Things that irk me

Please post your wish lists for future updates and releases here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

benniotto

Things that irk me

Post by benniotto »

Before I begin I'd like to state that I really love the game. I think that NATO doctrine is really well represented. However the Soviet side of the equation is not very reflective of actual Soviet doctrine. To begin with the hasty, deliberate, assault could be reflective of Soviet march, pre-battle and battle formations however if this is the case they are way to slow given that a motor rifle company could theoretically deploy from march to battle formation in around 5 minutes. Soviet doctrine emphasized rapid deployment between these states in order to keep momentum. This may sound small but it really isn't, Soviet units are far more cumbersome than they're real life counterparts because of this. Another thing that grinds my gears is how inflexible Soviet troop composition is. It's impossible to set up a proper Forward Security Element for a Motor Rifle Battalion since I can't attach a tank platoon to the leading Motor Rifle Company. And lord knows I cant actually conduct a proper Route reconnaissance with a Motor Rifle Platoon which was standard procedure!
CapnDarwin

RE: Things that irk me

Post by CapnDarwin »

Both items are being better addressed in the Southern Storm game engine that we are hip deep in. While the game has a lot of modding and you can do a lot of cross attachment, the one thing you can't do is change/split off a unit into smaller parts. To do something like that you would need to make some revised formations in the data file and then replace forces in a scenario and make a "new" scenario with the modified formations.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
benniotto

Post by benniotto »

Thanks for the reply! Great to see the devs being active on the forums. It's wonderful to hear that you guys are addressing both of my criticisms. To be honest it's primarily my first point that bothers me, since as you mentioned you can mod in Platoon sized attachments (which is what I've been doing). If your allowed to say, how exactly are you guys planning to address the lethargy of Soviet units?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I think the changes to the command range and reaction times will help ease the long pauses you can get into now when the command cycles start to stretch. There are some other mechanics I can't get into right now that will also help with the overall mechanics of defending and attacking which will help the AI better deal with mission objectives and timing.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Requested Features and Ideas”