World War 2 week by week

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JamesM

World War 2 week by week

Post by JamesM »

Indy Niedell the same bloke the did the great war week by week (excellent series) has now started a WW2 week by week (started first week of September).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1Aej ... Q/featured
Freyr Oakenshield

RE: World War 2 week by week

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Interesting [:)]
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

ORIGINAL: JamesM

Indy Niedell the same bloke the did the great war week by week (excellent series) has now started a WW2 week by week (started first week of September).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1Aej ... Q/featured

+1 been watching both the great war and the WW2 since sept, very good both series.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
Poopyhead

Post by Poopyhead »

I watched the somewhat disappointing first episode.

When Hitler postponed the original date for the invasion of Poland, one unit did not get the order in time. That unit invaded Poland on the originally planned date to take a vital RR tunnel and were defeated. The Poles had captured German soldiers with their written orders. So the idea that the Nazis invaded Poland with a surprise attack on 1 September may be what we tell school children, but that is simply untrue.

Poland was not able to adequately defend its borders because Hitler had absorbed the non-German remaining part of the Czech state a few months earlier. This allowed the southern Nazi forces access to hundreds of miles of undefended Polish border. Also, Guderian was not the only German whose ancestral Prussian home was inside the new state of Poland. The Treaty of Versailles ended the first world war by planting the seeds of the second.

The Poles had horse cavalry. The Germans had armored units. At some point, for whatever reason, the two met. The Russians used horse cavalry throughout the war. The Germans used horse cavalry too. In the film "12 Strong" about the actual Green Beret A-team that infiltrated Afghanistan after 9/11, a US Captain led a cavalry charge that encountered Taliban T-72s. Acts of desperation in war are not an embarrassment.

After 79 years, I would hope that any discussion of WW2 would involve the actual truth.
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I guess its an overview and at 11 minutes a pop there is only so much detail that can be drawn out. For example there is no explanation of why the Poles were deployed as they were (maybe it will be mentioned in later episodes) but the inference is that this was a mistake.

However the Poles did not have much choice as they could not afford to concede the Western districts straightaway as they were still mobilising in these areas and was where much of the industry was.

The plan was to complete the mobilisation and hold as far forward as possible - by which time the French and British will have attacked from the west to take the pressure off.....well that was the plan anyway....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

If the formats the same as the great war there will be a 10 min(ish) show per week for ever week of the war so details will be light in places and actual, factual, truth is harder to nail down than a blancmange, but if the great war is anything to go by there are lots of one off more in-depth pieces to back up the narrative, also there is a good between the wars section. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar
"Personal isn't the same as important"
comodi

Post by comodi »

Thanks for posting. I really like his series. It's interesting to learn about WW2 history.
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Thanks James M, I'm watching the Great War series at the moment. [:)]
Richard
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: Otto von Blotto

+1 been watching both the great war and the WW2 since sept, very good both series.

I signed up for The Great War in June 1914 - oops! June 2014.
I have seen the waves and the troughs and it has been a roller coaster ride!
To me, The Great War is the most interesting of all wars.
The series has been fabulous!
Kennethnichols

Post by Kennethnichols »

The series is great and very interesting, I am watching it now.
Magbet

Post by Magbet »

But if the great war is anything to go by there?
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Thanks!
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Make your own series, play SC WaW and post an AAR![8D]
SeaMonkey

Return to “General Discussion”