Mapping the dead

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

loki100

Mapping the dead

Post by loki100 »

The map below was made in 1919 by the teams who were starting to recover all the abandoned dead along the trench lines on the Western Front.

Each small grid is 250m by 250m and the number is the bodies that were recovered at that stage. So it ignores those that had been removed earlier and those that couldn't be found or recovered:

edit: should have said, its a portion of the area dominated by the 1916 Battle of the Somme
Attachments
20181105_084432.jpg
20181105_084432.jpg (326.41 KiB) Viewed 38 times
zakblood

RE: Mapping the dead

Post by zakblood »

i watch the battle of the mines last night, the war underground fought by both side on BBCi player, was very interesting and scary tbh, and no way would you have got me down there
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
ekcut

Post by ekcut »

My oldest son is 17, almost 18.

I can't beleive that 100yrs ago he may have been one of the numbers on the map.

AMAZING, what we owe those brave kids!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

We lost 50,000 dead American boys from the Vietnamese conflict. That was 45 years ago. And many who made it home were treated disgracefully by a generation I am ashamed to be a part of. The VA "hospitals" would have turned your stomach. And some still do.

If it is truly AMAZED, by what we owe those brave kids, we can start by supporting the Paralyzed Veterans, and similar organizations.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

ORIGINAL: loki100

The map below was made in 1919 by the teams who were starting to recover all the abandoned dead along the trench lines on the Western Front.

Each small grid is 250m by 250m and the number is the bodies that were recovered at that stage. So it ignores those that had been removed earlier and those that couldn't be found or recovered:

edit: should have said, its a portion of the area dominated by the 1916 Battle of the Somme

The bodies of the fallen from the Great War are still being found. Three unknown soldiers – one from the Lancashire Fusiliers and two Australian -were laid to rest at Tyne Cot Cemetery, near Ypres, Belgium, with full military honours yesterday. To the sound of bagpipes playing Going Home, a lament for fallen soldiers, the three coffins draped in national flags were carried by soldiers from First Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, and members of the combined Australian armed forces.

Tyne Cot Cemetery on the Commonweath War Graves Commission website:

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-cemeteries-and-memorials/53300/tyne-cot-cemetery
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

One of these days humanity will complete the job and no one will be left to count the dead. [:(]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you for sharing.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Discussion”