Important or what?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Chris21wen

Important or what?

Post by Chris21wen »

I've only just read this paragraph and actually taken it in. To me, it is one of the most important paragraphs in the manual, although perhaps a little out of date, but why such an explanation on the games working is where it is in the manual is baffling. I urge everybody to read it.

18.2. Replacements
Much of the logistics phase, particularly the replacement segment, simulates the constant flow of men and equipment back and forth from the "home front" and the various production factories, through intermediate locations such as repair depots and hospitals, to the combat zone and the front lines. Ground unit losses, whether combat or non-combat related, while expressed in terms of men, guns and AFV's, are based on destroyed and damaged ground elements. Ground elements consist of manpower combined with AFVs, combat vehicles or Armament points, which represent all other weapons. The production system builds the individual AFV, combat vehicle or devices from armament point production and places them in the pools, which is what is reflected on the production screen. During the replacement segment, available manpower is matched with the equipment in the pools to form complete ground elements. Men and equipment from damaged ground elements are included in this process, but are treated somewhat differently. Approximately (Exception: AFV ground elements - see 18.2.3.1) half of the manpower and equipment from damaged ground elements become available as replacements in the next logistics phase, representing wounded troops that are lost for short periods of time before being sent back to units, equipment that has to be repaired at non-divisional repair facilities that are then sent back to different units, and men transferred from one unit to another.

Telemecus

RE: Important or what?

Post by Telemecus »

+1 and yes there are a few updates. But being in effect the core part of how all the armies are built and replenished, it is very brief and tucked away in a not very prominent position in the manual.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

+1 and yes there are a few updates. But being in effect the core part of how all the armies are built and replenished, it is very brief and tucked away in a not very prominent position in the manual.

It will be.
MarauderPL

Post by MarauderPL »

And that explains why encircled manpower centers cant produce actual combat elements - only worthless (in encirclement) manpower.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Important? How does the above help me hold Leningrad or Moscow? [:)] Interesting perhaps...unless of course thats all there is on replacements and pools. Then there is lots missing.

To be honest I think your question on Minimum Experience in another thread is more important.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

Important? How does the above help me hold Leningrad or Moscow? [:)] Interesting perhaps...unless of course thats all there is on replacements and pools. Then there is lots missing.

To be honest I think your question on Minimum Experience in another thread is more important.

It's a simple over view that explain how it all works.
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

Russian supply system ?? Here... this will help explain how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjYNKED0U0
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”