State of the Game and Future Plans, as of November 2017

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Centuur

RE: State of the Game and Future Plans, as of November 2017

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer

If there is a PIN code for each player what happens when Axis declares war or Japan occupies Chinese city? Can they draw a chit to US entry pool or does US player need to do that? If US player is always needed, I don’t vote for PIN codes.

Is it possible to hide all information from US entry pools? So that without PIN code you can draw a chit to pool, but you can’t see any numbers of chits or entry levels. Axis cloud see number if chits in each pool.

In a 2 player netplay game the Axis player sees only the number of chits in the pools. The value of them is not visible (an X is shown).

Attachments
Noproblem.gif
Noproblem.gif (801.14 KiB) Viewed 605 times
Peter
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

If there is a PIN code for each player what happens when Axis declares war or Japan occupies Chinese city? Can they draw a chit to US entry pool or does US player need to do that? If US player is always needed, I don’t vote for PIN codes.

Is it possible to hide all information from US entry pools? So that without PIN code you can draw a chit to pool, but you can’t see any numbers of chits or entry levels. Axis cloud see number if chits in each pool.

In a 2 player netplay game the Axis player sees only the number of chits in the pools. The value of them is not visible (an X is shown).
That would be great in solitaire mode too if Allies had a PIN code. That way there would be no problem with this matter.
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

You forget that the program believes the GAM file is for Solitaire game. Having the first player play the US gets around the US Entry marker problem, but does nothing for the Neutrality Pacts.

It would be possible to have the 'Pin' be zero as a default. In that case the program would let all major powers see the US Entry markers. That would be the setting for normal Solitaire games.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

You forget that the program believes the GAM file is for Solitaire game. Having the first player play the US gets around the US Entry marker problem, but does nothing for the Neutrality Pacts.

It would be possible to have the 'Pin' be zero as a default. In that case the program would let all major powers see the US Entry markers. That would be the setting for normal Solitaire games.
One PIN would be enough for me. That way nobody can see accidentally anything they are not allowed.
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

I remember Avalon Hill Third Reich on its PC version allowed to switch on/off the AI at any time for each player. This allowed us to play PBEM.

On the Allied turn, the AI for the Axis was set ON so that the Allied player could do all the movements and attacks and AI will play for the non-phasing player (basically, the interceptions).

Something very basic like this for non-phasing player for:
- selection of combat table to be used
- air interception
- naval interception (more complex I guess)
- selecting naval and land loses

would make much easier playing by PBEM (which is my main interest).

Does it makes sense for anybody else?

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
wodin

Post by wodin »

AI core ruleset sounds excellent.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
NetPlay, Our Next Priority
Future Plans

1. Additional Bug Fixes

2. Low Risk Optional Rules

3. Additional Scenarios

Once we reach this point, we would consider the original MWIF feature and content complete...

With the latest update that "Netplay Complete" should be released in August 2018, just curious what the latest estimate might be to complete the seven low-risk optional rules and the two half-map scenarios? It would be nice to start playing the Fascist Tide ETO scenario later this year, if possible. Patiently waiting...
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
NetPlay, Our Next Priority
Future Plans

1. Additional Bug Fixes

2. Low Risk Optional Rules

3. Additional Scenarios

Once we reach this point, we would consider the original MWIF feature and content complete...

With the latest update that "Netplay Complete" should be released in August 2018, just curious what the latest estimate might be to complete the seven low-risk optional rules and the two half-map scenarios? It would be nice to start playing the Fascist Tide ETO scenario later this year, if possible. Patiently waiting...

We've still a couple of bugs which need fixing. Especially in production planning and during the peace phase, there are some pretty important bugs remaining. Personally, I believe that one should not have ones hopes too high, I'm afraid where this game is concerned.
But I agree that these additional scenarios would be very nice to have...
Peter
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

We've still a couple of bugs which need fixing. Especially in production planning and during the peace phase, there are some pretty important bugs remaining. Personally, I believe that one should not have ones hopes too high, I'm afraid where this game is concerned.
But I agree that these additional scenarios would be very nice to have...

We are all well aware of the delays and potential for more delays. "Netplay Complete" was targeted for April and now it's August, so it is what it is. But this is a good milestone, so perchance to dream about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Certainly there are bugs to fix over the next month or so to wrap up the Netplay release. The low-risk optional rules and half-map scenarios may be fairly easy to implement, or maybe not. So just curious what Steve's prediction may be at this point, soon or not-so-soon? It would be great to reach that point where the original MWiF features and content are considered complete, and then be able to look forward to the rest (AI Expansion and additional optional rules)...
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

How is the situation regarding solitary game?

I remember there were some issues with production and with air combat not being able to finish (sometimes the button to close the A2A form was missing). Is this fixed?

Cheers!
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

I remember there were some issues with production and with air combat not being able to finish (sometimes the button to close the A2A form was missing). Is this fixed?

Cheers!

Air to air combat should be running smoothly, I believe. If there are still any problems there, I've not seen them.
Production planning still does have some issues which mainly have to do with selecting which factory is producing the build points which are traded overseas.
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

AFAIK solitaire has very few bugs and the A2A issues have been fixed.
Paul
vonpaul

Post by vonpaul »

another year almost done without any work on the missing scenarios :(
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: vonpaul

That won't happen until AFTER they get the relatively bug free version 3.0 out. That could be next month assuming everything goes well.

After that, the scenarios and optional rules are prioritized.

I understand that there was previous work for the scenarios that was already done, so that may not take very long to do once things are stable.

Dave
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

As far as I remember the half map scenarios are "half baked", so they won't need to be developed from scratch.

But I'm kind of concerned of the amount of bugs and time to fix them. It is not unreasonable to think that optional rules and scenarios could increase the number of bugs greatly.
GrizzlyKt

Post by GrizzlyKt »

solitaire please please sir
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

I would not expect a lot of rework to be created with the scenarios, but obviously some mistakes may make the force pools or locations for placing units incorrect.

The optional rules will have a bigger impact.

I expect that the impacts will affect both Solitaire and Netplay.

Dave
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain
ORIGINAL: vonpaul

That won't happen until AFTER they get the relatively bug free version 3.0 out. That could be next month assuming everything goes well.

After that, the scenarios and optional rules are prioritized.

I understand that there was previous work for the scenarios that was already done, so that may not take very long to do once things are stable.

Dave

Far too positive, I believe... If I look at the problems with Vichy collapse without Free France existing which have popped up and the problems with AA fire in Netplay, I don't think it will be a month. It will take longer...
Peter
Gar-Dog

Post by Gar-Dog »

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

Cheers!

Air to air combat should be running smoothly, I believe. If there are still any problems there, I've not seen them.
Production planning still does have some issues which mainly have to do with selecting which factory is producing the build points which are traded overseas.

The Air-to-Air has some bugs with CVs when not using Planes in Flames... Every now and again it'll pretend my CVs aren't present... But overall, yes, the solitaire is quite playable!
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

the only thing I know, is that things take 10 times longer then they predict

I dont expect a finished netplay this year. but, there are only 50 days left of the year.
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

Return to “World in Flames”