Sea Lion or not Sea Lion.

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

ivanov

Sea Lion or not Sea Lion.

Post by ivanov »

The benefits of capturing the British Isles are huge for the Axis player, but the invasion is notoriously difficult and risky, mostly due to the supply problems, during the first turns after the initial landings. So I wanted to get the players opinions - is the invasion worth it? If, so what are your tips for a successful invasion? As mentioned above, to me the main problem is the supply of the invading forces. The British player can bomb the bridgehead with the strat bombers or with the navy. Anybody was successful against a skilled human oponent?

Lest we forget.
Goodmongo

RE: Sea Lion or not Sea Lion.

Post by Goodmongo »

I usually save it for last when I do the bomber/para on London option.
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

In my opinion:

You must always faint a Sea Lion. The longest the opponent believes a Sea Lion is possible, the longest the delay reinforcing the Mediterranean. Just having your paras on the Northern France ports along with a couple of air units are enough to give the impression that a Sea Lion is possible.

I only go for a Sea Lion if British presence in Mediterranean and Egypt is overwhelming. If it seems that most of the UK fleet is there, and Britain comes in force to take Torbruk with lets say 4-5 infantry and heavy air support, it's easy to assume that England has maxiimum 1-2 corps, 1-2 garrisons, 1 fighter, and maybe 1 antiair.
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

ORIGINAL: Ktonos

In my opinion:

You must always faint a Sea Lion. The longest the opponent believes a Sea Lion is possible, the longest the delay reinforcing the Mediterranean. Just having your paras on the Northern France ports along with a couple of air units are enough to give the impression that a Sea Lion is possible.

I only go for a Sea Lion if British presence in Mediterranean and Egypt is overwhelming. If it seems that most of the UK fleet is there, and Britain comes in force to take Torbruk with lets say 4-5 infantry and heavy air support, it's easy to assume that England has maxiimum 1-2 corps, 1-2 garrisons, 1 fighter, and maybe 1 antiair.

So from what you're saying, I understand that it's not really worth to try the actual invasion?
Lest we forget.
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

I didn't say that. I just said that in my opinion the invasion is worth it only if Allies overcommit in mediterranean. Provided you spot such overcommitment early on.
Lets say you just conquered France, and the bulk of the German units are there. Italy joins the war and next thing you know is having several English corps in your face rushing towards Tobruk. This might be time to consider sea lion. You spot the BEF amongst the advancing English? Or even better, you spot two English HQs? That means 99% no HQ in England. Not doing Sea Lion in that case is a missed opportunity to make yourself a big favorite to win the match.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”