some initial concerns/questions1

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
Adam Rinkleff

some initial concerns/questions1

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

1) Is there anyway to adjust sounds? The sound for infantry is extremely repetitive and annoying. I had hoped the game was more like the video that advertised it, but the sound of infantry movement is terrible. Even in the player mode, you can't get away from it. My player can hear marching infantry from half a kilometer away.

2) How do you move a TOW ATGM squad? I see they are immobile, but somehow they moved there in the first place, so how do you get them to move somewhere else? Immobile units should be clearly identified in the setup, so they aren't stuck somewhere useless.

3) How do you fire upon a region or a building? This is a basic tactic that appears to be not allowed in the game? You should not have to wait for visual sighting of an enemy to fire upon their location.

4) How do you adjust OOB? What if I want three platoons in a company, instead of just two platoons?
Veitikka

RE: some initial concerns/questions1

Post by Veitikka »

ORIGINAL: AdamRinkleff

1) Is there anyway to adjust sounds? The sound for infantry is extremely repetitive and annoying. I had hoped the game was more like the video that advertised it, but the sound of infantry movement is terrible. Even in the player mode, you can't get away from it. My player can hear marching infantry from half a kilometer away.

I believe what you hear are your own (the player character's) footsteps. The player character footstep volume can be adjusted in the audio options.

2) How do you move a TOW ATGM squad? I see they are immobile, but somehow they moved there in the first place, so how do you get them to move somewhere else? Immobile units should be clearly identified in the setup, so they aren't stuck somewhere useless.

The TOW is a very heavy piece of equipment. The support units don't have transports because the AI would not be able to use them properly.

How should the immobile units be identified?

3) How do you fire upon a region or a building? This is a basic tactic that appears to be not allowed in the game? You should not have to wait for visual sighting of an enemy to fire upon their location.

Currently it's not possible. There have been plans to make the units fire the enemy 'muzzle flash' symbols, but this approach has some unresolved issues.

4) How do you adjust OOB? What if I want three platoons in a company, instead of just two platoons?

Two platoons in a company? What do you mean by that?
Know thyself!
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

I believe what you hear are your own (the player character's) footsteps. The player character footstep volume can be adjusted in the audio options.

I'm confused... Are you the CEO, as it says in your profile? Anyways, I hear other people's footsteps. I can hear another infantry squad from 500m away! The audio options do not let you turn this off, all you can do is turn it down, but you cannot stop hearing the same repetitive sound over and over.

The default US infantry company within the game contains two platoons. I would to see the possibility of a three platoon company. Is there some way to edit the OOB?

--------------

With regard to area of effect fire, I'm not sure what the issue is, but this should be something that can be fixed. Basically, every unit should have the option to blindly fire at any location within line of sight, with a chance to hit anything that might be there.
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

ORIGINAL: Adam Rinkleff

I'm confused... Are you the CEO, as it says in your profile?

Yes, I'm the Veitikka Studios CEO and programmer.

Anyways, I hear other people's footsteps. I can hear another infantry squad from 500m away!

I suppose we're talking about the game, not about real-life? Heh heh, that was a jest. Anyway, you mean that you have the 'player character' enabled and you hear every footstep 500 meters around it? I don't think it should be like that.

The default US infantry company within the game contains two platoons. I would to see the possibility of a three platoon company. Is there some way to edit the OOB?

Do you happen to be talking about the M3 Cavalry Troops? They have just two platoons because in these platoons there are 5 vehicles. Most platoons have just 3-4 vehicles, so for gameplay reasons we decided to give them just 2 platoons.

You can edit it in the database editor. See this thread: tm.asp?m=4554702
Know thyself!
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

Anyway, you mean that you have the 'player character' enabled and you hear every footstep 500 meters around it? I don't think it should be like that.

Yes! In fact, even when in a moving vehicle, I can still hear the infantry. It is also a very repetitive sound, which is why I switched to a vehicle. In the future, you should have several different sounds which alternate. Regardless, I shouldn't be able to hear infantry walking around a half kilometer away.
Veitikka

Post by Veitikka »

ORIGINAL: Adam Rinkleff

Anyway, you mean that you have the 'player character' enabled and you hear every footstep 500 meters around it? I don't think it should be like that.

Yes! In fact, even when in a moving vehicle, I can still hear the infantry. It is also a very repetitive sound, which is why I switched to a vehicle. In the future, you should have several different sounds which alternate. Regardless, I shouldn't be able to hear infantry walking around a half kilometer away.

Can you record a video/audio of it? The footstep sound is picked randomly from the data\sound\infantry\movement\ground directory. If you want to completely remove it then replace them with a .wav file that contains nothing but silence.
Know thyself!
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

I was trying to make a video, but I was killed by an airstrike.

