Sound assignment question

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Monkie

Sound assignment question

Post by Monkie »

I noticed there are 2 helicopter sounds available but it seems that for NATO at least only one sound is played. Is there a way to assign one of the 2 sounds to a specific unit?

Also in the USMC mod, infantry foot sounds are played even when the unit is traveling via APC. Is there a way to change this via the data file?

Thanks for any help
CapnDarwin

RE: Sound assignment question

Post by CapnDarwin »

Movement sounds are tied to the fixed movement type data and not platform specific. Same with weapons. There are only set types. If there is more than on sound, like blast1, blast2, etc., the game will choose from the group at random.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

Will this be the same in SS or might there be a chance of custom sounds for each platform? So for example the ability to have different rotor sounds for the Cobra and the Apache etc etc?

I'd love to have the A-10 sound different than say the F-16 when making attacks.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Southern is using the same sound design. We might be able to expand post release, but we need to evaluate the additional load on the game engine.

mirrorshades

Post by mirrorshades »

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin

Movement sounds are tied to the fixed movement type data and not platform specific. Same with weapons. There are only set types. If there is more than on sound, like blast1, blast2, etc., the game will choose from the group at random.

Quick question on the above -- for the original sounds that have numbers (blast1, blast2, blast3). Can I add more sounds by simply incrementing the number on the end (blast4, blast5... blast23, blast24, etc...) or am I limited to the same quantity as the originals as well?

Likewise, if there is a sound that doesn't have a number (slingshot.wav), if I want to add more, can I simply start appending numbers (slingshot1.wav, slingshot2.wav, etc...) and have it switch to randomly selecting one?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'm pretty sure all you can do in Red Storm is directly replace the sounds that exist. You can check out the couple sound mods in this sub forum to review what they did. Make sure to backup any files you want to replace. If you haven't done so, read Mod Guide 3 on modding art and sounds to get the correct file formats for the files.

mirrorshades

Post by mirrorshades »

Thanks! I've read through the forum and the mod guides, but I didn't see that question answered specifically. I tried myself, by adding additional sounds with higher numbers (I combined all the sound mods into one gigantic collection, and just kept adding higher numbers for the ones with multiple files), but it didn't seem to work. I guess that jives with what you've said. :)

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”