Allies surrendering

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

AstroBlues

Allies surrendering

Post by AstroBlues »

I am playing the Axis in a 3 player game of GD1938. The Russian player went for the Middle East to knock the oil away from Britain. They about succeeded. I, as the Axis, was finishing up my campaign in Poland and started attacking France and Benelux. The Allied player told me, after getting advice from other players, that it was useless in playing with Russia all over the place. I was also told that as Germany I should have invaded Russia instead of France and would have won the game. I thought I was directing Germany in her best interest. Apparently I made a mistake as the Axis. I think it was my fault that the Allied player quit the game as maybe heading into Russia was the right thing to do. This was my first game of ATG. My one question on this is that if Russia can conquer the Mid East and take all the oil from Britain, is this a game breaker?
Twotribes

RE: Allies surrendering

Post by Twotribes »

The allies had options. For one thing if I am not mistaken the Soviets attacking them removes the production block they have? It is hard for the British in the Middle east unless they build up India. I firmly believe there should be some kind of restraint on the Soviets in 38 39 and 40 but blaming you cause they played badly? It wasn't your fault.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

As Britain the first thing you should do is remove the production block on colonies, this costs 150 points. Then you should start upgrading the big cities in India from colonial to regular cities. With in those constraints one should also raise the level of cooperation with allied forces believe that costs 30 or 40 a turn and increases you fighting ability 5 percent a turn. Also you need to invest in recruitment of manpower as you can. Eventually as soon as possible with in these constraints you need to build one or two supply centers in Great Britain as well.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

Germany and the Allies went to war in May of 1938 as I used the Threaten war card on Czechoslovakia and they resisted. The Russian player wanted to ally with the Axis and kept pressuring me to do so. I did not do so and was playing a game with the Russia player in that I was planning to double cross him. The Western Allies wanted an alliance with Germany and I agreed with it and I would invade and conquer France and then head into Russia. My big mistake with Britain was accidently moving a sub unit, as it was heading home, off the western coast of England and it sunk a large group of infantry heading toward the mid east. Sad to see the game end.

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

The allies had options. For one thing if I am not mistaken the Soviets attacking them removes the production block they have? It is hard for the British in the Middle east unless they build up India. I firmly believe there should be some kind of restraint on the Soviets in 38 39 and 40 but blaming you cause they played badly? It wasn't your fault.

Nope, no the production block is not lifted if they are at war with an allied country.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I firmly believe there should be some kind of restraint on the Soviets in 38 39 and 40

Have you seen how the early soviet aggression is working in the game you were so worried about? I can tell you it is going badly, for the Soviets, in case you hadn't noticed.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

It wasn't your fault.

I agree with this.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: AstroBlues
Germany and the Allies went to war in May of 1938 as I used the Threaten war card on Czechoslovakia and they resisted. The Russian player wanted to ally with the Axis and kept pressuring me to do so. I did not do so and was playing a game with the Russia player in that I was planning to double cross him. The Western Allies wanted an alliance with Germany and I agreed with it and I would invade and conquer France and then head into Russia. My big mistake with Britain was accidently moving a sub unit, as it was heading home, off the western coast of England and it sunk a large group of infantry heading toward the mid east. Sad to see the game end.

Again this is not your fault. He should have been more careful.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Just my two cents:

Chuck is very good and he played the Soviet aggression. As Axis, I was very worried. But now, well into it, Axis is so darn tough early and a Soviet army is so weak that Germany can strike out in both directions very effectively. Also, Japan can be a huge thorn in the east for the Soviets. A Soviet player can do much harm to the cause of himself and allies by being too aggressive early. Soviets and allies must work together and then, like the real WW2, both must attack from two front and race to be the winner in the end game. France is just a speed bump. The longer it takes the better. Also, a Soviet player that's too aggressive starts the clock for war early and that gives Germany more time. Now, the Axis player must be careful... it's no cake walk. But from my perspective, I was once quite dim on my chances, but now I feel pretty good. Timing is key. Germany can be patient, but if the allies get Belgium it will be tough. Overall though, early Soviets aggression cripples the Allies and commies and brings two nooses. Germany must be aggressive, but the time for that aggression depends on the moves of the players. I see if anything that Axis has the advantage if anyone does.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

I was also told that as Germany I should have invaded Russia instead of France and would have won the game.

You would have still needed to knock out France. If you set it up right, you could have taken both at once. Problem is the Soviets are so behind in tech and production, if they need to start using PP for forces and chit creation, they will not be able to build their production. Germany on the other hand has it all. With in 6-8 months into 38 (edit) you can have max combat eff and production increase. Soviet armies have such a difference in combat eff. with Germany they get slaughtered. Germany just needs to be very efficient with their PP use. Condensing units and disbanding chits for PP is very helpful and allows for a cleaner look. Make sure that in yotanksur production you dont' waste. If you build 5.2 tanks kee make sure you keep producing till you have close to zero as you can. all these fraction of production here and there accumulates. An efficient Germany is a winning Germany. In my opinion, the Allied player had plenty of rope left to win and should have hung tough... so many valuable lessons could have been learned. As I said in an earlier post.... if any nation has the advantage it's Axis... only time changes this.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

If you get me the PW I can continue to be the Allies... at a slower pace.
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

Let me check with the Russian player.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Okay... in the above it should have read you can have max combat % and potent attack force by mid 38...
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Maybe ask the allied player if he wants to work with me to turn it around? ... Still a lot of fun left to be had.
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

The game is gonna continue. Yes! The Allied player sent you an e-mail asking if you want to take over Britain.
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

Yeah, we spoke... I'll do whatever. I think he might just take the whole shabang...

Return to “After Action Reports”