Thought the real Japanese were incompetent? warspite1 (J) vs AllenK (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Uncivil Engineer

RE: Thought the real Japanese were incompetent? warspite1 (J) vs AllenK (A)

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Singora, Thailand

During the first turn a couple of stringbags attacked one of my transports. I will see if I can find what happened to this ship.

Here she is. She's not sunk but there's a lot of red and orange numbers here. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think that's a good thing.... There is no mention of any troops so hopefully these were unloaded before the cowardly attack by the British.

With fires at 96 this ship will likely sink in the next 5 minutes. Sorry.

As for Kota Bharu and forming divisions -

1) You currently have sufficient force at Kota Bharu to capture it. The transports there will continue to unload, increasing the infantry regiment's AV to 126 (that's standard for a fresh IJA regiment) and unload supply and a bit of fuel. Set the units there to deliberate attack and you should defeat the demoralized and inexperienced Brit/Indian units defending the hex. It might also be a good idea to bring your BB TF there to cover the landing, because even though you've sunk PoW and Repulse, those pesky Brit DD's may try to mess up your amphib TF's (the AI will try this, don't know about your human opponent). Also, provide air cover (LRCAP) from Singora for the BB's. All three landing sites (Singora, Patani, and Kota Bharu) need to be covered by a combat surface force, with the strongest in the south.

2) Singora and Kota Bharu are connected by rail. Patani is not. But, the road from Patani across Malaya to Georgetown is mostly a major road; only minor roads connect Singora to the west coast. You can change the destinations for your amphib TF's to get 5th Div units to land at Singora and 18th Div to land at Kota Bharu, but they really don't need to be reformed into the divisions until Alor Star, Georgetown, and Taiping on the west coast are captured. At this point, speed of attack is more important than getting organized. I would want at least 1 good infantry regiment to land at Patani (or even better 1 tank regiment) to move west and cut off retreat from Alor Star.

3) There is not much aviation support in the preplanned amphib TF's, but there is plenty in Indochina. That needs to be brought across the Gulf of Siam by ship (or rail thru Bangkok). The Imperial Guard Division is in Battambang and should be changed to rail movement and sent to Singora. It will take 3+ days to get there after the 2-3 day packing delay.

4) Also, find the 4th Div (I think Osaka) and 33rd Div (Hiroshima?) and get them on an amphib TF heading to (whatever your plan is). The 33rd is prepped for Rangoon, but Palembang might be a good first target (don't change the prep). There are many targets available for the 4th Div - Wenchow, Palembang, Mindanao, Luzon, Rabaul, Malaya - I like Palembang. Also, the 21st Div is at Shanghai and is unrestricted, but if you move it Shanghai will not meet the garrison requirement of 720.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

Singora, Thailand

During the first turn a couple of stringbags attacked one of my transports. I will see if I can find what happened to this ship.

Here she is. She's not sunk but there's a lot of red and orange numbers here. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think that's a good thing.... There is no mention of any troops so hopefully these were unloaded before the cowardly attack by the British.

With fires at 96 this ship will likely sink in the next 5 minutes. Sorry.
warspite1

You clearly haven't got any experience of this game or the latest innovations I've employed in damage control. 96% fires? Pfft, we in the Imperial Japanese Navy laugh at 96% fires. For your impudence sir I shall ensure that Meiten Maru is at the head of the line when my victorious navy sail into San Diego harbour to accept Truman's (or probably FDR as I expect to have this wrapped by early 1944) surrender.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

As for Kota Bharu and forming divisions -

1) You currently have sufficient force at Kota Bharu to capture it. The transports there will continue to unload, increasing the infantry regiment's AV to 126 (that's standard for a fresh IJA regiment) and unload supply and a bit of fuel. Set the units there to deliberate attack and you should defeat the demoralized and inexperienced Brit/Indian units defending the hex. It might also be a good idea to bring your BB TF there to cover the landing, because even though you've sunk PoW and Repulse, those pesky Brit DD's may try to mess up your amphib TF's (the AI will try this, don't know about your human opponent). Also, provide air cover (LRCAP) from Singora for the BB's. All three landing sites (Singora, Patani, and Kota Bharu) need to be covered by a combat surface force, with the strongest in the south.

