Real time question

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
ivanov

Real time question

Post by ivanov »

The game is real time but is it pausable, turn based or does it have replay feature? Thanks.
Lest we forget.
exsonic01

RE: Real time question

Post by exsonic01 »

No it is not like combat mission. This game's 'round mode' have more freedom (you can still issue the command during round, you just can't save the game during round), but it is unable to rewind the moment.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

It's real time, but you can issue orders while paused.
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

So from the above I understand theres pause feature but no reply. Are there turns when the game stops or do you have to play the whole battle in one go, like for example in the Wargame series?
Lest we forget.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: ivanov

So from the above I understand there are no pause and replay features. But are there turns when the game stops or do you have to play the whole battle in one go, like for example in the Wargame series?

There are no turns. You can make time go faster or slower and you can pause anytime. You can give orders at any time, whether paused or not.

76mm

Post by 76mm »

Could one of the beta testers (or new buyer who has already played for many hours [:D]) comment on how the lack of replay ability affects play?

While I might be able to get used to playing real time, it seems like not being able to replay would (1) make it rather difficult to keep track of what is going on with your force; and (2) keep players from catching many/most of the "that was cool" moments that can make wargames fun?

But maybe I' wrong, so I'd like to hear from some players with a lot of experience with the game...
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: Tamas

So from the above I understand there are no pause and replay features. But are there turns when the game stops or do you have to play the whole battle in one go, like for example in the Wargame series?

There are no turns. You can make time go faster or slower and you can pause anytime. You can give orders at any time, whether paused or not.

Thank you.
Lest we forget.
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Could one of the beta testers (or new buyer who has already played for many hours [:D]) comment on how the lack of replay ability affects play?

While I might be able to get used to playing real time, it seems like not being able to replay would (1) make it rather difficult to keep track of what is going on with your force; and (2) keep players from catching many/most of the "that was cool" moments that can make wargames fun?

But maybe I' wrong, so I'd like to hear from some players with a lot of experience with the game...

I think that depends on the player. Most of the real time games don't have the replay feature for some reason. Only CM and Red Storm from the notable games offer this option, which is my preference. I actually spend more time analyzing the battlefield and doing post battle damage assessment, than fighting the enemy [X(]
Lest we forget.
22sec

Post by 22sec »

There is a message log that lets you know important events that are occurring such as; a unit taking fire or when a unit is loss, when aircraft are spotted, etc.. There are a lot of cool moments in AB. Sometimes you’ll be scrolling around and you’ll see the ammunition cook off in a burning vehicle sending the turret sailing in to the air. You do have to make a choice, meaning sometimes you do miss them because you are managing a battle. It’s a difficult but worthy trade off.
Flashpoint Campaigns Contributor
https://twitter.com/22sec2
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

I think you mean 'rewind' option, right? Not a replay. There is a replay in this game, but that is offered at the end of the game (and that replay still needs some improvement IMO). But partial rewind for a moment, like combat mission or FPC-RS, in round mode or real time mode, is not possible in this game.

As a combat mission and FPC-RS player, where turn-base mode offer rewind option, I was disappointing at first, but now I think it is OK. I don't think lack of 'rewind-30seconds-before' feature would influence your play. You can still keep track of what is going on by pausing, but these days I'm trying not to abuse pause to enjoy more difficult and challenging situation.

Game offers message log to let you know what is going on. I still think that message log needs some improvement, but still it is doing its objective well - tell you what is going on during game. Use message log wisely, and you will be able to catch some important moment of the game.

TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

Is it possible to adjust gamespeed (slow, medium, fast)?
zoikkis

Post by zoikkis »

ORIGINAL: TomBombadil711

Is it possible to adjust gamespeed (slow, medium, fast)?

You can adjust between normal speed, slow speed and several levels of faster speeds
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: Tamas

do you have to play the whole battle in one go, like for example in the Wargame series?

I was all ready to jump on board and lay down my $39.99 until the above excellent question failed to get an answer.

How about it: do you have to play the whole battle or can you save it in the middle and come back to it later?
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
DanOppenheim

Post by DanOppenheim »

Yes, you can save and load the game mid-battle.
dox44

Post by dox44 »

there is a save game option. i've used in a single mission and came back to it. appeared to work. that's all i know.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Yes you can save.
delastone

Post by delastone »

Sorry to bump this but I have an option to select "Round length" by increments of 30 seconds and the description is that it works like WE-GO system.

So there is some kind of "turn base" way to issue orders between round system.

The game is not all pure RTS.

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

delastone, as I understand from the answers on the forum, the game runs in "real time" (can be slowed down or sped up), you can pause at any time to issue orders or look over the situation, and you can set an optional rounds timer that automatically pauses the game at the given turn interval (rounds timer), but it has been said you can still pause the game between the established "Rounds".

If I'm off base somewhere hopefully a Dev can jump in and correct me. [;)]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
exsonic01

Post by exsonic01 »

ORIGINAL: delastone
Sorry to bump this but I have an option to select "Round length" by increments of 30 seconds and the description is that it works like WE-GO system.

So there is some kind of "turn base" way to issue orders between round system.

The game is not all pure RTS.

This game has Round mode and Realtime Mode

Realtime mode is the same with usual RTS mode, like other RTS games. In this game's realtime mode, you can pause at any moment you want to pause. If you try not to pause, then the game will be pure RTS. These days I try not to pause to challenge myself to fight in tougher condition.

Round mode is something "similar" to WEGO turn-based, BUT it is not the same one. Rather, consider this round mode as kinda automatic pausing at each designated time. In that sense, this game's round mode has much more freedom than typical WEGO style turn system. In this game's round mode, there is no distinctive "command phase" and "play phase" like we see from FPC series or CM series. In round mode, you can still issue commands at any time you want, during round or after each round. But you cannot save the game during each round, you are allowed to save only after each round. Also, you cannot pause during round, as the each round is some sort of auto-pausing at designated time. You can still control the speed of game in round mode, though.

I think (and I wish) this round mode would be able to implemented in PBEM in the future, if devs have enough time and resource in the future. This round mode need some adjustment for PBEM, but still, I think (and I hope) it might be possible.

Return to “Armored Brigade”