Naval bombardment question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bradfordkay

Naval bombardment question

Post by bradfordkay »

Can you use naval bombardment against troops besieging one of your own bases? I know that when bombarding an enemy held base the airfield, CD units, base structures and enemy vessels are more likely to be targeted - but that doesn't say that you can't target enemy troops in your own base hex. Of course, the manual doesn't say that you can, either...
fair winds,
Brad
Leandros

RE: Naval bombardment question

Post by Leandros »

Yes, you can - it does.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Yup. It does....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Yes...Done it many times.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Ditto.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Depending upon the port, they can rearm there as well.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Depending upon the port, they can rearm there as well.

Plus, NS devices.

Edit: Oops, or AKE's

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I've had great success bombarding both while invading and defending
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Well, my first two naval bombardments in defense of Akyab - using battleships and heavy cruisers - netted a grand total of six (!) squads disabled. I am not sure that it was worth the cost of the ammo. I certainly get more enemy troops destroyed and disabled when they bombard my troops - counter battery fire is deadly!
fair winds,
Brad
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Well, my first two naval bombardments in defense of Akyab - using battleships and heavy cruisers - netted a grand total of six (!) squads disabled. I am not sure that it was worth the cost of the ammo. I certainly get more enemy troops destroyed and disabled when they bombard my troops - counter battery fire is deadly!
Not quoting any source right now but many of us can find it...A study was made after the war and it was found that for all the shells fired, bullets expended, etc...every military life lost cost something ridiculous like a ton of lead, etc..
Saw that post recently of one of our forumites demanding "sources" for his own edification, other than the internet, and at one time I could not blame him.
Of late, if I question the veracity of long time acquaintances, I can involve myself checking the numbers, rather than insulting people.
None of us are children.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Be aware that the progression of damage to an LCU is:

- fatigue and morale effects, and destruction of supply.
- disruption - some of the squad members are killed or wounded so the squad cannot function at full force*
- disablement - enough squad members are killed or wounded to make the squad ineffective at its job*
- destruction - virtually all the squad members are dead or permanently crippled so it will never be able to fight again *

One bombardment is likely to only get started on the sequence, and the first two effects are not reported in the combat report (or anywhere else their enemy can see). Persistence will get the job done, especially if you can get more bombardments happening before the disrupted/disabled troops recover.

Note * - my description of what is happening is drawn from the mismatches that sometimes occur between the numbers of bodies reported affected vs the number of squads reported affected. Combat squads have 13 men but you can have 65 men destroyed/disabled and 10 squads affected - i.e. not all squad members are necessarily affected by the combat.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Thanks, these IJA troops have been heavily disrupted already by constant combat with the defenders of Akyab over the past few months. Surely that condition is taken into consideration by the bombardment calculations?

Now that Chittagong just improved its port facilities to level 7 I can use it for re-arming and will be able to keep up the pounding. I had been required to send the SC TFs back to Madras for re-arming until now.
fair winds,
Brad
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Thanks, these IJA troops have been heavily disrupted already by constant combat with the defenders of Akyab over the past few months. Surely that condition is taken into consideration by the bombardment calculations?

Now that Chittagong just improved its port facilities to level 7 I can use it for re-arming and will be able to keep up the pounding. I had been required to send the SC TFs back to Madras for re-arming until now.
1. Why would troops condition matter for where the shells will fall? Bombing/bombardment hurts directly and adds to the current disruption/fatigue levels
2. AKEs are indispensable for the serial bombardments
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

1. Why would troops condition matter for where the shells will fall? Bombing/bombardment hurts directly and adds to the current disruption/fatigue levels
2. AKEs are indispensable for the serial bombardments
Yes, detection level is the critical thing when troops are hidden in good terrain or high forts. But I have completely eliminated units by sustained bombardments by sea and air, and sometimes with LCU artillery thrown in, if I have good tubes nearby. The little mountain/jungle guns and mortars are not so helpful against dug-in troops, but help a lot in your own defence. Guns of 155mm/6 inch caliber and up can be highly effective.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Well, my first two naval bombardments in defense of Akyab - using battleships and heavy cruisers - netted a grand total of six (!) squads disabled. I am not sure that it was worth the cost of the ammo.

Do you have your naval spotter planes over the target?

Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
Well, my first two naval bombardments in defense of Akyab - using battleships and heavy cruisers - netted a grand total of six (!) squads disabled. I am not sure that it was worth the cost of the ammo.

Most naval bombardments take place in the dark - mine, anyway - do the spotter planes work in the dark?

Fred

-----
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Most naval bombardments take place in the dark - mine, anyway - do the spotter planes work in the dark?

Fred

-----

Yes, Night time spotters do work....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

No, I don't have my shipborne spotter aircraft over the target, as I did not believe that they would fly for a night bombardment. I will try that... do I have to set them to "night ops"?
fair winds,
Brad
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Yes, set them to night, 1000 feet altitude, range 0. Do NOT assign a target, that might send them off doing recon instead of spotting.
I often bombard both night and day with the same TF. Set it to "remain on station" (if it is safe enough to stick around). I look at the order of the ships in the TF listing and the first one that has a spotter aircraft I set for night spotting. The second one in the list I set for day spotting.

It only takes one aircraft to spot for the whole TF, even though the message will say "spotting for (launching ship).
If there are other float planes in the TF, I set one to do nighttime recon and one to do daytime recon (to raise the DL for bombardments that happen after they fly).
PetrOs

Post by PetrOs »

Which mission should they be set as spotter?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”