joins you'll have the advantage of available Chits together with Italy. This will improve the strategical situation for the Axis hugely in case of a successfull outcome.
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Thank you Sugar, really useful info.
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Another question. Still messing around with the game and trying to learn things. I'm playing an "AI" campaign where I'm just playing as the Soviets, i.e. USA and Britain are both also AI controlled. Do I need to do something to get the USA involved in the war? They are at war with the Axis powers in May 1942, yet all their forces are just sat in the US mainland? Just seems a bit strange? is there something I can do to trigger their involvement?
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

I suspect that it is building up forces prior to undertaking operations, rather than sending units out without a plan, as the AI will be triggered into action once certain conditions have been met.

You can always move units yourself, and still let the AI control everything that you don't move.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Bonners

Post by Bonners »

Thanks Bill. Yeah I was wondering that, it seems to be building up a lot of forces though and you would think it could spare the odd destroyer to help out with anti-sub operations itself? As an experiment I launched a few transports across the Atlantic myself to see what it would do...it turned them round and dumped the troops in Canada!

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”