The Bloody First to Arrive in 2018

3D version of Close Combat
Neogodhobo

RE: The Bloody First to Arrive in 2014

Post by Neogodhobo »

I usually always activate the AI cheats, but even this is not enough. I think its clear to everyone that Close Combat AI is mediocre at best.

And this is why we need a BETTER Multiplayer aspect of the game. This is where the magic happens.
gravyface_

Post by gravyface_ »

ORIGINAL: Nomada_Firefox
There's some good AI out there though, for turn-based games particularly, but there's time to run an algorithm based on events _not_ happening in real-time, so it's less daunting of a task vs. a real-time game.
If you compare the AI from the published CC games with the last ten years published RTS games, with a few exceptions, you will see a lot better AI.

Anyway, comparation here is a bad idea because the published CC games used a game engine from more of 22 years ago where deep changes in the AI were not possible and players usually think as if they were new games where they were not.

For me, I would be happy if the AI attacks me and it uses some type of tactics. I do not wait miracles, only some from the year 2018, not from 1996.

I always wondered why developers didn't just apply textbook tactical doctrines as responses to situations. Add some variables (morale, insubordination, FoW, communications breakdown, timing, etc.) and that would be a quality AI.

For example, taking out a fixed position: suppressing fire, flanking, smoke, speed, these are all things that shouldn't be that difficult to quantify.

We're not asking for Napoleon in our AI, reshaping the very concept of operational warfare, just textbook tactics implemented on a script when certain conditions are met.
gravyface_

Post by gravyface_ »

ORIGINAL: Neogodhobo

I usually always activate the AI cheats, but even this is not enough. I think its clear to everyone that Close Combat AI is mediocre at best.

And this is why we need a BETTER Multiplayer aspect of the game. This is where the magic happens.

Setting up a MP game seems like a PITA to coordinate; I don't have much time to game, so when I have a free moment, I don't expect someone to be ready and waiting to play a game.
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

I always wondered why developers didn't just apply textbook tactical doctrines as responses to situations. Add some variables (morale, insubordination, FoW, communications breakdown, timing, etc.) and that would be a quality AI.

For example, taking out a fixed position: suppressing fire, flanking, smoke, speed, these are all things that shouldn't be that difficult to quantify.

We're not asking for Napoleon in our AI, reshaping the very concept of operational warfare, just textbook tactics implemented on a script when certain conditions are met.
With the old CC engine because it had 22 years..........with new games, there are games with good IA, most of the modern RTS games gave a good fight. It is my unique request, a good fight, tactics or not, just I want a AI attacking me, defending, these things, a real challenge.
Benedict151

Post by Benedict151 »

We will be looking to make multiplayer more user friendly

Benedict151

Post by Benedict151 »

With regard to the AI we are giving it an overhaul and one aspect we are looking at (now in fact) is its aggressiveness
We too want it to give you (and us) a good fight - and from there we will look to enhance its 'tactical know-how'

regards
Ben Wilkins
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

sounds go to me, when can we sign up for beta then?, is the next question [:D]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
gravyface_

Post by gravyface_ »

ORIGINAL: Benedict151

With regard to the AI we are giving it an overhaul and one aspect we are looking at (now in fact) is its aggressiveness
We too want it to give you (and us) a good fight - and from there we will look to enhance its 'tactical know-how'

regards
Ben Wilkins

Sounds exciting.

I remember the old Vet Mod for CC4 (or 5?): I remember the first map, in awe, as literally every SS unit on the map got up, and just converged at a gallop on the town I was holding... ended up wiping out a quarter of them with some well-placed mortar fire in the town center, but man, it was intense hand-to-hand after that, room-by-room.
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

ORIGINAL: Benedict151

We will be looking to make multiplayer more user friendly

regards
Ben Wilkins

Sweet, awesome news ! Thanks for shedding some light on that !
Benedict151

Post by Benedict151 »

Hello Zakblood
ORIGINAL: zakblood

sounds go to me, when can we sign up for beta then?, is the next question [:D]
sounds go to me, when can we sign up for beta then?, is the next question

Funny you should ask - beta is a little way off (cue sighs and groans), but alpha is approaching increasingly quickly and we will want a small outside test group for that
More news soon!

regards
Ben Wilkins
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

My birthday is coming up soon and my wife is asking what I want for my birthday. As in previous years, I said I only wanted of The Bloody First; the new highly anticipated installment of the Close Combat series. But as in previous years the game wasn’t released, so from my wife, I received nothing for my birthday. Now I’m not complaining about the time it’s taking to develop the game, but I am concerned my wife is getting tired of me asking for the same gift time and time again. I guess I could switch it up and ask for another game, but then that would kill the anticipation I have for The Bloody First.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

ORIGINAL: CGGrognard

My birthday is coming up soon and my wife is asking what I want for my birthday. As in previous years, I said I only wanted of The Bloody First; the new highly anticipated installment of the Close Combat series. But as in previous years the game wasn’t released, so from my wife, I received nothing for my birthday. Now I’m not complaining about the time it’s taking to develop the game, but I am concerned my wife is getting tired of me asking for the same gift time and time again. I guess I could switch it up and ask for another game, but then that would kill the anticipation I have for The Bloody First.
I recomend you ask a mixer to your wife.[:D]

But if you have asked the CCBF as the same gift all these years, your wife will be very happy because she has not bought it yet. Very cheap.[:D]
wodin

Post by wodin »

Please just make Inf like they where in CC2. Inf with staying power!!
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

And hopefully the pathing for vehicles will be better as well.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

I hope they finally introduce medics and attack dogs!
thekromewolf

Post by thekromewolf »

MONTHS later, no signs of progress, no update, no news feed, pre much conisidered dead, devs must work on it in their free time and work normal 9-5 jobs.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

progress is coming along nicely thanks, alpha testing is done, pre beta testing is next, then open sign up for main beta to follow, not sure why you think it's dead tbh,

but as always, most of the work is ongoing out of public view, updates and posts will be made, when it's ready.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

Good news, thanks
GrdAdmiral

Post by GrdAdmiral »

That’s great news!! I admit, I started to get worried with months of no news. So I can understand why people started to think it might be dead. I’m glad they are wrong.
Destraex

Post by Destraex »

Good to hear. Expectations are high for me. I want to feel the amazement I felt playing the close combat 1 demo as a kid in the 1990s. Back then their was simply no other game that came close. I expect with all the competition for the wargaming space today that we will see this game make the next evolutionary leap. To set the bar high again. To stop the re-hash of old code and rest off old laurels.

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”