Russian style "recon-in-force"

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
exsonic01

Russian style "recon-in-force"

Post by exsonic01 »

http://www.benning.army.mil/armor/eARMO ... Grau18.pdf
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a264418.pdf

Very good articles regarding Russian style "forced recon" or "recon-in-force". Historically recon-in-force was used in operational concept, but this can be used in tactical theater as well.

Depending on the game size and geometry, I also use this method time to time. Usually I rely on infiltrated / hidden dismounted recon infantry, I value recon so much. (fb.asp?m=4557731) However, what if map is very big when compared to force size, you have no idea about enemy forces (auto purchase), and geometry offers too few infiltrating route?

Your dismounted recon infantry would not move that far. If they can't infiltrate, their roles will be greatly limited. Recon armored cars have some mobility, but their armor is like toilet paper, they may die too quick before gather enough amount of information, or they can't move further beyond the certain line, where enemy ambush is certain.

In this case, depending on force size, platoon ~ company of tanks in recon zone might be a good way to force enemy to expose their position. Best scenario for 'recon-in-force' is assault, it sometimes works in meeting engagement. But I never tried this method in defensive scenario. You can use this method with NATO, but it is more favorable for PACT.

Don't place your recon tanks in the very front of the recon line, where enemy ATGM can directly see and catch right after the start of the game. Put them in front as much as possible, but try your best to hide them behind the treeline or buildings. Before you start the game, observe geometry carefully, and set several locations where your recon tanks can use as some sort of fire base against enemy defense positions, and prepare smoke zone on the field of possible enemy LOS on your route to fire base. Prepare HE zone on possible enemy positions. Leave some number of artillery, since you need to throw some DPICM on enemy position from pre-battle recon. Their recon route will be the route for your main force, so invest two or three TRPs for recon's route and possible firebase position.

Right after start, initiate smoke and HE, and DPICM on exposed enemy from pre-battle recon. Then, push your 'recon-in-force' troops. Try to use smoked route, and approach to possible enemy positions. If you gave them smoke cover wisely, then they should have 0 or only a few loss from long range ATGMs. Don't forget to bring at least two mortars for your recon tanks, they can react faster and smoke faster than artillery, for emergency situation.

The document linked above well explained about what 'recon-in-force' should achieve.
First, determine the actual location of the forward edge of the enemy defenses.
Second, activate the entire enemy defensive plan.
Third, determine enemy boundaries and flanks.
Fourth, determine positions, routes, fire support and deployment lines for enemy counterattacks.
Fifth, capture prisoners and documents.
Sixth, seize and retain positions advantageous for continued reconnaissance or exploitation during an actual attack.

You can't achieve number 5 from this game, but you can achieve all others in this game. Let your tanks move forward. To me, their top priority is to locate the position of enemy MBT and enemy ATGM. Next priority is location of enemy infantry defense line. Also, try to kill all enemy recon on their sight. M3 Bradley is dangerous, but they can't defend your APFSDS shot. Once you have good idea of enemy MBT and ATGM position (To me, detection of yellow icon or muzzle flash icon are enough), call air/gunship and call DPICM. Once you have good idea of enemy infantry-based defense line, call HE and airstrike.

Don't be greedy, your recon tank's mission is to locate the enemy positions, not the kill records.

You can reverse them whenever you want. You can push your recon tanks only until they figure out 1st priority (MBT and ATGM position), or until they find the 2nd priority (location of enemy infantry defense line). But this is your choice. If you lose too many recon tanks, or if you think your recon tanks finished a mission to locate enemy boundary lines, then reverse them to nearby 'firebase' after figure out 1st priority or up to 2nd priority. Then, wait until your main force come to the position, join them, and assault again.

Important thing is the smoke cover and 'forced recon' route. Smoke should well cover your approaching route of recons possible "firebase" positions. Route itself should be covered as much as possible, like valley or behind the woods. Don't just throw your recon tanks to the hell hole, try your best to save them, this should not be a suicide mission (though I admit that this mission is very dangerous) Your recon tanks will join your main assault force, losing them too much would cost your game.

Which recon tanks should be used is depending on era. For 88~91 FRG, I prefer mix of Leo1A4 and Leo2. M48 is good enough for recon tank mission, but they are too slow and their ability to overcome terrain is not that good. For 88~91 USSR, I prefer T64A/B. T64s have a bit better reverse speed than T72, it helps their maneuvering (still very slow). You can use highest tier tanks, but losing them costs too much, so I usually bring second or third tier tanks for recon-in-force mission. But you can bring top tier tanks if you want.

Reason of why PACT is advantageous for 'recon-in-force' mission is, because of relatively cheaper price than NATO and artillery amount. With good amount of artillery, you can give good amount of smoke field which increase the survivality of your recon tanks.

While I served in Army as a member of recon battalion, I read about those concepts but I never had a chance to practice such concepts in exercise, because I was in infantry regiment (it was not US army). My training was more inclined to ambush, track, infiltrate... Yet, while playing SB Pro, Command Ops and Flashpoint Campaign, I used this concept several times and it worked nicely, depending on conditions. I only used this methods several times in AB, but those few attempts were successful. I bet many other players of AB will be able to use this method, and even do more creative things. I think me or someone may try a scenario for such 'recon-in-force' concept, once find a good ground for such mission.

Return to “Armored Brigade”