The video won't show much anyways, other than that I am in a vehicle, and I can hear infantry walking around from several hundred meters away. If they are close enough, I can hear them over the engine sound. The sound being played is indeed from infantry/movement/ground, but it is too loud and should not be audible from so far away.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: Veitikka

I'm having issues with the OOB also - not serious - borderline annoying. Here's an example.

I served in the US Army back in the 70's (Jan 72 - June 74). It was all in Germany. My unit was C Co/4thBn/64th Armor - 3rd Bgd/3rd Inf Division. During that time (and I'm pretty sure the same thing happens today) when operating in the field on training exercises it always happened that the Bn would give one tank company to an Inf Bn and that Inf Bn would give us one Infantry company then the infantry platoons would be divided up so that the remaining two tank companies each got 1 infantry platoon each and the 3rd Inf platoon would go to the Bn HQ. The two tank companies reinforced by an inf platoon each became company Task Forces, Tank Heavy. That always happened with - every now and then a different divying up happening depending on the situation (the most common being an org where there was one tk company with 2 tk platoons and one inf and one Co with with 2 Inf platoons and one tk plt (the extra tk platoon left over going to HHQ Co - to be used as a bn reserve. The US Army did that all the time in Vietnam too to the best of my knowledge so the practice was well tested in combat. The Army I served in was very, very flexible (we had to be - Warsaw Pact outnumbered us by at least 5 tks to 1 by low estimates and worst case by 8 - that's what the intel guys told us anyway). It would be a good thing if that kind of flexibility was available in AB.

Back on subject: Our Bn and the Inf Bn each always ended up with 3 combat companies and an HHQ as usual with each organized in a way that best supported the situation.

The issue in AB is that you can for example, buy 2 Tk platoons, a Tk Hq and 1 Inf Platoon but there's no way to assign them all together into one formation. Thus if I want to create battles that take place during the early 70's I cannot recreate the actual combat OOB's used by the US Army at the time.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

This:
The issue in AB is that you can for example, buy 2 Tk platoons, a Tk Hq and 1 Inf Platoon but there's no way to assign them all together into one formation. Thus I cannot recreate the actual combat OOB's
maxb

Post by maxb »

is there a way to change keyboard shortcuts?
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

This game's OOB and formation structure is different from what we see in real history. As far as I remember, realistic OOB and force structure is on their future work list, but it would take some time to see such features, since their hands are tied with more urgent works. I also wish to see such features someday.
PzBrig18

Post by PzBrig18 »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf13

ORIGINAL: Veitikka

I'm having issues with the OOB also - not serious - borderline annoying. Here's an example.

I served in the US Army back in the 70's (Jan 72 - June 74). It was all in Germany. My unit was C Co/4thBn/64th Armor - 3rd Bgd/3rd Inf Division. During that time (and I'm pretty sure the same thing happens today) when operating in the field on training exercises it always happened that the Bn would give one tank company to an Inf Bn and that Inf Bn would give us one Infantry company then the infantry platoons would be divided up so that the remaining two tank companies each got 1 infantry platoon each and the 3rd Inf platoon would go to the Bn HQ. The two tank companies reinforced by an inf platoon each became company Task Forces, Tank Heavy. That always happened with - every now and then a different divying up happening depending on the situation (the most common being an org where there was one tk company with 2 tk platoons and one inf and one Co with with 2 Inf platoons and one tk plt (the extra tk platoon left over going to HHQ Co - to be used as a bn reserve. The US Army did that all the time in Vietnam too to the best of my knowledge so the practice was well tested in combat. The Army I served in was very, very flexible (we had to be - Warsaw Pact outnumbered us by at least 5 tks to 1 by low estimates and worst case by 8 - that's what the intel guys told us anyway). It would be a good thing if that kind of flexibility was available in AB.

Back on subject: Our Bn and the Inf Bn each always ended up with 3 combat companies and an HHQ as usual with each organized in a way that best supported the situation.

The issue in AB is that you can for example, buy 2 Tk platoons, a Tk Hq and 1 Inf Platoon but there's no way to assign them all together into one formation. Thus if I want to create battles that take place during the early 70's I cannot recreate the actual combat OOB's used by the US Army at the time.

That is not only the US Troops, in the Bundeswehr we did the same until now.
Adam Rinkleff

Post by Adam Rinkleff »

Can someone else check whether they are hearing infantry movement? How far away can you hear them? I can easily hear them at 300+ meters. Do I have some setting wrong?

Return to “Armored Brigade”