Pace of the game. (PBEM)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Edward75

Pace of the game. (PBEM)

Post by Edward75 »

I always play like Japan. First 2 months of the game takes me 5 days on average (except for very first turns, they are of course longer).
Why so long? There are several reasons: There are a lot of redeployment of units, supplies and much more. It is necessary to check a lot, to control it manually in each hex.
For example:
1. During an air attack (even invisible) to ground units, they can cancel move mode.
2. Damaged ships when entering in port automatically go to repair mode, but not to one you want to choose.
3. When pilots are transferred from one squadron to another, there is a delay in days. When delay becomes 1 day, they do not enter automatically, but need to be assigned manually every time. (Very uncomfortable)
4. It is necessary to check availability of supply at Bases. Because even with specified amount, it is not preserved, but may increase and even decrease from required.
5. After Naval combat, TFs may change mode or mission.
And much more.

I hope then I will make turns faster when front stabilizes, but so far. I understand that 5 days is too much. Many thanks to creator of the tracker! This program helps a lot in game!
Tell us how much you make a turn in days (real time, along with sleep, food, etc.). How to speed up this process?
Yaab

RE: Pace of the game. (PBEM)

Post by Yaab »

LCU movement tip.

LCU movement in Tracker.

Go to "Alerts" section in Tracker. You can copy all alerts for LCUs (arrived/packed etc) by highlighting them in Tracker by holding SHIFT and left-clicking the alerts you want to highlight. Then CTRL+C the selected alerts and copy them to MS Word or Libre. Thus, you can create a master checklist for LCU movements for the whole war. As LCUs arrive in their destinations, you delete the LCUs from the checklist.

Hope it helps.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yeah it can be pain at first, I have a booklet keep track of movements, headquarters, divisions, etc. I never use the tracker and did just fine without it.

One thing for sure is to write down all those bases in Japan, except for Hokkaido to keep track of supplies, fuel, resources and oils. So you will know what you are running low on or focus on. The logistic system is really weird, kept moving them around unless you are trying to stockpile in that bases. Glad we have that options cause the original WitP doesn't.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

If you haven't already seen it, here is the link to Alfred's "Logistics 101": tm.asp?m=2878790

Note that units "in the field" get priority for supplies, so that will cause supplies at a base to fluctuate. Even with stockpiling, the game engine will not let a unit starve if it has a supply path to it.

Also note that setting too many supply draw amounts or stockpiles will break the game engine code governing distribution of supplies "to where they are needed". You should not have to play with supply in Japan's Home Islands unless you plan to load a very big TF and need to have more supply on hand for first day loading. Once loading is started, more supply will automatically flow there.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

3. When pilots are transferred from one squadron to another, there is a delay in days. When delay becomes 1 day, they do not enter automatically, but need to be assigned manually every time. (Very uncomfortable)

Don't know if its the best, but here's a method I use. From the 'Intelligence screen' (IIRC) I check the pilots button. Next I go to where it shows those in group mode, these will show what groups to whom those 'one day' pilots belong. Exit the 'Intelligence screen'.

Then click the button that shows the groups that are in the game. They're really two, one for LBA, the other for ship borne. They're found at the top of the screen also, around mid-screen. Scroll to the correct group, click and make the pilot part of the group. Not great, but it helps, at least for me.
Tell us how much you make a turn in days (real time, along with sleep, food, etc.).

Sleep, pfttt. Who needs sleep.[:D]

Food, plenty of places near me deliver.[:'(]
How to speed up this process?

The only way I've found is develop a routine, and repetition. Still can only get maybe five turns a week.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Don't know if its the best, but here's a method I use. From the 'Intelligence screen' (IIRC) I check the pilots button. Next I go to where it shows those in group mode, these will show what groups to whom those 'one day' pilots belong. Exit the 'Intelligence screen'.

Then click the button that shows the groups that are in the game. They're really two, one for LBA, the other for ship borne. They're found at the top of the screen also, around mid-screen. Scroll to the correct group, click and make the pilot part of the group. Not great, but it helps, at least for me.
I just click Request Veteran, and there you can sort by days until arrival. But according to manual, those pilots should become active, once necessary. I however feel, that they are always necessary right now :)
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The way to speed things up if you are playing the Japanese is to capitulate on day one. Otherwise, figure stuff out then do it.

Squamry

Post by Squamry »

Do you really need to check everything every turn? For some areas the answer is definitely yes as these are key to current operations but for low risk/rear areas then every few turns should be fine.

I pay a lot of atention to the combat replay as this tells me where I need to focus my efforts. Everywhere else I can skim over.

There is a huge amount of micromanagement available in the game but you don't need to constantly use it. Stuff will carry on fine.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Squamry
There is a huge amount of micromanagement available in the game but you don't need to constantly use it. Stuff will carry on fine.
This.
IMO an important player skill or better call it mindset is to learn to operate on some higher level of abstraction. You can try and do everything "by hand" each turn, controlling every pilot, every LCU replacement arrival, every training increase. Those moments can seem like you are squeezing everything you can from the game. But in fact, those control actions can quickly pile up, wear you out, and distract you from the strategic picture. And given the randomness in the game, these efficiency gimmicks add little to the picture as a whole.