2) Singora and Kota Bharu are connected by rail. Patani is not. But, the road from Patani across Malaya to Georgetown is mostly a major road; only minor roads connect Singora to the west coast. You can change the destinations for your amphib TF's to get 5th Div units to land at Singora and 18th Div to land at Kota Bharu, but they really don't need to be reformed into the divisions until Alor Star, Georgetown, and Taiping on the west coast are captured. At this point, speed of attack is more important than getting organized. I would want at least 1 good infantry regiment to land at Patani (or even better 1 tank regiment) to move west and cut off retreat from Alor Star.

3) There is not much aviation support in the preplanned amphib TF's, but there is plenty in Indochina. That needs to be brought across the Gulf of Siam by ship (or rail thru Bangkok). The Imperial Guard Division is in Battambang and should be changed to rail movement and sent to Singora. It will take 3+ days to get there after the 2-3 day packing delay.

4) Also, find the 4th Div (I think Osaka) and 33rd Div (Hiroshima?) and get them on an amphib TF heading to (whatever your plan is). The 33rd is prepped for Rangoon, but Palembang might be a good first target (don't change the prep). There are many targets available for the 4th Div - Wenchow, Palembang, Mindanao, Luzon, Rabaul, Malaya - I like Palembang. Also, the 21st Div is at Shanghai and is unrestricted, but if you move it Shanghai will not meet the garrison requirement of 720.
warspite1

Yes I've been looking at Kull's Japan set up and I don't think three divisions will cut the mustard......

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Battembang, French Indo-China

Now I've got a good idea where the 5th and 18th Divisions are, I locate the third of my original three units for the Malayan Campaign. I would like it known that what follows is entirely my own idea and in no way shape or form relies upon anything that anyone else has suggested may be a good idea - especially Kull.

I order the Imperial Guards Division to rail to Singora. I move the operations mode from combat to strategic.

Attachments
ImperialGuards.jpg
ImperialGuards.jpg (132.74 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Anachro

Post by Anachro »

So the BBC taught me something today and I think only you, Warspite, have the pedigree to ascertain the veracity of their claims. It would seem the ones with the bastardized language are you, the English, and not us Americans. After all, we speak the language of Shakespeare! What say you?
Spellings: have you ever been driven mad by your spellchecker constantly suggesting you actually meant to type color? The UK has kept the letter u in words like colour because it is preserving French aristocratic spellings. If you go back to the 16th century however, we didn't use to include the letter u. Shakespeare wrote honor rather than honour!

So be sure to start dropping your U's if you want to be truly speaking like the Poet! I'll comment more on your game itself when we deviate from the historical first few turns. [:D]
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

So the BBC taught me something today and I think only you, Warspite, have the pedigree to ascertain the veracity of their claims. It would seem the ones with the bastardized language are you, the English, and not us Americans. After all, we speak the language of Shakespeare! What say you?
Spellings: have you ever been driven mad by your spellchecker constantly suggesting you actually meant to type color? The UK has kept the letter u in words like colour because it is preserving French aristocratic spellings. If you go back to the 16th century however, we didn't use to include the letter u. Shakespeare wrote honor rather than honour!

So be sure to start dropping your U's if you want to be truly speaking like the Poet! I'll comment more on your game itself when we deviate from the historical first few turns. [:D]
warspite1

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick old fruit. The English language is whatever we say it is. It was correct at the time Harold ordered his troops to Hastings, it was correct when Shakespeare wrote his plays, it was correct when Victoria became Empress of India, and it is correct now. If, at various times, we decided to mix it up a bit and change things here and there, then that is entirely for us - as owners of our language - to decide. We speak and write English. Any variation is totally and utterly wrong. FACT [:)].

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Patani, Thailand

So just to the north of Kota Bharu is this Japanese base in southern Thailand. Lots going on here it seems so lets have a look at what all this means.

Patani has both a port and an airfield. Both facilities need support troops to keep the base working at maximum efficiency. Both of these are currently in the red. The manual from what I've read so far does not expand on this i.e. what support troops fulfil this role and where can they be sourced? It looks like the units at Patani aboard Task Force 92 are largely combat units so that won't help.

