Carry On up the Pacific: AllenK vs sPzAbt.502 (Allied AAR)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AllenK

Carry On up the Pacific: AllenK vs sPzAbt.502 (Allied AAR)

Post by AllenK »

06/12/1941

Los Angeles

Dear Diary,

In a somewhat momentous day, I was summonsed to see the leaders of the free world and asked to take over the Pacific Theatre of Operations. My remark it seemed rather a large area for just one hospital drew some puzzled looks but then everybody smiled, and it turned out this ‘originality’ was proof I was just the sort of chap they were looking for. Apparently, in these modern times, they need a leader whose mind hasn’t been conditioned by years of training and conformity to long established military traditions and orthodoxy.

There was lots of inspiring stuff about new brooms and, well, if truth be told, it was getting near lunch, so my mind started to drift towards the expected culinary delights. Anyway, the gist of it was I need to stay away from packaging and keep the curtains open in order to contemplate the cloudless wonder of the heavens whenever I feel so inclined.

I must admit to having had some private misgivings about the logic, but I suppose everyone must be prepared to do their bit in times of need. Cometh the hour and all that. I was pointed towards this body of knowledge, colloquially known as ‘The Forum’, where a great many studies and simulations have been completed and from which I may seek help if needed. A quick once over seems to suggest, if war with Japan comes, I simply need to avoid doing anything stupid for the next twelve to eighteen months (goes without saying really) and then the industrial might of the good old US of A will kick in and sweep me to victory. All in all, this seems like a pretty straight forwards gig.

Rumour from Japan is of some new fellow called Warspite1 having taken over the helm. I wonder what this portends? Oh well, tomorrow I fly out to my new appointment and the sunny delights of Hawaii. Tonight, I shall settle into a comfortable, trouble-free sleep. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
Anachro

RE: Carry On up the Pacific: AllenK vs Warspite 1 (Allied AAR)

Post by Anachro »

Rumour from Japan is of some new fellow called Warspite1 having taken over the helm. I wonder what this portends?

Sinking the mighty BB Warspite is the linchpin of his expansion plans. Be prepared!
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

ORIGINAL: Anachro
Rumour from Japan is of some new fellow called Warspite1 having taken over the helm. I wonder what this portends?

Sinking the might BB Warspite is the linchpin of his expansion plans. Be prepared!

Hopefully the old girl will prove a suitable nemesis to her namesake.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: AllenK

Sinking the might BB Warspite is the linchpin of his expansion plans. Be prepared!

"Old is an understatement . . "

He'll never attack her. In fact, tell him where she is at all times.
The Moose
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Sing along with me!

"We gotta find the battle ship that's causing such a fuss
we gotta sink the Warspite cause the world depends on us
'So hit the decks a running boys, and swing those guns around'
we gotta sink the Warspite, we gotta put 'er down"
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Sing along with me!

[:D]
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Sing along with me!

[:D]
[:D][:D][:D]
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

07/12/1941
Hawaii

Dear Diary,

It seems the long-anticipated war with Japan has rather caught everyone around these parts by surprise and it turns out quite a lot could possibly go wrong.

To start with, some General decided the best way to protect aircraft is to park them all together, out in the middle of the field. That way everyone can see them and anybody trying to pinch one or generally chuck the odd spanner in the works will be easily spotted. Judging by all the bits of aeroplane currently on view, the Japanese found it quite a sight too. I suppose in a way it’s contributed to their protection as no one will want anything to do with them now.

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 16 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 2 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 106 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 14 destroyed on ground
B-18A Bolo: 60 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 6 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 54 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 11 destroyed on ground
P-36A Mohawk: 23 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 1 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 63 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 3 destroyed on ground
A-20A Havoc: 30 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 4 destroyed on ground
SBD-1 Dauntless: 27 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 6 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 10 damaged
O-47A: 3 destroyed on ground
C-33: 1 damaged
C-33: 1 destroyed on ground
R3D-2: 1 destroyed on ground
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 destroyed

Over at the harbour things don’t look much better.

