A clarification re: EQP/NQP files?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Shadrach

A clarification re: EQP/NQP files?

Post by Shadrach »

Been wondering this a while, and with the new system for folders I feel it needs a clarification.

Are EQP/NQP files deprecated now, if scenarios are saved in the TOAW4 editor?

Scenarios aren't saved with their associated EQP files so I wonder just how they relate to the individual scenarios.

If they are still needed, I think it would be much better if they are just placed alongside the SCE file instead of placed in a separate directory to the confusion of users.

This would also leave the Graphics Override to be used only for what it's meant for - *Graphics*.

What even are "NQP" files?
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Oberst_Klink

RE: A clarification re: EQP/NQP files?

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

Been wondering this a while, and with the new system for folders I feel it needs a clarification.

Scenarios aren't saved with their associated EQP files so I wonder just how they relate to the individual scenarios.

If they are still needed, I think it would be much better if they are just placed alongside the SCE file instead of placed in a separate directory to the confusion of users.

This would also leave the Graphics Override to be used only for what it's meant for - *Graphics*.

The Equipment.nqp file allows designers to edit the naval scale factors of the base naval equipment flag classes. It also allows designers to explicitly specify the naval parameters for individual ship classes.

It's in the What's New 4.0 document.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

There is a new system necessitated by Steam. You now should store ALL files (EQP, NQP, Graphics, Sound) in the same folder as the scenario files. The workshop will download them all into one directory, so that's the only option I could easily do.

Since this is a patch and not a new release, I couldn't reorganize everything to fit the new organization.

EQP/NQP values are now coded into the scenarios as well as being separate. This was done so that the game wouldn't be broken if the second person in a pbem game didn't have the same eqp/nqp.

Sorry for the confusion, if I'd read the steam documentation before the initial release I would have put everything in the Program Files directory just like the Steam version does.

Ralph
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Thanks for the reply Ralph, and no worries, I'm mostly just curious.

I'm just wondering what to do with the about 100 folders in the Graphics Override folder.

I moved all the old scenario-folders from the Documents folder into the game folder. These contain mostly eqp and nqp files and some graphics. I assume it's best to just leave them be, but it would be nice to be able to delete the ~270MB too [;)]

For instance, there's files:
Scenarios\WW II - West Front\Ardennes 1944 (bmp, doc, pdf, SCE).
There's also
Graphics Override\Ardennes 1944\Ardennes 1944.eqp
Of 2.5MB. What would happen if this was deleted?

OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Thanks for the reply Ralph, and no worries, I'm mostly just curious.

I'm just wondering what to do with the about 100 folders in the Graphics Override folder.

I moved all the old scenario-folders from the Documents folder into the game folder. These contain mostly eqp and nqp files and some graphics. I assume it's best to just leave them be, but it would be nice to be able to delete the ~270MB too [;)]

For instance, there's files:
Scenarios\WW II - West Front\Ardennes 1944 (bmp, doc, pdf, SCE).
There's also
Graphics Override\Ardennes 1944\Ardennes 1944.eqp
Of 2.5MB. What would happen if this was deleted?
Please give me a couple of days to take care of a couple of issues that came up and I'll install the matrix version along with the update and take a look at what may be off and work up instructions for people that want to minimize the footprint.

In that specific case, it looks like it's set up the way it should be. The eqp file was put there under 4.0 so that it could be easily found under PBEM, although eqp files are also part of the saved scenario file. I now look in the parent folder (in this case WW II - West Front) on the second players system for any graphics files, which was the original reason for the scenario folders in the Graphics and Graphics Override folders.

Under 4.1, the eqp file should just be moved to the Scenarios\WW II - West Front\Ardennes 1944 (bmp, doc, pdf, SCE) folder (along with any graphics) and it would be found.

Hope that helps.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Sorry, I'm a bit confused...currently I don't have any plans to install the Steam version...where should I put my graphics and eqp files?
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Sorry, I'm a bit confused...currently I don't have any plans to install the Steam version...where should I put my graphics and eqp files?

My Games\TOAW\Scenarios or Graphics Override, as you have done already.

Only change is that we have started putting patch updates toofficial scenarios under the game's main folders in "Program Files".

In terms of users copying custom scenarios, nothing has changed.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

I obviously need to figure out a better way to explain this.

The old way still works just fine, and you are free to continue using that method.

As an alternative, you can also put everything into the same directory as the scenario and that works just fine too. If you do that, then both people in a PBEM game need to have the same base folder (For example WWII - West Front.)

You can put files into either the Program Files/.../(Scenario or Graphics or Graphics Override) folder or the Documents/My Games/... directory.

It's TOO flexible as a result of evolution.

Ralph
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Strategic Command has been using Steam for some time and has never had any of these folder location issues. Everything for SC3 is still in 'Documents/My Games', which was something forced on us for Windows security reasons. Now we have to go back to Program Files ...why ??

I don't care, I don't use Steam and don't see a reason why I would.
John T_MatrixForum

Post by John T_MatrixForum »

-delete
/John T

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”