Playing 2+ day turns is a good exercise to train oneself to care less about excessive micromanagement. Worked in my case I guess. Was far from pleasant at first [:D]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

How to go faster? Don't sweat the small stuff, or if you do - know that it's costing you time for diminishing returns (getting things "mostly right" is often enough, you don't need to wring every last drop out of everything unless you really do have all the time in the world).

How to go even faster? Move things in big groups. Big convoys, air groups all moving together, etc. LCUs in the same hex set all to march (and then if you have a few going somewhere else, change that destination).
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Edward75

I always play like Japan. First 2 months of the game takes me 5 days on average (except for very first turns, they are of course longer).
Why so long?

If you are running two months of game (roughly 60 turns) in only 5 real world days assuming you are doing other things like living life in those 5 days...then I think you are probably going very fast.

However, if I misunderstand, which is common, and seek to speed up turns against the AI, then I recommend streamlining the turn to process from the beginning to end with no pauses, and use the program combat reporter to look at each turn and skip watching the turn replay. You can even skip combat reporter and just use in game reports if you like.

Try 2 day turns...work yourself up to 3 or more if you are comfortable.

Prioritize theaters...spending time on critical/active theaters first and backwaters only once a week or even once a month.

Follow the other good advice given in this thread.

Edward75

Post by Edward75 »

You completely misunderstood my thought.
I never play against AI, this is NOT interesting for me!
I said that for 1 Turn in game (PBEM) it takes me 5 real days (on average). In addition to very first 1-5 Turns, which are naturally longer. And my pace of game takes 5 days in December 1941 - January 1942. After I think that I will perform one Turn faster, perhaps in 4-3 days.

No one answered how much you make one Turn in a real-time (PBEM) game?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I said that for 1 Turn in game (PBEM) it takes me 5 real days (on average). In addition to very first 1-5 Turns, which are naturally longer. And my pace of game takes 5 days in December 1941 - January 1942. After I think that I will perform one Turn faster, perhaps in 4-3 days.

I see. I have run the first turn as Japan in as little as five minutes or as long as 10 hours. Generally, I will spend no more than 1 hour (including watching the replay on a turn). If the game goes lazy in late 42 and 43 often I can flip turns in 15 minutes. When the Allied offensive starts to heat up and once into 1944 I can spend 2 hours on a turn although I try to keep it down to 1 hour. Depends if there has been major action or pilot management.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I strongly think you should get Combat Reporter, found here tm.asp?m=2456864

It does not provide any more information than the program does, but it does organize it to be more easily accessed.

I have only played the Allies in PBEM, and some turns I do in 20-30 minutes, and others take a couple of hours to do, occasionally even more time is needed. I do also tend to spend some time when I do not have a turn available to look around and make notes on things I want to do in the future.
dasboot1960

Post by dasboot1960 »

I'm just into Feb 42 playing first time as Japanese. My first turn was easily 100+ hours of real time, the largest single chunk of that time went to identifying merchant routes, tasking ships for those routes and getting them moving, probably next longest was just trying to get an overview of what I had, where they were historically targeted, and getting them moving. Notice how I did not mention consideration of strategic direction...Follow on turns generally go 4-6 hours now, but some have gotten to 10+ hours particularly when having to allocate more merchant shipping or tracking aircraft and engine production runs. I have made many mistakes without a recent save and had to start the turn over. I highly recommend saving often. Much better to have than have not. My quickest turn around so far has been perhaps 2 hour on 2-3 turns where most everything was already in motion. I am playing one day turns.
Down like a CLOWN!
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Anywhere between 3 minutes and 2 hours. Not including time watching the replay (which can vary from 2 minutes to 15 minutes).

I've literally done two turns for the same game within 30 minutes on some occasions, because my opponent also sent one back within 20 minutes.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

1-2 hours after the initial chaos of the first month or two dies down. What others have said is true: you've got to impose some turn discipline on yourself to avoid checking everything all the time.

As a Japanese player, for example, you can set your training groups in the home islands / Manchuko and elsewhere to automatically train pilots. They need only be checked / 'harvested' once a month or so. CS auto convoy routes need not be checked daily. Same with most LCUs away from the front lines.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Usually about 1,5 hour (including replay) for the small intensity turn up to 3 hours with high-intensity or pilot training attendance :)
Edward75

Post by Edward75 »

I don't use CS auto convoy, this is wrong. It is necessary to constantly control route of convoys, attacks of enemy submarines. And much more. I'm more serious about game!
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

I don't use CS auto convoy, this is wrong. It is necessary to constantly control route of convoys, attacks of enemy submarines. And much more. I'm more serious about game!
Well, there lies your problem. It is not necessary to constantly control everything

E.g. CS convoys can run perfectly fine until there is a sub attack. Then you just change their waypoints and they continue being CS convoys. Or you saturate their route with ASW TFs to fend off subs.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”