Soviet sappers and the engineer combat bonus

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

thedoctorking

Soviet sappers and the engineer combat bonus

Post by thedoctorking »

I had been brought to understand that the combat engineer bonus no longer applied to Soviet sapper units. Somebody has now told me otherwise. Does anybody know about this? Is it different depending on what version you started the game with? Or the current version you are running under?
thedoctorking

RE: Soviet sappers and the engineer combat bonus

Post by thedoctorking »

Bump? Anybody know the answer to this?
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

I don't know a for sure answer but at one point the soviet engineer bonus was severely reduced if not eliminated due to how many sapper regiments soviet players used.

Since sapper regiments no longer exist the soviet engineer bonus for the remaining otherwise completely useless sapper battalions maybe should be re-added if it hasn't been. As right now those battalions are almost useless otherwise and are just a waste of manpower really.
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

I'm not sure either, but what I thought I had heard was that the number of internal support squads had bee reduced in the TOEs... and that gets into the rate of digging and into the combat CV calculations. So the story was their value was reduced in that way. However, I have yet to actually read anything from Morvael or Denniss on this. There may be an explanation in the patch notes, but I haven't yet dug it up.
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Sapper squads should have standard bonus if type = engineer and half bonus if type = Engineer-Sapper
The Engineer-Sapper type change has not been implemented to the 39/41 squads yet. 42 squads will stay engineers with usage limited to assault engineer Brigades (onmap unit)
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”