W10 driving me crazy

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

scout1

W10 driving me crazy

Post by scout1 »

Looking for a link or thread relative to W10 and AE ......

Copied game file/directory from a W7 platform to W10 and am struggling with running the game .... I launch the *.exe directly from Explorer. Goes OK to the "loading" page (full screen). But then goes stupid afterwards and keeps trying to go to windows mode, freezes, doesn't update right .....
Jut how can I threaten W10 to behave itself when launching AE ?
Any help would be appreciated ... Have a game in Jan, 46 and the Imperial Army is planning a game winning breakout operation from Tokyo (which is currently surrounded) ....
BBfanboy

RE: W10 driving me crazy

Post by BBfanboy »

There are a plethora of Win 10 threads on this section of the forum that run back to the time Win 10 came out. They cover both switches under Win 10 and setting to be made within Win 10 itself.

I see one on the current page of thread and at least two on page 2. Just browse the threads until you find one covering the stuff you are interested in - it's not worth posting it all over again for every player that runs into problems.

Here is one of the threads on page 2: tm.asp?m=4390639
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

There are a plethora of Win 10 threads on this section of the forum that run back to the time Win 10 came out. They cover both switches under Win 10 and setting to be made within Win 10 itself.

I see one on the current page of thread and at least two on page 2. Just browse the threads until you find one covering the stuff you are interested in - it's not worth posting it all over again for every player that runs into problems.

Here is one of the threads on page 2: tm.asp?m=4390639

I understand and agree ….. particularly since ANYONE converting to W10 likely has been challenged ….
No luck so far for me and I haven't chucked the laptop out into the snow yet … and unfortunately Microsoft doesn't provide the remotest of help …….

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Sorry, why did you copy the game folder? I switched from WinXP to Win10 and just made a new install of WITP:AE. After some struggles with the proper switch combination for WITPAE.exe file, the game runs fine.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Like Yaab said, you've to install the game using the game setup file and not copying and paste the game folders/files from a previous installation.
Check the thread below for on how to download the game setup files from the member's area:
tm.asp?m=4290024
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Like Yaab said, you've to install the game using the game setup file and not copying and paste the game folders/files from a previous installation.
Check the thread below for on how to download the game setup files from the member's area:
tm.asp?m=4290024

As to my copying the game folder vs a fresh install was due to an on going game (Jan 46) when I made the change to the W10 platform. Unfortunately I could not find my upgrade install file to the version of the game we are playing. So I defaulted to what had been successful in carrying multiple copies of the game/folder, each unique to an on-going game. Though in that case all were on a W7 platform.

I would be curious as to what "switch settings" worked for W10 for other players ……..
scout1

Post by scout1 »

And to address the download from Matrix option, the version of the game I was looking for was not available for download either
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Using an updated version should not affect your saved game adversely. The updates are tested to be backward compatible with saved games. You will get a message saying the version has been changed and ask if you want to update your save game. Just answer yes - actual database changes are small in official scenarios. Most of the changes affect the way the game engine handles calculations for combat and other "AI" jobs (like determining if ships detect one another).

So just download the last official update and install it, copy your saved game into the correct folder and start it up.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

What you have to do is install the basic game somewhere. Then you can move your existing game files and use them.
The first installation sets registry values up.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

What you have to do is install the basic game somewhere. Then you can move your existing game files and use them.

This is correct and necessary, but you still might need to adjust your switches to make the game work optimally on Windows 10.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

This is correct and necessary, but you still might need to adjust your switches to make the game work optimally on Windows 10.

While true, there are no switches that are required to have the game run. The switches will help the program run better.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

scout1, my Win10 works fine, but it is actually WITP:AE that drives me crazy.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

While true, there are no switches that are required to have the game run. The switches will help the program run better.

The primary challenge I've seen is graphics based during launch. Load screen always displays just fine, but when it changes to the next screen it kicks out. I can attempt to reopen with the icon at the bottom of the screen but only stays briefly. After multiple repeats it gets to the main page which will stay put but the graphics are hosed ….
Odd thing is it won't do this 100% of the time …. running about 50% of the time …. enough to be annoying …..
Display is set to 1920 x 1080 ......

Is there a means of running the game at a higher resolution WITHOUT it showing up as very tiny ?
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Not using a laptop screen.

Alfred
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Not using a laptop screen.

Alfred

Thanks …..

Display issue mainly resolved after reading through additional posts …… Also over came the scroll delay problem as well ….

Are the switch settings definition in the Manual ? I looked but didn't find it on first pass .... If not in the manual, where might they be defined ?
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

There is WhatsNew.pdf file in the game's main folder. The switches are described there.

Return to “Tech Support”