Liking the Game

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
mesquite5

Liking the Game

Post by mesquite5 »

Well, I'm loving the game....I was an infantryman in the 2/41 inf regt of 2nd AD and stationed TDY at Wildflecken in 1975. I was tickled to
see that Wildflecken is in the game! The buildings are turned the wrong way and probably not right, and the defunct airfield isn't there either I don't think.Still it is cool.Also the monastery I used to hike to or at least several times is there also.Kreuzberg monastery.
Ihope there will be more maps created in the future, and would love to see more modern equipment and battles for the game.

s
Rosseau

RE: Liking the Game

Post by Rosseau »

Best game to come along in a while, I agree. If you have time, I had a question, being you were there:

I've read U.S. military's opinion based on training exercises was WP tactics of the '70s would have worked (objectives taken) with heavy losses. I can role-play those tactics to the letter in-game, but not sure how AI will react. Probably better than WP of that era. But must also consider you were in before the big Reagan build-up and general overhaul of U.S. Army.

Either way, thanks.
mesquite5

Post by mesquite5 »

Well, at the time I was a lowly E-2 as I had just joined the army in Oct of '74. I joined for a 3 year enlistment and was able to pick my job and be guaranteed 16 months at the base of my choosing. I picked FT.Hood which was only 180 miles or so from my home in Dallas and I had a grandmother who lived in Killeen,Tx right outside the base. So....after basic training at Ft Polk I arrived at Ft Hood in February '75 I was assigned to 2/41 and was promptly told I'd be going to Germany in 4 months for a 6 month TDY culminating in the Brigade '75 operation which took place in October of '75, part of the Reforger excercises. As a private they basically led me to believe we wouldn't live long if the Soviets crossed the border, which wasn't too far from Wildflecken. I believed we would be pretty much cannon fodder just slowing down the attack for the follow on forces coming from the states.
for me, it was a great time....we did a lot of training. but had lots of time to ourselves also, and we got extra pay due to it being a TDY deployment. Oh, and I did actually meet a veteran of Stalingrad on a work assignment we had removing expired cans of fruit from cases of C-Rations. He escaped Stalingrad due to being wounded and went out on one of the JU-52's. Sorry, I can't help you anymore than that...just wasn't filled in on the bigger picture at the time.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

No, good story. One of the happiest days of my life was when the Wall came down. Glad your service went well [;)]
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

ORIGINAL: mesquite5

Well, I'm loving the game....I was an infantryman in the 2/41 inf regt of 2nd AD and stationed TDY at Wildflecken in 1975. I was tickled to
see that Wildflecken is in the game! The buildings are turned the wrong way and probably not right, and the defunct airfield isn't there either I don't think.Still it is cool.Also the monastery I used to hike to or at least several times is there also.Kreuzberg monastery.
Ihope there will be more maps created in the future, and would love to see more modern equipment and battles for the game.

s

It's probably too much work to have all the buildings turned the right way, but I'll report the airfield issue to our map designer.
Know thyself!
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Cool story keep them coming

Return to “Armored Brigade”