Allied Ships
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 10, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
DM Pruitt
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 11, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires
AV Curtiss, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AV Wright
AV Tangier
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DM Montgomery
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Castor, Torpedo hits 1
DD Conyngham, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
PT-27, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CL Honolulu, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 4, on fire
SS Tautog, Bomb hits 1
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 3, on fire
SS Cachalot, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
DD Patterson, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Dale, Bomb hits 1
DMS Perry, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Detroit, Bomb hits 1
DMS Wasmuth, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CL Helena, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AE Mauna Loa, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Allen, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Aylwin, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

News from Singapore is the Prince of Wales and Repulse each took four torpedoes and are no more. Japanese land forces are ashore at Kota Bauru but didn’t attack. Air raids across Malaysia caused considerable damage to the RAF but on later attacks at least some toll was taken of the bombers. Some 22 Sally’s, Betty’s and Nells are claimed. RAF counter raids were ineffectual penny packet affairs except for one spirited effort. Bless the old Stringbags.

Allied aircraft
Swordfish I x 2
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
xAK Meiten Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Swordfish I bombing from 6000 feet *
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

In the Philippines, air raids on Clarke were quite damaging. Batan Island has fallen. Elsewhere, air attacks on Wake were beaten off with losses but 4 aircraft damaged on the ground. Attacks on other areas were less effective. Midway was bombarded by a CL and DD. An earlier sighting report mentioned AO’s present and claimed one was hit.

It appears there is going to be much to do, which may take some time. Curiously, whereas the air force was all clustered together, the merchant marine, which, according to The Forum, will be my life blood, is scattered to the four winds and will take weeks to get into any semblance of order. Much like the air force as it happens. The Chief Engineer has just told me a lot of it looks worse than it is, and he should be able to get some of the old crates back in the sky at some point. He went away muttering something unintelligible about the strain on the engines and aligning crystals.

On the bright side, my arrival seems to have boosted morale considerably. I only had to put up my new door plaque – Supreme Navy, Air Force & Unit Commander Pacific (SNAFUCOM-PAC) - and everybody was immediately smiling and joking.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

That looks like a pretty good tally for your opponent. The good news is that it wasn't because of anything you did. :)

I like SNAFUCOM-PAC. I think you already made one major goof that falls in the snafu category. If I'm reading your post right, Japan attacked on July 12, 1941, which means you did something to trigger the war nearly five months early. Is this a John III mod?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

He is from England, they tend to do things backwards( drive on the left, etc.)
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

That looks like a pretty good tally for your opponent. The good news is that it wasn't because of anything you did. :)

I like SNAFUCOM-PAC. I think you already made one major goof that falls in the snafu category. If I'm reading your post right, Japan attacked on July 12, 1941, which means you did something to trigger the war nearly five months early. Is this a John III mod?

British date format - DD/MM/YYYY.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Dang. That might get awkward.

At least we speak the same language, which may come in handy, like if I need to remind Warspite to put a flashlight in his trunk before going to the football game.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

They do seem to have done rather well. In fact, a Day of Infamy ........., infamy, they've all got it infamy.

We're playing the 2012 Beta Scen 1 by AndyMac.

I can see John III's new range developing now. The Over-Enthusiastic Admiral series of mods.
AllenK

Post by AllenK »

At least we speak the same language, which may come in handy, like if I need to remind Warspite to put a flashlight in his trunk before going to the football game.

I don't think putting a flashlight in Warspite1's trunks will be a pretty sight. Probably the less illumination the better.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

"Old is an understatement . . "

He'll never attack her. In fact, tell him where she is at all times.

The ship should be at the forefront of any operation. Significant psy-ops value in using it. Or in losing it...
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Warspite 1: I translated Canoerebel's instructions and put a torch in the boot - what in bloody hell was he thinking? This isn't helpful at all!

Attachments
torchintheboot.jpg
torchintheboot.jpg (444.55 KiB) Viewed 319 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

They do seem to have done rather well. In fact, a Day of Infamy ........., infamy, they've all got it infamy.

We're playing the 2012 Beta Scen 1 by AndyMac.

I can see John III's new range developing now. The Over-Enthusiastic Admiral series of mods.
[:D][:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

BTW - what's with your CA Belfast counter avatar? Didn't they read the London Naval treaty - cruisers with 6" guns are CLs!
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Good luck in your new contest. Oddly my long time opponent are starting another PBEM game and I am the Allies this time and I am awaiting the outcome of the first day attacks. It will be interesting to compare our outcomes as we proceed. Any hints on your grand strategy on confronting the Empire?
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Warspite 1: I translated Canoerebel's instructions and put a torch in the boot - what in bloody hell was he thinking? This isn't helpful at all!

Not to mention the 'football' game.
Headers are not recommended in American football.

Return to “After Action Reports”