[WAD] JASSM cannot plot course

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Rangoon

[WAD] JASSM cannot plot course

Post by Rangoon »

In the Strike Tutorial, Strike #6, an F-16 assigns two JASSMs (one each) to two targets via Shift-F1. A message instructs to plot a course for each missile, however each time I try to plot a waypoint, I get an error message that the course will exceed the weapon's range.

How do I plot a course then? I can see the weapon range ring, and of course once the target intersects this ring, the F-16 fires. Trying to plot a course at any point outside the weapon's range results in an error about exceeding range (even if I try to plot directly along the target line with no offset at all, or even plot on the target itself). Plotting once inside the range ring is moot since the weapon launches immediately at that range.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, so I'm either misunderstanding the tutorial, the symbology, the concept of plotting a course, something. What should I do differently?

EDIT: I'm still not having any luck. I tried clicking to plot a waypoint all the way up until the weapon was in range and the weapon released. I could change the F-16 to weapons hold, but that seems to miss the point, so I assume that's not it. I checked the weaponrelease.com beginner's wiki, where it covers the Strike Tutorial, and all it says there is to get closer if you get that message. At no point prior to launch can I plot a course, regardless how close I get.
Gunner98

RE: JASSM cannot plot course

Post by Gunner98 »

You need to get closer to the target - the range ring indicates the range as a straight shot, to add waypoints you need to get closer to allow the weapon range to be used to follow a different course.

Think of it this way: The range is one capability, the ability to plot a course is another - they have to be balanced. Plotting a course reduces the overall range.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Rangoon

Post by Rangoon »

Thanks, Gunner98, and I do understand the range ring the way you describe it. I understand that a plotted course cannot total a distance greater than the radius of the range ring (possibly minus some for maneuvering).

I was editing my first post while you were typing your reply, so I think I covered it there. You would want to plot the course before the weapon launches, but that doesn't seem possible. Again, no matter how close I get it won't allow me to plot the course. Once the ring intersects the target, it launches. I would think you could plot the course and it would launch once it's within range for that course. I understand what you mean about balance between course range and max direct range, but how do you actually employ it? Neither the tutorial nor the wiki mention altering unit doctrine to hold fire or anything along those lines, which seems like a pretty important part to leave out. But is that literally the part they're both leaving out?

EDIT: another thing I noticed is that, although I have a course plotted, and doctrine is set to not ignore the plotted course, the F-16 fires before reaching the course waypoint anyway. I thought maybe having a course plotted would mean the aircraft would fly there first (which would now be within range of a plotted course, but have not fired yet), then launch. No luck. The tutorial does advise sending the aircraft out past "Target 2", which is what I had done.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

If you have the AC on a mission they will engage immediately when the range ring intersects the target. You can control it with doctrine, or if you're manually flying and engaging the target.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Rangoon

Post by Rangoon »

Okay, if that's what it is, then I do understand that. Thanks!

It seems strange the tutorial and wiki would both leave that out. If you follow the instructions, you have already assigned one missile per target (a mission) and are now pressing the plot course button from that mission dialog. No alterations made to unit doctrine so it was rather confusing. Got it now.
Rangoon

Post by Rangoon »

Hm...I changed unit doctrine to manual fire only (both in WRA and RoE). It's still firing immediately at the range ring. I haven't played CMANO in a couple years, so I thought I was starting with the basics here (tutorial). I'm sure things have changed in the past couple years, and I remember a fair bit but not everything, so wanted to give it a fresh look. I'm stumped on these mechanics.

EDIT: The way I got this to work was to de-allocate the weapons, fly out past Target 2 (within the range ring), then hit Shift-F1 and plot courses. The weapons fired and followed their respective courses. Does this mean there is no way to plan an attack out like this prior to being at weapon max range? That doesn't seem to jive with much of CMANO's mission planning philosophy, but is that how it is for cruise missiles? Or am I still just missing something here?

Also, I don't think I would have had any issues except the message to assign the strike mission popped up well before I had flown out past Target 2 for whatever reason. Everything works as described as long as you don't assign the mission too soo, as you basically indicated above Gunner98. Still some confusion for me about doctrine etc. but I'm sure I'll get that sorted out. And Gunner98 thanks for creating this tutorial in the first place, thanks for the help here!

Return to “Tech Support”