A spywhare integrated in Civ 6

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

rico21

RE: A spywhare integrated in Civ 6

Post by rico21 »

For me the real nuisance is not all the spyware that plays Big Brother.
The real nuisance is that by doing so, it slows down my PC in my activities and that is a storm in my cup of coffee! [:D]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

It really shouldn't slow anything down. If it does then they've done it really badly :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Especially at present, there is as much spyware on a computer as fleas on a dog. [:D]
It is their increasing number which is the embarrassment. [:(]
Dabo

Post by Dabo »

to work out which marketing campaign generated your sale on Steam, as there is currently no other way to track it back as team does not provide the tools to do that. Its just a tool to help marketeers understand which of their campaigns are working and which not. The idea that its trying to steal your personal data is completely misleading and untrue.
Glad you don't use it but still it's something that collects my data and phones back the info without my approval (and knowledge) that's pretty much the definition of spyware and it probably violates the new GDPR .
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

This is a storm in a teacup. Loads of games have RedShell and its entire purpose is to work out which marketing campaign generated your sale on Steam, as there is currently no other way to track it back as team does not provide the tools to do that. Its just a tool to help marketeers understand which of their campaigns are working and which not. The idea that its trying to steal your personal data is completely misleading and untrue. We don't use RedShell and don't plan to but can see why developers do. It's just people trying to create a fuss about something that really doesn't matter.
Yes, I can understand that that is what they want to do. But, in my humble opinion, that is not a nice way to do it. And once they gather that data they might find other way to use that data. And, perhaps, combine it with other sources of data to compile it into a "better" profile.

I think it deserves more objections than I think it currently gets. Although that is just mine humble opinion.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Agreed. As stated earlier, I seriously doubt Steam is stealing banking information, or financial info, or anything at all of that nature. And what they do will not slow down your machine [:-] Part of their EULA is they can use information gathered for marketing purposes, just as Ian states. But it was a lot of data gathered. And I am a paranoid little bastage [:'(]

That same language was used by Facebook, and by a LOT of other file share servers. I have never seen anything like that type of file transfer from Matrix, or GoG. And you have no idea where data gathered will end up, because you do allow it to be distributed as the far end see's fit as a part of the EULA agreements. Your not paranoid if there really is someone out there [;)] And a little paranoia when using the internet is a good thing.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Agreed. As stated earlier, I seriously doubt Steam is stealing banking information, or financial info, or anything at all of that nature. And what they do will not slow down your machine [:-] Part of their EULA is they can use information gathered for marketing purposes, just as Ian states. But it was a lot of data gathered. And I am a paranoid little bastage [:'(]

That same language was used by Facebook, and by a LOT of other file share servers. I have never seen anything like that type of file transfer from Matrix, or GoG. And you have no idea where data gathered will end up, because you do allow it to be distributed as the far end see's fit as a part of the EULA agreements. Your not paranoid if there really is someone out there [;)] And a little paranoia when using the internet is a good thing.
+1
I pay cash everywhere I can, just so the merchant doesn't get any info about me that could be misused or stolen.
sanch

Post by sanch »

ORIGINAL: Zorch
+1
I pay cash everywhere I can, just so the merchant doesn't get any info about me that could be misused or stolen.

And when they ask for my phone number, I just say "Sorry, unlisted." for the exact same reasons.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Dabo

and in other games too. Here's a l list.
The program is called Red Shell (be aware there’s also a virus with the same name).

The purpose of this software is to track the "device" (PC, console, whatever) it is installed on, observing such things as what game(s) you play, what youtube video(s) you watch, and more, in order to report back to Red Shell's clients about how successful those clients' advertising campaigns are.

I’m not a lawyer but it should be illegal under the new EU’s GDPR if they don’t provide an opt-out. If you’re not an Eu citizen it depends on your country’s legislation.
Some of the companies in the list have removed the software claiming they didn’t know about it (yeah sure). 2K hasn't yet.
Is anyone aware of an update to this? [8|]
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

This is a storm in a teacup. Loads of games have RedShell and its entire purpose is to work out which marketing campaign generated your sale on Steam, as there is currently no other way to track it back as team does not provide the tools to do that. Its just a tool to help marketeers understand which of their campaigns are working and which not. The idea that its trying to steal your personal data is completely misleading and untrue. We don't use RedShell and don't plan to but can see why developers do. It's just people trying to create a fuss about something that really doesn't matter.

Let me the first to say, don't ever plan to and don't change your minds!!
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Supposedly Kerbal Space Program has a way to opt out. I just went and clicked opt out. I hope that does it.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

where in KSP did you do this, just been looking for the setting in the program and can't find it.[&:]
"Personal isn't the same as important"
E

Post by E »

I'm completely confused... Why is anybody okay with being spied on?
(Even if benign, have databases never been hacked?)
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's part and parcel of being in the modern electronic world now days i'm afraid

Nvidia been doing it for years, almost every O/S from any maker has, 99% of all browsers, nearly all the camera in the world, and on and on and on, phones, smart TV's, if you wish to go off grid, it's hard to see maybe many places left to really be off the total surveillance grid. so just live with it,..

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I didn't really like Civ VI, but I do like the older series though. Glad none of those games that I have except one is Elder Scrolls Online.

While they have that, what could possible happen to you or your pc?
Orm

Post by Orm »

so just live with it,..

I rather everyone objected. Even if they did use the products.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
rico21

Post by rico21 »

I do not understand that we can be offended to be spied on, listened to, filmed ...
Is not this what God has been doing since the beginning?
We are just trying to look like him ...
or to take himself for him![:D]
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

ORIGINAL: Otto von Blotto
where in KSP did you do this, just been looking for the setting in the program and can't find it.[&:]

KSP does not contain Red Shell, it contains Unity Analytics.

An opt-out page should display the first time the new version is run. If not I believe you can edit the Settings: [General tab, System pane, "Show Unity Analytics Dialog on Next Startup Only"] and then next time you start the game the opt-out option is shown.
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

Thanks Mobeer, I will take a look at that.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: zakblood
it's part and parcel of being in the modern electronic world now days i'm afraid

Nvidia been doing it for years, almost every O/S from any maker has, 99% of all browsers, nearly all the camera in the world, and on and on and on, phones, smart TV's, if you wish to go off grid, it's hard to see maybe many places left to really be off the total surveillance grid. so just live with it,..
I still don't understand the apathetic acceptance? Historically, many terrible things have been reversed, that were once accepted as inevitable or prevalent (at best).
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

Return to “General Discussion”