Upgrade Path

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

King_Solomon

Upgrade Path

Post by King_Solomon »

After years of kicking the tires, I have finally decided to purchase WitW. I have said my goodbyes to my family with expectations of leaving my desk only to go to work and occasionally shower.

It's not my fault, instead I find myself a victim of all the wonderful AAR's written over the years. Now I am the overwhelmed Newb we've all seen stumbling along, lost, unshaven and needing a hot bowl of soup.

The AAR's, forum and Living Manual have been a tremendous help especially given the amount of information in this game. I have persevered through a few of the smaller scenarios and am foolishly believing I am ready to tackle a campaign. With introductions out of the way, I will begin what will probably be the typical onslaught of beginner questions.

I find myself overwhelmed with the equipment upgrades aspect. Is there a list somewhere showing the upgrade path for equipment? Even if it was just planes it would be a tremendous help. I'm just unsure of the upgrade order, then add the production potential and maintaining a proper pool amount and I'm lost.

I know you can see some of the order by clicking on each piece plane, tank, etc. but I was hoping for something more substantial.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
zakblood

RE: Upgrade Path

Post by zakblood »

welcome to the forums and a epic game,

for me, none of the above is needed if you have just started imo

learn as you play, start off on the smaller battles and don't go onto a full blown campaign until you have won and done so on a few levels of difficulty

like everything when you start, let the AI do anything it can do, so air for one and do the rest your self, so in all facts its a counter moving game like any other, then and only then progress to the manual and the deeper stuff, so for me you pick the lowest level of difficulty and turn on all the AI support and turn FOW off and the quickest smallest battle and play and enjoy the game while you learn it.

play over and over again and each new game turn the difficulty up until you loose a given battle, still not going onto the full campaigns etc mind you, just all the smaller ones for now, and once beaten, read until you can win on the one you lost on, this way you learn and have fun and carry on playing while you learn, as some can be put off if they loose to often and go to deep too quickly,

once you have the weeks and month in, you will finally get to a level where you're then happy with, try a campaign or 2 and see how it goes, once you have done them all and are still enjoying it and winning, play online, as by now a year or so will have gone by and you will know more, or unless like me, stays at a given point and doesn't wish to know how many tins and cans are needed to invade a given point so stays at a given level as still loves and plays it most weeks quite happily and still doesn't know nato signs :)
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
King_Solomon

Post by King_Solomon »

That is really sound advice, thank you Zakblood! The AI support will be my new bestie. :) I never thought of replaying scenarios with higher difficulty and learning from my losses. I have found this game will teach you patience, whether you want to learn it or not. But it's been fun so far, I can get lost in this game for hours. Looks like I'm off to earn my stripes...

Appreciate the response!
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

King,

You can't do anything on the ground equipment upgrade path, so I would ignore it, though it's frustrating to see how long the Allies held on Sherman tanks.

On aircraft I prefer to set Upgrade to Manual and do my own upgrades. There are not that many new aircraft models at the beginning of each month so you can keep track of them, and also I like to do upgrades during Rain or Heavy Rain/Show turns when I'm grounding my air groups anyway. I hate having my best air groups unavailable in a Clear weather turn because of an arbitrary equipment upgrade.

Cary
King_Solomon

Post by King_Solomon »

Cary,

Yeah, you're right about the Sherman. But it's hard to put myself in the mindset of 194? even with all the quality v. quantity analysis done after all these years. I still don't have a position!

Good points to remember. I too like having control over such things. And think about timing when upgrading aircraft. I see myself creating a checklist for each turn as I grow as a player. I'm sure they'll be a spreadsheet listing aircraft types someday too. I have the worst memory!

Thanks,
KS

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”