Developer support Aggressors: Ancient Rome.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

stormbringer3

Developer support Aggressors: Ancient Rome.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I recently purchased Aggressors: Ancient Rome. The developer support for this is A+. There have been too many games released and the developer and support quickly disappear. I own some of them. This is an excellent game IMO and I recommend that you check it out. A developer who puts out this kind support for his game deserves our attention.
zakblood

RE: Developer support.

Post by zakblood »

agreed, quite a few past this one by it seems, without really giving it the play it deserves, again imo only mind you
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
rico21

Post by rico21 »

I hesitate to buy this game, on the one hand it was not enough historical and a little fanciful, on the other the resolution of the fighting seems succinct.
But I love the Roman period so I wait to see more clearly (or cheaper!).[:D]
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

As far as "see more clearly" there are quite a few videos and AARs to check out. When you play a custom game you can set almost everything to your desire. You can pick your civilization, map size, difficulty, resource density, land mass sizes, etc.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

This will never replace a demo.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Having played probably 500 hours with this game, including through playtesting, I can confirm that it continues to hold my attention. The depth of its systems, combined with ease of play, makes it so fun to play - even when losing to the very good AI.

Two months since release and there are already several player mods and scenarios, and more in development. Besides the Ancient Mediterranean scenario, players have added a Battle over the Rhine mod (Romans vs Belgian/Germanic tribes), Roman Invasion of Brittain, Ancient Orient (1000 BC), Alexander the Great, Samnite Wars, and more.

I give this game my highest recommendation, over practically any other 4x game I've played over the last 20 years.

rico21

Post by rico21 »

Ok, add to my Zakblood purchase list![;)][:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

you know it makes sense, and you can always poke me in the eye if you don't like it, and i'm confident that's not going to happen on this one either, so thanks for the support and post your impressions either way, and you never know, it maybe one of your next games to mod on[;)]
Gnaeus

Post by Gnaeus »

Totally agree with the previous comments. This is one of the best computer games based on the ancient world that I have ever played. The developer has gone to unprecedented lengths to try to incorporate in a plausible way some of the factors behind the rise and decline of ancient empires. The relationships between these factors, and the feedback among them, make the major decisions an interesting balancing of known and potentially unpredictable consequences.

This is clearly a labor of love. The developer is constantly on the Slitherine and Steam forums, patiently addressing every suggestion and criticism.

If anyone wants to get an idea of what the game is like, the developer streams on gameplay on the Slitherine Youtube channel are excellent.

rico21

Post by rico21 »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

you know it makes sense, and you can always poke me in the eye if you don't like it, and i'm confident that's not going to happen on this one either, so thanks for the support and post your impressions either way, and you never know, it maybe one of your next games to mod on[;)]
If you told me some cracks, I'll send you my FIANCEE!!![:D]

Attachments
meme1.jpg
meme1.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 313 times
dejvid2

Post by dejvid2 »

I asked a question a couple of the days and the main developer posted a reply 15mins later even though it was late evening - clearly not just a day job.

I especially like the support for those designing their own scenarios and mods.
Even if you don't intend to do any of that yourself, you will still benefit from the growing amount of player generated scenarios already available.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks for the comments dejvid2 and welcome to the forum
rico21

RE: Developer support Aggressors: Ancient Rome.

Post by rico21 »

Zakblood, who knows everything, then I make a mod Britannia with your game?
As answer a yes or a no will suffice.

Attachments
01181065.jpg
01181065.jpg (190.59 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Cablenexus

Post by Cablenexus »

Add me to the list of love this game. I now have 497 hours on Steam, and another 800 hours before it was released.
The game is complex in detail but easy to manage. All ingame mechanism (diplomacy, supply, citizens, resources etc) work together like one big game and not like multiple mini games, the AI is fun to play against since it knows how to play the game and not because of a lot of cheating, there are random maps, there is a huge historical campaign scenario, the modding possibilities are endless.
With the mapbuilder you create your own map in minutes (just a simple picture -any picture- converts into a playable map).
You can alter all graphics, text and even the rules in simple XML and even write your own scripts.
All this without hardcoded limits in amount of resources and factions.
It's a wargamesandbox and historical game in one. It's also a passion project and the small dev team is working day and night to make it better since release.
Don't wait for a sale ;-)
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Is this game replacement for Civ4 & its mods? Since I have learned to handle Civ4:BtS with C2C mod, can I expect to learn Aggressors: Ancient Rome without too much difficulty?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Cablenexus

Post by Cablenexus »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Is this game replacement for Civ4 & its mods? Since I have learned to handle Civ4:BtS with C2C mod, can I expect to learn Aggressors: Ancient Rome without too much difficulty?

C2C mod is amazing and really huge. To not be dissapointed do not expect something big as that for Aggressors yet. C2C was a team effort of experienced modders over many years.

That said, I would never call it a replacement, but Aggressors brings enough new to the table to someone who liked the previous Civ games. You will not be able to play Aggressors the same way as you played Civ 4. It will work even against you. Civ games have their own strength and weaknesses.

In Aggressors all mechanism are bind together and have at least one more layer of depth to every mechanism then Civ 4 offers. For example. Building units and cities you need resources, you need territory, you need supply, you need the technologies etc, but you also have to control the birthrate and resourcemanagement. The people need to stay happy, but also loyal and morale plays a role. Mines can be worked in but it also depend if a river or a road is connected to them. So everything has an extra layer to make it more detailed and less casual.

To learn to play there is a major series of developer streams. From normal gameplay to detailed information of just a single subject. A 220 page manual. A simple and an advanced tutorial ingame and an ingame library.
And there are multiple settings for difficulty for the custom maps and the campaign as well.
It also matters which of the 20 factions you choose to play.

You will have to relearn parts, you have to stop doing things like you did in Civilization and after a few hours you will get there.
Cablenexus

Post by Cablenexus »

For those who like to get more information about Aggressors: Ancient Rome game,

Every friday there is a new Developer stream for Agressors on Twitch.
You can watch the previous streams here:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=87569

If you like to read about the development and what the game is now, here is a series of developer streams:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=87490

UPCOMING STREAM:
Friday 8 BST

https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup

stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

The developer has just released a new update.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Excellent game & great support = easy purchase.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

The developer just released another update on 12/17/18 version 1.0.7. I'm bringing this up here because I didn't see it above in the Press Releases section where updates are usually mentioned.

Return to “General Discussion”