LCU experience

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Powloon

LCU experience

Post by Powloon »

From the manual section 8.2.1.4 Objectives from my reading of it the experience rating of a LCU can be increased if it is in rest/training mode, it is below the maximum level of experience fot the nation it belongs to and has a 100 planning points for an objective.

Has this changed in the Betas? I am playing v AI on a Beta (can't remember the version) and am using the tracker tool. I have noticed several instances where only partially prepped units (less than 100 planning points) are gaining experience from being in rest mode. Is this WAD?
michaelm75au

RE: LCU experience

Post by michaelm75au »

Experience can increase when prepare is less than 100 and below national level.
But this in place of the possible 2nd point of prep - more experienced an unit is, the more the prep is likely to increase; less experienced, more chance an experience point gain instead.

OpMode does not influence this.
Has always been from my understanding.

Michael
Powloon

Post by Powloon »

Thanks thats good to know. I guess then that the advantage for being 100% prepped is that you get 2 opportunities for experience gain?

I have been steadfastly refusing to change the prep on my Chinese units but now that I know they don't need to wait 50 turns after a prep change before experience gains can happen it might change my mind.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Thread resurrection.

Scen 100, Allies, turns 2-20.

It seems that a unit which is below national experience level and is 100% prepped can almost NEVER gain an experience point IF the unit sits in a base/hex which is constantly RECONNED/ATTACKED by enemy aircraft.

I have been waiting for the 74th Corps in Changsha (exp 35, 100% prepped for Changsha) to raise it experience level to 36, but it almost NEVER happens. In the meantime, units with 100% prep in Lanchow, Tienshui, Chungking gained 2-3 points in 20 turns, and one unit sitting in a hex NW of Changteh raised its exp from 35 to 40. All those bases/hexes have not been RECONNED/ATTACKED by the AI (no icons over those hexes during turn resolution).

The only time the 74th Corps actually has raised its experience to 36 was when THUNDERSTORMS weather covered Changsha and no enemy missions were flown against the base.

In the meantime, US Army units in PH and Tacoma gained 7-6 exp points in 20 turns.

Thus, the information in the manual is incomplete. There is a small chance that the unit will get exp point from training and the chance is reduced to ZERO if the base/LCU is reconned/attacked from air on a daily basis. So ideally , the training must take place outside the range of enemy aircraft for consistent exp gains.

EDIT: I checked my Operation reports for the period between Dec. 7 - Dec. 25. On every SINGLE day the AI reconned Changsha with the exepction of two days - Dec. 8 and Dec. 10.
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Thread resurrection.

Scen 100, Allies, turns 2-20.

It seems that a unit which is below national experience level and is 100% prepped can almost NEVER gain an experience point IF the unit sits in a base/hex which is constantly RECONNED/ATTACKED by enemy aircraft.

I have been waiting for the 74th Corps in Changsha (exp 35, 100% prepped for Changsha) to raise it experience level to 36, but it almost NEVER happens. In the meantime, units with 100% prep in Lanchow, Tienshui, Chungking gained 2-3 points in 20 turns, and one unit sitting in a hex NW of Changteh raised its exp from 35 to 40. All those bases/hexes have not been RECONNED/ATTACKED by the AI (no icons over those hexes during turn resolution).

The only time the 74th Corps actually has raised its experience to 36 was when THUNDERSTORMS weather covered Changsha and no enemy missions were flown against the base.

In the meantime, US Army units in PH and Tacoma gained 7-6 exp points in 20 turns.

Thus, the information in the manual is incomplete. There is a small chance that the unit will get exp point from training and the chance is reduced to ZERO if the base/LCU is reconned/attacked from air on a daily basis. So ideally , the training must take place outside the range of enemy aircraft for consistent exp gains.