The next thing the manual mentions are supplies (the daily requirement is shown) and fuel. Supply looks okay but there is currently no fuel at the base. There is no oil or resources storage either. Let's see what the manual says about this. Mmmm nothing much really, I'll have to look at logistics later. In the meantime I'll carry on looking at the bases section.

The Port is size 1 (with a Standard Potential size of 1) - so it could increase to a 4

The Airfield Capacity is 3 with a potential to go to 7. There is no % next to these numbers so no engineers are working on increasing the size. There are no fortifications either. I don't know about the value of increasing airfield/ports/fortifications for Patani at this stage.

There are 4 patrol aircraft (Mavis) located at the airfield. I will look at aircraft later.

There is not currently much by way of troops at the base - which is a shame as I was hoping to move on Kota Bharu.

There are no ships docked in port. TF 11, with 4 Mogamis, is at sea in the hex guarding the transports.
Red numbers shown:[/i]

1. Fuel. This is for shipping that needs fuel in the port. In most cases, fuel from other (safer) locales could be railed in sight unseen. It still happens to hexes-like Patani-that are road connected (not rail), but you will find that the storage at the port facilities may need further consideration. For this purpose, you have TK and AO ships. In a pinch, you can use xAKs to unload fuel directly. Beware that fuel-laden ships don't respond well to being hit by enemy projectiles. So balance the merits of directly fueling the base with the risk of having ships ablaze. In your current case, Bangkok or Saigon aren't terribly far away. Perhaps your captains would be able to wait a bit to get more at a safer locale?

2. Support / aviation support. Refers to HQ support needed by your land combat units (LCUs) or naval support. Aviation support required to fuel, arm and patch up planes to avoid them being disabled or ineffective.

The former will be influenced by the presence of an army HQ unit that provides support within range. Some HQ units have extended range of support (e.g., Southern command), most have a support radius of only 1. This will help your troops prep and train and recover disablement as well as permit the more rapid use of replacements-when turned on.

Aviation support can be provided by a scattering of air HQ (HQa on the unit list). Thankfully, the more plentiful "IJAAF or IJNAF Base unit" will also provide support. Most of the latter are either incoming on your transports to the Malay peninsula or are stacked like cord wood in Pnom Penh, Saigon and surrounds. Get them on a rail line and move them in to theater. Then distribute them to support the air power that you will need to bring to the Malay peninsula to subdue Singapore.

These will provide support for land-based aircraft as well as float / patrol aircraft. If you would like to support the Mavis' aircraft that you've moved in for reconaissance purposes, an "AV" class ship disbanded at the port should suffice. If I recall correctly, you have two AVs in immediate proximity to the Malay Peninsula at game start, merely have one disband into Patani and your air support will read: 0+9 (no longer in red-where the 0 represents ground aviation support units and the +9 represents an AV-type ship that has been disbanded in port and provides 9 support specifically for float / patrol aircraft).

In a general sense, you're right about not expanding Patani's port or airfield for now. It takes time and supply and you will soon have better choices for air support, after erm...'liberating'...Kota Bahru.

Hope this helps... [8D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Kota Bharu, Malaya

I click on the Ground Unit icon in the hex and this provides me with the ground units I have there. Let's see what the manual has to say about this. The screen is a little different to that in the manual but most of the info seems to be the same so I'll plug on. At this stage I am most interested in finding the three divisions of 25th Army so I click on the 56th Infantry Regiment.

Remember to click on the lingerie button in the upper right corner.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

warspite1

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick old fruit. The English language is whatever we say it is. It was correct at the time Harold ordered his troops to Hastings, it was correct when Shakespeare wrote his plays, it was correct when Victoria became Empress of India, and it is correct now. If, at various times, we decided to mix it up a bit and change things here and there, then that is entirely for us - as owners of our language - to decide. We speak and write English. Any variation is totally and utterly wrong. FACT [:)].
We declared independence from you lot in 1776. You can take your extraneous 'u' and use it for Scrabble. If you can find it in a dictionary, that is. [8D]
So sayeth Noah Webster.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Kota Bharu, Malaya

I click on the Ground Unit icon in the hex and this provides me with the ground units I have there. Let's see what the manual has to say about this. The screen is a little different to that in the manual but most of the info seems to be the same so I'll plug on. At this stage I am most interested in finding the three divisions of 25th Army so I click on the 56th Infantry Regiment.

