The Operational Art of War goes on Steam this month!

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Daniele

The Operational Art of War goes on Steam this month!

Post by Daniele »

The Operational Art of War IV, the new generation of operational wargames, will be released on Steam on October 15th!

Players will be pleased to know that the huge number of scenarios and content will be integrated with the Steam Workshop tool.

With an unmatched level of flexibility and with a new array of exciting features, The Operational Art of War IV will make you relive the most iconic battles from the dawn of the 20th Century to modern day, including the ones that never occurred!

To properly celebrate this important achievement, The Operational Art of War IV will have a Steam Twitch Stream on October 15th at 6PM BST on our official url=https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup]Twitch Channel!

Check out the Steam Page here

Freyr Oakenshield

RE: The Operational Art of War goes on Steam this month!

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Oh, I didn't notice you'd shared the link - sorry [:(]
Tbilisi

Post by Tbilisi »

I have a Steam account, but rarely play their games. What does Steam bring to the table regarding this game?
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

ORIGINAL: Tbilisi

I have a Steam account, but rarely play their games. What does Steam bring to the table regarding this game?

Playing TOAW IV on Android tablet !

My couch time is going to be enhanced with this development [;)]
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
erazerhead99

Post by erazerhead99 »

Workshop integration, i.e. scenarios and mods will be available on the steam platform in an organized und easy to manage way.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Automatic updates. No need to go looking for them.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Tbilisi

Post by Tbilisi »

I expect that TOAW IV acquired through Steam can still be played without having a Steam connection. If the game requires an on-line session then that would be a deal breaker and instead I'd buy it directly through Matrix/Slitherine. So far, the few games I've bought from Steam need to be played within their client. I'll have to know if there are any restrictions on the game before I'm on board with this idea. Or am I reading too much into this?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

If the game requires an on-line session then that would be a deal breaker and instead I'd buy it directly through Matrix/Slitherine. So far, the few games I've bought from Steam need to be played within their client.
I use Steam as little as possible, but the only game I play "through" Steam actually allows me to launch the game without going through the Steam client, although I have not tried it offline.

But it is not an "either/or" situation, because you can buy through Matrix and then get a Steam key to use it there if you want.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

You can launch any game on Steam from a desktop shortcut. You can do it even if you are not connected to the internet. Using a game through Steam makes many things easier is all. I really don't get the anti Steam thing at all.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Pax25

Post by Pax25 »

Will those of us who already purchased the game be given a Steam key?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Pax25, I am guessing it will be your original Matrix serial number.

Lobster, it might be a stretch to say "all" Steam games can be played offline. In fact, I have about 550 (unfortunately[;)]) and just tried two randomly and neither worked.

However, I agree: I don't get the "anti-Steam" thing either.

Every Steam game I have works and updates perfectly with the Steam Client. That in itself is a miracle. What I don't like is most games you can't go back to a previous build and that creates havoc with your mod files and others' mods in the Workshop.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I googled and got this:

Is it possible to play Steam games offline?
Offline Mode allows you to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time you wish to play - this is particularly useful if you do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for your single-player games.

I've only rarely done the above, but it works. Having used Steam for about 10 years, never had a problem.

Regarding a Steam key for a game purchased on Slitherine or Matrix, there's a Slitherine webpage for getting the key.

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

Pax25, I am guessing it will be your original Matrix serial number.

Lobster, it might be a stretch to say "all" Steam games can be played offline. In fact, I have about 550 (unfortunately[;)]) and just tried two randomly and neither worked.

However, I agree: I don't get the "anti-Steam" thing either.

Every Steam game I have works and updates perfectly with the Steam Client. That in itself is a miracle. What I don't like is most games you can't go back to a previous build and that creates havoc with your mod files and others' mods in the Workshop.

I had just the opposite experience. I tried two dozen games and they all started in offline mode. As far as previous versions, some games allow you to roll back one version, some don't.

There are those who don't like the idea of protecting games from pirating so for that reason they don't like Steam. One guy even had the audacity to brag about buying games from GOG, copying it and then 'returning' it for a full refund. Gee, I wonder why game developers want to protect their stuff?

I like having my games all in one place. I even put non Steam games into my Steam library so I can start everything from there.

FluffyFoxy

Post by FluffyFoxy »

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

Playing TOAW IV on Android tablet !

My couch time is going to be enhanced with this development [;)]

Wait, what? O_o How do you play Steam games on an Android tablet? That could be useful :)
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Wait, what? O_o How do you play Steam games on an Android tablet? That could be useful :)
There's something called Steamlink that looks like it works. I've used RDP before too.

You may want to look at the TOAW options, setting the menudelay to 0 means the menus don't pop up which can be better for touch some scenarios. Then it's just left click select right click move or attack and go through the attacks and tune them when you're ready.

Ralph
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

Sure you can play the Steam games offline. The games from the Steam library are installed on your computer, so you can just create desktop shortcuts for them. By the way, out of 20 something games that I have on Steam, I have installed on my PC 4 that I actually play right now. When I'm done with them, I will uninstall them and install some new ones from the library. Still all the games are kept in one place and I can install or install them whenever I want with all the updates. How cool is that? Are there really people who have something against Steam? I'm pretty sure, most of them had never tried it.
Lest we forget.
budd

Post by budd »

I'll be installing the Steam version just for grabbing the extra scenarios, that should make it easy for folks to grab them. I think this is the first Slitherine/Matrix game that will use workshop, hope its the start of using workshop more with their games.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: budd

I'll be installing the Steam version just for grabbing the extra scenarios, that should make it easy for folks to grab them. I think this is the first Slitherine/Matrix game that will use workshop, hope its the start of using workshop more with their games.

Aggressors: Ancient Rome uses the Steam Workshop feature very well.

FluffyFoxy

Post by FluffyFoxy »

ORIGINAL: ralphtricky

There's something called Steamlink that looks like it works. I've used RDP before too.

You may want to look at the TOAW options, setting the menudelay to 0 means the menus don't pop up which can be better for touch some scenarios. Then it's just left click select right click move or attack and go through the attacks and tune them when you're ready.

Ralph

Oh, that's brilliant. I installed Steamlink right away [:)] Thanks for the heads-up, Ralph!
On a different note, you wouldn't know when Matrix/Slitherine will provide the Steam keys to existing owners of the game, would you? Will it be on the day of the Steam release?
ORIGINAL: ivanov

Sure you can play the Steam games offline. The games from the Steam library are installed on your computer, so you can just create desktop shortcuts for them. By the way, out of 20 something games that I have on Steam, I have installed on my PC 4 that I actually play right now. When I'm done with them, I will uninstall them and install some new ones from the library. Still all the games are kept in one place and I can install or install them whenever I want with all the updates. How cool is that? Are there really people who have something against Steam? I'm pretty sure, most of them had never tried it.

I totally agree. Steam is by far the most convenient way to handle your games library. And it provides a lot of potential added value to the games if the developers support it in-game, e.g. the Workshop or invitations/challenges of friends to a game.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”