EDIT: I checked my Operation reports for the period between Dec. 7 - Dec. 25. On every SINGLE day the AI reconned Changsha with the exepction of two days - Dec. 8 and Dec. 10.
You do not state it, but you do have the unit set to rest
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I have tried the following settings over several test turns:

Combat/Rest/Reserve (Tienshui/Lanchow/NW Changteh units all gained exp points while in Combat posture)

dividing to ABC

best leaders/worst leaders (beacuse other Chinese LCU who gained exp points had very mediocre leaders)

turn off replacements(new replacements dilute current exp and exp gain can be erased by taking new replacements in the same turn)

adding support squads from HQ/ training without adeqaute support(cause units in Thienshui were undersupported yet still gained exp)

Nothing worked , the unit is stuck at 35 exp while other units have gained exp. I have restarted the campaign and I am moving the 74th Corps to a hex between Kweyiang and Tuyun for training.

Normally, you wouldn't notice this buggy behavior in other nations (India, CONUSA, Australia) since they are away from enemy action but a) China is the only place when you need exp gains from the get-go b) China is the only place where you actually train on the frontlines. I guess only far North ( Hami, Urumchi) is outside Jap recon/bomber range in december, 1941.

Seems the training only takes place if the training unit is free for both 12-hour phases from enemy action in a given hex. That is good news for the Japs, beacuse they can suppress Chinese training by flying lame recon/bomb mission over Chinese cities, even the ones in the interior, like Chungking.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I have got pictures [:)]

The good (gained 3 exp points in 3 turns even though the LCU has disruption and mored disabled squads then active ones)

The ugly (the Japs are photographing every single soldier in this unit, so I guess the Chinese have no time to do training)

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Taking replacements can drop the experience level.

Alfred
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Yep, correcting this and redoing turns.[:)]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Yep, correcting this and redoing turns.[:)]
The units you showed are already set to "no replacements" and "no upgrade". If they are still gaining troops it is because the pools are full of those devices and the game engine will distribute them because of the surplus. What are you going to change to stop that?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

BBfanboy, your eyes play tricks on you. The second picture has "replacements delayed" message. Anyway, redid the turn and still no exp gain. Can't really believe I can chase possible bugs nine years after game realease. This game goes deeper than the Moria mine.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

BBfanboy, your eyes play tricks on you. The second picture has "replacements delayed" message. Anyway, redid the turn and still no exp gain. Can't really believe I can chase possible bugs nine years after game realease. This game goes deeper than the Moria mine.
You are right - was not adequately coffeed up to see clearly I guess.
If your delving into game depths turns up a Balrog, RUN!

Attachments
gandalfan..eposter.jpg
gandalfan..eposter.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 368 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The second picture has "replacements delayed" message.

In my experience this message normally means the unit has just taken replacements.

I have a question. What is the relationship with these units and the proximity of enemy units? I would think that would have more of a bearing on this than recon flights.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

The closest Jap units sit in Wuchow/Hankow hexes.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

OK. There's one other thing. Units with higher experience levels gain it more slowly. The one you show that gained three is still only at 33. The other unit was at 35 to start. At what point the level slows, I've no idea. From my experience I can only say that as it gets closer to the national average the slower it will increase.

Another factor may be the leadership numbers. I do not know which may affect this increase.

The other point I'd like to make here is... Does it really matter? I mean as long as they get there eventually. I really don't even look in my games.

We will never know everything, and I for one don't think we really need to have every minute detail.

Hope this doesn't sound harsh. Its not meant to be. Just sayin'.[:)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

rustysi, I dont think that this is the case.

This is the 18th Corps, starting NW of Changteh, prepped 100% at start for Ichang. Its starting exp is 35, just like the 74th Corps. Take note, the units gains its first exp point after the first Jap turn is resolved and PH attack is concluded.

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

The 18th Corps in the Editor. You can see its starting experience is 35.

mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, I see mine gaining morale but not experiance

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Actually, it all makes sense now.

When you go to he leader selection screen, there are several leaders who are best suited for "rear area". If you define rear area as a hex/base with no enemy activity at all (air/LCU/naval bombardment), then a unit sitting in such a base will gain exp/morale/replacements/ INDEPENDENT of its leader stats. Since all LCUs need leaders, you just select the worst ones for LCUs sitting in rear areas, while you release those leaders whose stats are deemed by the code to be good enough for frontline combat and the myriad of leader checks it involves. The whole training process runs on autopilot with leader stats having no bearing on it WHATSOEVER.
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, I don't know if any off that is true. But if i am training a unit I intend on putting into combat I will give it the leader who will lead it in combat.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”