PBEM Server Communication Error

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.
PvtBenjamin

RE: PBEM Server Communication Error

Post by PvtBenjamin »

I am 0-5 AFTER game error then game not saved.

Please just shut down PBEM until issue resolved, then tell us its resolved

Currently I can log in and don't know there is a problem until after my turn.

Bolko

Post by Bolko »

This has been working for me:

Always save the game first before ending the turn. This may take a few attempts. Its a drag because you can't go on to your next game until you manage to save.

Once saved, even if ending the turn fails, you can go back and open the saved file and attempt to end the turn again. This too may take a few attempts and is time consuming.

Just logging in can take time, but I find that if I spam attempts to log in I get in within a 2 or 3 minutes.

This all adds several minutes to play, but if you follow the procedure above, play does not have to stop.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

This is super frustrating.

Even with saving your turn just before submitting End of Turn (as Bolko suggests above), you can get different Weather, Diplomacy and Research results with each attempt at End Turn.
It's unbiased as there is no control over such random events (including if the End of Turn submission works); but it is the cherry of irritation on top of the annoyance banana split that is having to reload the pbem lobby and then down load the turn and resubmit the End of Turn, all of such actions are taking longer than normal.

On the plus side getting into the lobby and downloading the turns, while real slow, is having better consistency (for me on the US East Coast) at least. Saving a turn seems to be 50/50 proposition and End of Turn is perhaps 1 in 3.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
nnason

Post by nnason »

It is unusual for an intermittent outage to last this long but as a very senior IT person I can attest it does happen. Hopefully the application and/or the backend IT people will figure it out.

I too have had issues. I had a case where I played most of my turn and couldn't save thus giving me a do-over and lots of good intel. I offered to restart since this gave me an advantage.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
nnason

Post by nnason »

Bill,
"GamerJack's" post above should be deleted and he should be warned.
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Hartmann301

Post by Hartmann301 »

ORIGINAL: nnason

It is unusual for an intermittent outage to last this long but as a very senior IT person I can attest it does happen. Hopefully the application and/or the backend IT people will figure it out.

I too have had issues. I had a case where I played most of my turn and couldn't save thus giving me a do-over and lots of good intel. I offered to restart since this gave me an advantage.

Yes, the error notice is now coming with trying to save your turn. Frustrating as hell!
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

I try to be patient with these system problems but its been several days now. Initially the game crashed at the end ( 5 times for me on the 1st turn of a game, mysteriously took one turn later), then it crashed a few turns mid turn, now (preferable) it just doesn't let me in.

Some more information flow would be helpful, its very annoying to wait 3 minutes to get PBEM error. Super annoying to crash at end of turn.

Also, The forum should give the ability to report posts.
GrayNemesis

Post by GrayNemesis »

who let the troll in?
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Maybe devs are in vacation? Worst case scenario is that all resources are redirected for the new SC4.
Haven't seen a response to the issue yet and they usually are very diligent. Some reassurance that the game isn't abandoned would be nice though.
Hartmann301

Post by Hartmann301 »

I've never known of a Halloween hangover to last this long
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

latest information is here in the link

tm.asp?m=4549444
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Bolko

Post by Bolko »

Is it possible to play this game via true pbem. I suppose that hotseat works for that. Correct? As I recall hotseat supports passwords. Then its just a matter of knowing the directory to find the file in etc.

So in Documents ... Multiplayer/Hotseat two files are saved. A *.dat file and and a *.sav file, both with the same name. Is it necessary to e-mail both these files each time? Or, does the creator of the game e-mail both files the first time only, and then the *.sav file is passed back and forth?
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

In this case you would just need to keep sending the .sav file back and forth.
Bolko

Post by Bolko »

Thanks much Hubert!

So no more complaining about pbem. This well designed game allows you to do this too!

Return to “Tech Support”