courier redudancy

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

JamesHunt

courier redudancy

Post by JamesHunt »

I love to play with the brigade/division courier setting, really awesome idea that lets consider you your orders without doing the usual clickfest.

But what breaks the immersion for me is that no matter if I use the vanilla or one of the modded toolbars, there are always uneccesary two messengers sent to deliver an order.

One is always uneccessary dispatched as soon as I place a move marker somewhere and the other is dispatched when I specify formation or moving speed and press "dispatch order". Why can´t the complete order be "transmitted" by one courier when I press "dispatch order", why is there this uneccesary first messenger at all?

Is there a setting or button press I am overlooking to prevent this from happening?
1annoyedgamer

RE: Immersion breaking courier redudancy

Post by 1annoyedgamer »

ORIGINAL: JamesHunt

I love to play with the brigade/division courier setting, really awesome idea that lets consider you your orders without doing the usual clickfest.

But what breaks the immersion for me is that no matter if I use the vanilla or one of the modded toolbars, there are always uneccesary two messengers sent to deliver an order.

One is always uneccessary dispatched as soon as I place a move marker somewhere and the other is dispatched when I specify formation or moving speed and press "dispatch order". Why can´t the complete order be "transmitted" by one courier when I press "dispatch order", why is there this uneccesary first messenger at all?

Is there a setting or button press I am overlooking to prevent this from happening?

This has to be one of the strangest things Ive ever heard of as far as being something that would break immersion, but hey, to each his own. You can cue orders up using the stock toolbar so long as you have the popup context menu enabled. When using the context menu, right click on each order within the menu you want to send, in the order you want them in.(The order is still important even though you are sending all orders with one courier) Once you have all the orders cued up, then left click the execute button(the little envelope icon on the popup menu)This will send all the orders, but only one courier. The important thing is to right click on each command, if you left click the order will be executed immediately and a courier dispatched.
JamesHunt

Post by JamesHunt »

ORIGINAL: 1annoyedgamer
This has to be one of the strangest things Ive ever heard of as far as being something that would break immersion, but hey, to each his own.
One would think that instead of worrying about how "strange" it is that somebody perceives a game different you should better invest that time into proper reading but hey, to each his own right?[;)]

In this case you would probably notice that I already explained that, and that no matter if you´re using the toolbar one courier is dispatched as soon as you press right click.
1annoyedgamer

Post by 1annoyedgamer »

That's because when clicking on the field itself you aren't using the context menu and so can't cue orders. The only way to really do what you want is to use the prewritten orders so you can specify the movement destination for the officers initial movement without actually having to click on the field itself. This way you can include all the subsequent formation and officer stance orders in one order.
However the pre written orders are extremely ponderous and clumsy to use, and the order in which you place each order within the message must be extremely accurate, which is why no one really uses the pre written orders, as clicking on the field or command map and just choosing a formation and stance is alot easier and quicker from the toolbar. However, if one courier and one courier only is really that much of an issue for you, then using the prewritten orders is the way to do it.
JamesHunt

Post by JamesHunt »

Yes the folks from the KS forum already explained me that due to changes to SoW Waterloo there is no way around. Well then I will get used to it.
1annoyedgamer

Post by 1annoyedgamer »

ORIGINAL: JamesHunt
Well then I will get used to it.
You'll be much happier this way in the long run. Using the pre written orders to accomplish what you're trying to do isn't really a good option. It will solve your courier issue, but bring up a whole host of other problems that will make you pull your hair out.
The important thing about the couriers is that they simulate the real time delay between sending/receiving of orders.
As for how many of them there are, maybe try thinking of it as an abstraction instead of how many couriers are represented on the screen. Kind of the same way battalions moving in or out of a farmhouse or church is just a representation and the units aren't actually walking directly through walls.
1annoyedgamer

Post by 1annoyedgamer »

Double post
JamesHunt

Post by JamesHunt »

Considering that I play with brigade settings spawns a ton of couriers anyways when issuing orders on corps level I am fine with it and even enjoy watching this unique system, more games need this runner/courier command chain system.

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”