[RESOLVED] After Steam update I get an error with lots of content missing from DB

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

AlexinCT

[RESOLVED] After Steam update I get an error with lots of content missing from DB

Post by AlexinCT »

When I go update the DB option for my scenarios after the 998.12 update from Steam, I get an error that a very large number of platforms no longer are in the DB and to contact the owner.

I attempted to add a picture of the message produced here but get an error when uploading files saying: "C:\fakepath\DB upgrade message.png is not supported".

I am wondering if the issue is with the Steam update or if there has actually been a lot of content removed from the DB so I can figure out what to do.
michaelm75au

RE: After Steam update I get an error with lots of content missing from DB

Post by michaelm75au »

Can you zip up one of the scenarios and can try against a non-steam version
Michael
Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

Hi AlexinCT,

can you check the creation date/ last modified date of DB3K_475.db3 and CWDB_475.db3? Those should be the newest files by date in the DB folder. If this isn't the case, that can cause problems. Several users reported problems before with a wrong modification date in the Steam version. I had those problems, too. Copying those files and renaming them fixed these issues for me.
AlexinCT

Post by AlexinCT »

Uzabit, I checked the date on CWDB_47.db3 and that was 10/12/2018 which is when I think the update ran on my box. When I look at DB3K_475.db3, that has a date of 08/11/2018 (same as DB3K_474.db3 I add), which seems to imply that didn't update.

I am a bit unsure about your recommendation and am asking for clarification. When you say copy these 2 files, do you mean just create a copy then renaming the file or renaming the copied file (and renaming the files to what specifically)?

Thanks
Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

Ah, sorry, forget the last advice, renaming or copying doesn't change modification dates.

Before you change anything, is there a DB3K file that is newer? On my system, strangely CWDB_425 and DB3K_427 were changed to a modifikation date of 08/21/2018 after an update, which caused problems because DB3K_475 was older. I resaved DB3K_475 in an editor (without tampering anything) - that updated the modification date. There is third party software that can change the dates of a file.
AlexinCT

Post by AlexinCT »

Uzabit, no, none of my files are newer (I actually have DBK3_467 to DBK3_475 all with the same date of 8/10/2018. I am wondering if I copy the files elsewhere and restart steam if it might do an update and get the files with the right dates. What did you use to resave or change the date? Attempts to rename it to change the date will not work?

I went to Steam and told it to verify the integrity of the game files (after copying the older files to a different folder), and it downloaded DBK3_467 to DBK3_475 with the same 8/12/2018 date. Seams the issue is coming out of Steam.
Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

Yup, that won't work.

Before you do anything, create a backup of the files. Then you can choose the option "open with" by right clicking on the file, then choose the standard windows text editor ("Editor"), then deselect the option to always open that file type with that program. After opening the file, simply save it in the same folder. That should modify the date.
AlexinCT

Post by AlexinCT »

All right it seems that when I went back to Steam and selected "Command". looked at properties, then went to the update tab and clicked the button to verify content that it fixed 18 files on my computer which solved the issues. When I went in to do a DB update it now tells me that my Command module is already on the latest DB, and I am not longer seeing the error.

Just posting this as an alternate solution to renaming the file, but still want to thank Uzabit (and you too michaelm75au) for the help. GAME ON!
Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

That's nice to hear! :-)
mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Yeah, I had a DB version 430-something or near that (back a ways) with a later date than the 475. That caused the issue in the OP for me. I basically moved that file into another folder just in case I needed it, but otherwise I could update to 475 just fine after that.

And yes, I'm on the Steam version. However, the game's method of using the 'newest' by mod date, rather than by DB version is a bit lazy on the coding end as well...
--Mav
Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

Yeah, and I don't know if there's any deeper reason for sorting by modification date instead of the naming scheme.

Return to “Tech Support”