Waypoint modifiers

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
Phoenix100

Waypoint modifiers

Post by Phoenix100 »

Am I right that it's only one set of modifiers per waypoint chain? So one set of modifiers applies to the whole chain? By modifiers I mean the choices in the SOP and Formation menus, for example. So, in a chain of waypoints, I can't set different SOP or formation modifiers per waypoint?
Werewolf13

RE: Waypoint modifiers

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

Am I right that it's only one set of modifiers per waypoint chain? So one set of modifiers applies to the whole chain? By modifiers I mean the choices in the SOP and Formation menus, for example. So, in a chain of waypoints, I can't set different SOP or formation modifiers per waypoint?

You are correct sir.

What I do is end up micromanaging the unit by changing the SOP and formation at the point where I wish I could have had the AI do it with a waypoint. Unfortunately for me that results in me pretty much playing smaller battles and not messing with brigade sized engagements.

In another thread the game developer stated that enhancements to waypoint settings was on his list of things to add but he honestly stated he didn't know when that task would be tackled.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Ok. Thanks Werewolf. The problem with the micromanaging is the command delay, I guess. I hope he does get round to us being able to attach modifiers to each waypoint. We do without that in Command Ops, for example, but at Command Ops scale you don't really notice these things - it's all abstracted to at least company level. Down in the detail here, in AB, you do notice these tactical limitations. I want to race a formation through concealed, safe terrain, on road, in march order, asap, all mounts loaded up, not too worried about threats, get to near the area to be scouted or attacked and have them unload there and move forward cautiously, breaking contact, and seeking cover (on contact), or halting unloading and seeking cover on contact etc etc. (I'd also like them to them call in at least on map fire support to assist, unless I've actually disabled that - but that's a different desire and issue.) That's quite a simple series of chained commands, I think (outside coding, lol). At the moment this is only possible with a level of micromanagement and consequent command delay, I think - which makes it less attractive to play with long chains of planned waypoints.

Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

At the moment this is only possible with a level of micromanagement and consequent command delay, I think - which makes it less attractive to play with long chains of planned waypoints.

Exactly...

RE: Command Ops (1 & 2). You can change orders in CO. Relatively easy to do. Place multiple move orders. You can adjust the move type and formation at each move order along the path with some checkbox settings too (it's the Task Edit command I believe). At final destination set that to what ever final you need, defense is the most common I guess and set the formation, frontage, depth, facing etc. I just recently played Joe's Bridge on CO2 and it still works.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I don't think so, Werewolf. You can change orders easily in CO2, but you can't modify each waypoint in a chain (except by moving it). The task edit modifiers affect the whole chain, no? You can select each waypoint, and select edit for it, but then the edits will apply to the whole chain, I believe. Try it and let me know if I'm wrong.

'Sequential tasking' - as it's called, sometimes - is a biggy on Dave's list for future development (partly because [he has said] it's needed for dismount ops - something AB already has and CO2 STILL doesn't have...). A lot of work, he has said.

Only mentioned it as it might be asking too much of AB to be able to modify individual waypoints in a chain, considering you can't even do that in CO, which has been out for over ten years now....
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Three games I know of that you some ability to have orders at waypoints: Combat Mission (all varieties), CMNAO, and Steel Beasts.
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

Currently that's true. Perhaps in the future we'll have a more advanced waypoint system.
Know thyself!
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the 'disabled' waypoints. When you hold down the 'control' key you can pre-plan paths. The waypoint command delay keeps going down in the disabled state. When you want the plan to be executed hold down the 'control' key again and click on the waypoint. That's one way to reduce command delay.
Know thyself!
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

I don't think so, Werewolf.

Well - Dang. You're not wrong Phoenix. I've been changin' the waypoint formation setups at each waypoint since Command Ops wasn't even Command Ops (Red Devils over Arnhem? Aegean something or other and during all that time I never once noticed that the changes impacted every single waypoint in the chain. If I could post pics on here it'd be the one of the statue with the greek guy sitting with his face buried in the palm of his hand. I've been told for years by bosses, fellow employees and subordinates that I'm just not very detailed oriented. Proof's in the pudding I guess.

Thanks for catchin' that.
ORIGINAL: Phoenix100'Sequential tasking' - as it's called, sometimes - is a biggy on Dave's list for future development (partly because [he has said] it's needed for dismount ops - something AB already has and CO2 STILL doesn't have...). A lot of work, he has said.

Only mentioned it as it might be asking too much of AB to be able to modify individual waypoints in a chain, considering you can't even do that in CO, which has been out for over ten years now....

Yeah... I understand that he's only got time to fool with CO2 now when he's not at his day job. CO2 hasn't had an update in - what - last 2 years or so? Been waiting on the Patton Battlepack (which appears to have been renamed to Bradley at Bay or maybe they dumped the Patton one) for a couple of years now. Luckily CO2 is so very, very replayable that it remains one of my favorites - and NOW! I know even more about it! Thanks! [:D]

Michael Andress

Return to “Armored Brigade”