[WAD] Build 998.12 ASW Partols MAY BE defaulting to weapons free

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

BeirutDude

[WAD] Build 998.12 ASW Partols MAY BE defaulting to weapons free

Post by BeirutDude »

So these things usually seem to be something I'm doing wrong, but on 2 different laptops and EVERY scenario I try it on since Build 998.12 everytime I attempt to define an ASW Patrol the WCS comes up on "Weapons Free" despite default settings for the side's doctrine which are Weapons Tight. So not sure how I am screwing up on two different computers and on Command Live Scenarios????? This example is from Kuril Sunrise...

Attachments
ASW.jpg
ASW.jpg (272.24 KiB) Viewed 68 times
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
BeirutDude

RE: Build 998.12 ASW Partols MAY BE defaulting to weapons free

Post by BeirutDude »

Kuril Sunrise Doctrine, note weapons tight for sub-surface but when the above ASW Patrol was defined it defaulted to Weapons Free (I did not change anything!).

Attachments
Kuril Sunr..Doctrine.jpg
Kuril Sunr..Doctrine.jpg (236.37 KiB) Viewed 68 times
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

I think you are right, even when the side doctrine/WRA ASW setting is TIGHT it switches to FREE when a new ASW mission is setup, I tried it in the Commonwealth Collision scenario...

It definitely looks like a bug...
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Thank you, so it’s not just me!!!!!!

Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

Nope, it's the same on my computer, so it's definitely set to FREE for ASW Patrols by default.
Amnectrus

Post by Amnectrus »

I think this has been the case for a while, and I thought it was intentional... AAW Patrol missions also default to active radar, and there might be others. I did a quick check in the manual and Mega FAQ but didn't see any list of what missions have what default settings.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Based on past events, I can hear the screams already if the ASW patrol did not get set up as FREE.
"My carrier just got sunk because the helos on patrol detected a sub, but never attack it. BUGGGG!!!!!!"[:D]
"I don't want to have to go to every unit in ASW mission and change the WRA to FREE, each tine it detects something."

I personally always check the WRA settings on any mission to ensure that it what I want. There are so many options now it is not worth the risk to assume it us going to be set the way you expect it to.
Michael
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: michaelm75au
Based on past events, I can hear the screams already if the ASW patrol did not get set up as FREE.
"My carrier just got sunk because the helos on patrol detected a sub, but never attack it. BUGGGG!!!!!!"[:D]

^^^ This, very much so.

To paraphrase the old adage about safety rules: "The current default mission settings are written in the blood of past virtual crews who thought their own settings were better".

And before anyone thinks it's just a "gamey" behavior, this tends to hold true in real life as well: In the Falklands in 1982 the RN ended up expending almost their entire available ASW weaponry on biologicals and other false contacts, as they pounded on them well before they realized they were not shooting at a sub.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi Michael, I only thought I might be a bug because I didn't remember seeing it before, I like you check my doctrine and WRA settings in every mission I setup...

Also I don't say BUG!!! every time, in the thread in the link below I have stated I believe the opposite to be true...

tm.asp?m=4542523

Hey if its WAD thats awesome, thanks for taking the time to reply to us :-)
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Lowlaner2012 < He doesn't mean you personally will scream "Bug". It's simply been our experience that even subtle logic changes can result in "cure worse than the problem" situations [:)]

See also this classic from XKCD:

Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Thanks Dimitris...

I tend to take things a bit to personally sometimes...

BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

I also tend to take things personally. [:D]

Honestly I discovered this was happening when a P-3C crew started WW3 sinking a PRC Han Class about 4 hours before they were supposed to! Dang those Sky Pig crews taking the initiative...

Whicker

Post by Whicker »

ah - I see, I was wondering why it was an issue - it is an issue if you are not at war... I didn't think of that. Have to keep that in mind, though most of the time peace doesn't seem to be an issue.
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

I've also been known to throw in neutral submarines and charge large VP costs if you accidentally (or intentionally) sink them. Keeps people honest and they "don't classify them with a torpedo!' See Mediterranean Tsunami 2019. There are Turkish and Israeli subs there that are NOT fair game. [:)] [8D] [X(]

Return to “Tech Support”