[WAD] Why won't they fire?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

LMychajluk

[WAD] Why won't they fire?

Post by LMychajluk »

In the attached, why wouldn't the F-16s in Flight Havoc36 automatically fire the Mavericks at the targets right in front of them?

If I try to fire manually, it says the weapon is not configured for that target type, but the WRA for the unit and the mission is set to 1 rd for any 'Mobile' targets, incl. 'Unspecified'. I think I had the same issue w/ Mk82s in another flight, and my flights would just circle around w/o firing before being shot down or RTB'd instead of attacking the ground troops.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thx!

Attachments
Donofan..RAIssue.zip
(885.6 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Lowlaner2012

RE: Why won't they fire?

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi I think I may have found why the F-16s are not firing, I ran your save a few times and they didint fire, I then checked your WRA settings...

I noticed you had dont use this weapon on Land contact-unkown targets, the contacts close to the F-16s are unkown land targets hence the question marks, I then set the WRA setting to 1 round per unkown target and the F-16s started firing at the ground targets...

Cheers
LMychajluk

Post by LMychajluk »

Hmmm... I set that to prevent them from unloading Mavericks at things like bunkers or buildings, but the contacts are marked as 'Mobile - Unknown Class'. I would think that once identified as 'Mobile', they would fall under the heading of Mobile Target Hard Unspecified (or Mobile Target Soft Unspecified), both of which I had set as to 1 rd? I guess not? I'll give changing the setting a shot, but it still doesn't sound like the 'right' category for these targets.

Been playing CMANO for a little over a year. Now I'm out of work and spending a bit more time with it, and learning all the little nuances.

Edit - Nope... Something still going on. When I start, there are a couple of Mavericks fired, but I may have manually fired them prior to the first save. I tried changing the WRA, forcing the reset, and even removing and re-adding the flight to the mission, and after the 2-3 initial Mavericks, the flight just circles around for a while while 'Engaged Offensive'. This save is a minute or two later, and the flight pulled out, re-oriented, and is now on a beeline for the targets. WRA is re-set. But, when the targets are in range, they don't fire (Manual fire shows 'Automatic Fire Not Allowed - WRA Says Do Not Use this weapon against this target type'.

This sounds similar to 'Aircraft not engaging surface targets with guns' thread (?) - tm.asp?m=4540803

Updated save attached. Start the scenario and allow the planes to fly into Maverick range, then check in the manual fire window. I tried at a couple of different altitudes, too...

This is with the latest Steam version - now shows as v1.14 Build 998.12 in the title bar.
Attachments
Don of a n.. Issue 2.zip
(879.79 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Wierd, as soon as I changed the WRA setting to unknown target to 1 round they fired off all the mavericks and then a bit later headed back to base....

Maybe the devs could take a wee look...

Edit: I will take look at the updated save tonight :-)

Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi, I tried your save and if I leave the WRA options alone the F-16s dont fire....

But again when I changed the Land contact-unkown type WRA setting to fire 1 round the F-16s follow orders and fire their Mavericks at the first SAM that fires and gives away its precise location...

I honestly dont think there is a bug, to me its just learning what the different WRA settings do and dont do....

I have attached a save from after I changed the WRA and the F-16s have fired there missles...
Attachments
Don of a n..launched.zip
(878.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

The F-16s engaged after setting the WRA of Land Contact - Unknown Type to 1 rnd. The time of the last detection is also a key factor here.
Uzabit

Post by Uzabit »

P.S.: Engaging a manpad section with Mavericks might not be the most suitable option.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

ORIGINAL: Uzabit

The F-16s engaged after setting the WRA of Land Contact - Unknown Type to 1 rnd. The time of the last detection is also a key factor here.

Yep you are correct Uzabit, the Mavericks will not fire until the the F-16 has a precise location to point the IR seeker at, whether thats from a SAM being launched or by a close flyby....

And I agree a Maverick for a manpad is a bit to much... :)
LMychajluk

Post by LMychajluk »

ORIGINAL: Uzabit

This sort of makes sense. I reloaded the attached saves and played around w/ them a bit more. Thought the contacts were detected, they weren't detected by the F16s (maybe an earlier flight or U2 pass - couldn't tell because the detection history was blank). On one play-through, some of the contacts were eventually detected by the Maverick's IR sensors, after which they did start firing.

I guess I was a bit confused by the WRA message in the Attack dialog because it did seem to indicate it was the WRA preventing the firing, even after resetting it.

As for Mavericks vs. MANPAD, sometimes you just got to work with what you brought. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me!

Return to “Tech Support”