'lingerie button'? Whose lingerie? I do not want to see lingerie-wearing Samurai.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I order the Imperial Guards Division to rail to Singora.
The Emperor reserves the Guard to himself! [:-]

Attachments
boney.jpg
boney.jpg (106.72 KiB) Viewed 400 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Kota Bharu, Malaya

warspite1

Yep I've been pressing that button all afternoon but I'm not finding any missing divisions.....

Attachments
2154Sexy..Gown02.jpg
2154Sexy..Gown02.jpg (211.03 KiB) Viewed 400 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Kota Bharu, Malaya

warspite1

Yep I've been pressing that button all afternoon but I'm not finding any missing divisions.....

I see 2 divisions.

Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Nice. [8D] I have a folder of such images if I ever decide to do a Japanese Pinup Girls mod v2.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I order the Imperial Guards Division to rail to Singora.
The Emperor reserves the Guard to himself! [:-]

warspite1

No I'm talking Imperial Guard - not the Old (Middle or Young) Guard. But speaking of which....

"Now Maitland, now's your time!"
Attachments
ClRAVXHWgAE6a0Y.jpg
ClRAVXHWgAE6a0Y.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

warspite1

I see 2 divisions.
Where's the DL on those? Better send a recon patrol.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

You are sooooo green[:D], but liked so I'll do my best to help. I'll have to take all this bit by bit, and may not have time to get to all of it today.
I can't see in the manual what these numbers sit in terms of a minimum/maximum (100?)

Yes, out of 100.
I'll need to understand how the supply mechanism works, but for now I don't need to worry about this unit.

Its automatic and easily understood... As with everything, its easy once you know it. Anyway, just make sure the nearest base to the unit has adequate supply and it will flow to the unit. Supply lines are best along roads/railroads as the supply will flow more freely. There's a way to see this in a non-PBEM game, but for whatever reason not in a PBEM.
The support situation is not so favourable however. This unit is not in a friendly base hex and so support can't be received from other units. Not clear yet how to rectify this but presumably there will be divisional support units or something that I need to get to this regiment.

Support is generally short within divisions. As IRL units usually rely on outside support elements. The best way to get the extra support is to have an HQ (Command, Army, Corps) in the hex. At any rate being short won't effect the fighting strength of the unit in combat other than to reduce its ability to recover disablements' as quickly as with full support.
The manual mentions 'Control Zone' but I can't see that on this form so will ignore.

'Control Zones' are not in the sense as in lots of other games wherein the unit may influence the surrounding hexes. TBH there's no 'control zone' per say. The game works on hexside control. If you hit the 'w' key (IIRC) you will see which hexsides are controlled by your units. Its normally all the hexes around a unit or the color of the last unit that passed through the hexside if the hex is 'contested'.

OK, on to the next page.[:)]

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

but according to Wiki the 18th Infantry Division had two brigades and two regiments to each brigade (presumably 3 battalions to a regiment?).

Yeah, forget that. Most divisions in the game, the 8th Japanese ID is the only one I can think of offhand that's different, will have three regiments, plus support elements. By support elements here I mean engrs, arty, recon. Some may have these embedded within the regts some not.
So are you saying that upgrades on should be only activated at set times e.g. when in rear areas?

Not exactly. Japans' upgrades are normally easier than for the Allies. They don't have to rely on what's in the pools to get upgrades, Japan doesn't have 'pools' per say. She relies on 'armaments' production points which are generated through 'heavy industry' (HI) production. As long as there're armaments points in that 'pool' devices for upgrades may be 'purchased'. The problem is you need to meet certain conditions for the unit to get the 'upgrade'. Such as in supply, and proximity to an HQ, etc. If conditions are met for say one regt and not the others then the unit can't combine until all have the same equipment. Thus turn off upgrades until the unit is recombined, if that's what you wish to do.

All this being said consider that the Dev's have stated that a 'broken' down division will function as a fully combined division if all elements are operating from the same hex.
So is it best to move and fight as a division in this game? Should I be looking to combine 18th Division asap?

