How good are AP's ?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ETF

How good are AP's ?

Post by ETF »

Ok with AP's and amphibious landings.....what do I lose when landing on a 0 island? Can the AP (not xAP) unload everything with time?
Sorry, don't have the manual with me at the time. Having a discussion with my opponent online lol
Both at work shhhhh :)
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
GetAssista

RE: How good are AP's ?

Post by GetAssista »

So many additional parameters: how much stuff on a particular ship, how much naval support on site, is there Amphib HQ active (Allies), is bonus period active (Japan, though I don't remember if Japan has any APs in the first place)

They are better than xAPs but worse than APAs. No extraordinary probs with amphibious unloading into the enemy base in my book. Just do not overload them. Do some calculations, add some ships to the TF and try to unload your troops in one day
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: ETF

Ok with AP's and amphibious landings.....what do I lose when landing on a 0 island? Can the AP (not xAP) unload everything with time?
Sorry, don't have the manual with me at the time. Having a discussion with my opponent online lol
Both at work shhhhh :)

Save the early war APs that can convert into APAs for later war landings. Try and keep them out of harms way as much as possible.

You can simply go through the game and look at which ones do, but someone made a post you can search for that lists which ships/classes can convert.

I am strictly talking about the Allied side..
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

The only difference is that you can not dock (but if Base is in enemy hands there is no difference). Large Devices may need larger ports to unload, or they will land like one Device per day. And Combat Load unloads Combat Devices first, so even if something will stay on ships it will be Support.
Anyway, if you have enough supply in TF, just Create Barges before landing, they will help with unload.
ETF

Post by ETF »

Yes, sorry this is an (Allied) AP unloading a regiment of Infantry on an empty 0 beach. Just wondered if the heavy weapons would get unloaded with an AP over time. Seems like they will except support and heavy artillery.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Yes, sorry this is an (Allied) AP unloading a regiment of Infantry on an empty 0 beach. Just wondered if the heavy weapons would get unloaded with an AP over time. Seems like they will except support and heavy artillery.
So this is your island or will become yours quickly. Then you might have a problem with heavier stuff unloading. This game has a quirk of more restrictions on amphibious unloading into home base w/o port compared to enemy base w/o port. Bring in some naval support to help.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Really heavy stuff like 155mm guns and radars will not unload at a base with no port no matter how many barges you put there. You need to be able to dock the ship. Large ships require a larger port to dock, so often you have to start building your size 1 port and meanwhile take the unloadable items to a larger port, unload them, and when the new port is almost ready, load the heavy items in an xAKL or small xAK (less than 6001 ton capacity). The ship can then dock at the new pier and unload. Be warned that something like a radar can still take 3 days to unload at a size 1 port.

EDIT: I have also had things drop in the water while loading or unloading at a port that is too small. I tried to move the 6" coastal guns from the island between Diego Garcia and Colombo and all of them fell in the water during loading.

Max dockable ship sizes at small ports: Size 1 - 6000 tons capacity. Size 2 - 9000. Size 3- 12,000. The max total shipping docked is larger than these figures after level 1.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I don't have exact details since I'm at work, but I think 10 naval support is enough to unload radars and other heavy devices. Naval support will also unload those APs faster.

Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Keep in mind that in the latest beta when speaking of unloading at a 0 SPS port NS will not add any assistance, even once the port is expanded. Its a bug that crept in there somehow, and MichaelM was taken away from us at about the same time.

I still advocate using the patch as this affects both sides, and the patch did correct a rather important Allied flaw. AE's wouldn't properly reload large caliber weapons at sea. This means Allied naval TF's would not be able to remain on station to provide bombardment support. I would think that's rather important to Allied ops in the later stages of the struggle.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “The War Room”