Although the choice is yours (and I prefer to operate as a full unit) see comment above. At this point I'd like to add that you need to be aware of the skill levels of all your commanders as some in the 'broken' down unit may be sub-par. Also it has been my experience that the game, for whatever reason, tends to pick 'Col Klink' and put him in charge when a unit is combined. Watch this.
So I assume that these units are unloading.

No. Look in the upper left corner. They are loaded on a ship in TF85.
There is nothing on this screen to say this but the 'Set Future Objectives' is set to Kota Bharu.

'Set Future Objectives' has nothing to do with where the TF is headed, but it could. This box and level tells us what base the unit 'should' attack and capture next. The closer the number is to 100, the better the chance the unit has to get an 'attack bonus' when it assaults said base. This 'bonus' is really dependent upon HQ's that have the same objective and whether its in 'range' or not. It can seem a bit confusing, but you'll get it. HQ or no though all units should be as well prepped as possible when attacking a base.
This one is heading for Kota Bharu and is called the third wave? What happened to the second wave?

Its out there somewhere.[:D] These are just names given by the Dev's to these TF's and have no real meaning.
These units presumably can't fit on available shipping (I am assuming the remaining shipping at Samrah is required elsewhere) and so will need to be loaded from returning vessels.

I'd check the port at Samah. Pretty sure there'll be enough shipping there to load whatever is located in the base. Remember those load numbers can be deceiving.[:D] An 'amphibious' load is not the same as a 'transport' load, and then of course there's 'cross-loading'. Confused yet?[:D] When its said the game has a 'learning cliff' that's a statement, not a joke.[;)]
Within this task force is the 21st Infantry Regiment of 5th Division. Some of this division is at Singora, some at Patani and there are some elements on board ship (Task Forces 91 and 92) and it seems both these task forces are there too.

I best have a look and see what exactly is in Patani and Singora to the north.

Yeah, your units are pretty scattered at the start. Some of that is historical, and some may have been done by the Dev's so the Japanese don't get to 'ahead of themselves', if you get my drift.

So anyway look at the map. IMHO the only way to proceed through Malaya is down the west coast main road. Following that RR track from Kota Bharu will be painfully slow. That said there's a quirk in the game mechanics that'll also slow you down on the west coast route. If you attempt to go from the base of Aloa Stor (IIRC, its not named on the map) in the north, south past those two clear terrain hexes along the coast the AI routing will screw you up. What I mean by that is that the program will rout the unit(s) through the two clear terrain hexes. At that point you'll be off the road trying to pass from a clear terrain hex to a jungle hex. It'll slow you down bunches. So in this case just route your units two hexes to the jungle hex where the 'M' for Malaya is and further south after they arrive at that hex. Things like this sometimes happen in the code.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Patani has both a port and an airfield. Both facilities need support troops to keep the base working at maximum efficiency.

OK, the support were're talking about here is different from that needed for ID's. These support elements are AS for an airbase, and NS for the port. The AS (air support) for the airbase will keep your planes in tip-top flying condition if there are enough of them. Keep in mind that enough is based on engines at the field, not the number of A/C. The NS (naval support) will help in the load/unload rates of troops and supply at the port, and only troops and supply (no oil, fuel, resources).

If you look over in Indo-China you'll probably find a number of units there that contain these devices. I like to get some transport A/C at bases that have these and fly them over to help get my bases in the combat zone up to speed quicker. Even with the load/unload bonus that Japan gets in the early game (1st four months) it can seemingly take forever to unload at tiny captured bases.
The next thing the manual mentions are supplies (the daily requirement is shown) and fuel.

Fuel, only for ships and yours should have plenty for now. Don't worry about this.

As for supplies and the 'daily requirement' as shown.[:D] This number is just a 'general figure' and you shouldn't put too much faith in what is shown. Its really based on the requirements for just that particular day and will often change greatly in later days. Its all a matter of what is drawn by what units depending on air ops, combat, yadda, yadda, yadda. Its really only somewhat reliable in some rear area base that hasn't done anything for a month.[:D]

LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Most square divisions were triangularised later in the war and lost one Inf Rgt which in many
cases was grouped with other orphans to form new divisions. Cannot be modelled in the game so square divisions which start split have three Inf Rgts. The fourth Rgt is often present on map, but assigned to the division it became part of after the triangularisation.

Return to “After Action Reports”