World of Tanks / World of Warships / World of Warplanes

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Freyr Oakenshield

World of Tanks / World of Warships / World of Warplanes

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Do you play any of these games? What do you think about them?

Would you call them wargames?
GrizzlyKt

RE: World of Tanks / World of Warships / World of Warplanes

Post by GrizzlyKt »

hi total rubbish to me these are pay to win games ive played them a few times and did not get on with them maybe its just me lol
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

I play World of Warships. Matches vary, some are great fun, others disastrous - much depends upon the standard of your randomly selected team mates. Forming a division of a few guild mates can help.

I would call it a war game, with some simplifications and modifications to improve the fun involved. Expect to hit 20-30% of the time, travel distances beyond the ships top speed etc. Unrealistic but it helps with the fun.

I have never paid anything; spending money on better ships just results in you playing against more skilful opposition, not having more fun.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

I've played WoWS; however, I mainly focus on WoT. I find this game highly addictive - in the negative sense of the word. It can be a huge time waster and it can cause a lot of frustration... Once, you've got hooked on it, it's hard to break the habit...
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Played WoWs over 3,000 times so far. If you're looking for historical accuracy, you'll be disappointed. And no, paying for better ships does *not* just result in more skilled opponents. I own some of the premium ships, still end up as top tier, middle tier, or bottom tier. It isn't a "pay to win" game either. You start at Tier 1, and can grind your way up to Tier 10 without spending a dime.

If you have 20 minutes to kill, go for it. Get sunk, you can watch, or go back to port and select another ship and fight a different battle.

Attachments
shot-18.09...16-0234.jpg
shot-18.09...16-0234.jpg (548.55 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Played Armored Warfare alot in the past, Got up to Tier 10, never spent any money though. It´s fun, but you do have to grind alot if you want to go up in Tier, or "want" that tank. Wargame, I would say no, shooter yes.
JoV

Post by JoV »

They are...ok. Good for a bit of fun, but all (well, I've not played Warplanes) held back by a few glaring issues, in particular vastly over complicated and opaque game mechanics. Playing Warships for any length of time reveals a pretty clear distinction between those who are just playing for the fun of it and those who are a bit more invested and therefore more desperate to win. The end result is not a very good mix and tends to results in lots of abuse in chat (esp in WoT).

Wargaming do very little to educate their player base on how deeper mechanics work, leaving it up to players to read forums/watch youtube etc to learn about damage saturation, armor penetration etc., and even very basic stuff like map control/positioning etc is covered very poorly. The end result is, imo, frustratingly uneven gameplay. You can usually tell how a game will turn out in the first few minutes simply based on the positions your battleships occupy...

Collabarative game modes, like Operations in Warships, are better, but even then not without their issues (once you are familiar with an operation it usually devolves into mad rushes to grab as much damage, and therefore xp, as possible).

Ultimately I think the games are really good fun in short doses, but the free to play model means the seemingly constant need to crowbar more 'stuff' into the game to attract new players (Warships will be getting submarines soon enough) means Wargaming have never really gone back and addressed some of the glaring issues that have emerged in the games as they have evolved over time. As a result, I am just burnt out on them tbh.

tl,dr; fun in short bursts, but increasingly frustrating the more you play, and in desperate need of good tutorials
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I tried WOT for a bit, but never really got into it.

I've been a regular in WOWS for 3+ years. Yeah, there's some drek players out there, but-like in life-you can't let a few duds ruin the experience for you. It tends to even out in the long run in my experience (4000+ games-Aurelian is a noob [:'(]).

Others are right in that you don't *have* to pay to play/win. In the Tier X ships it's prohibitively 'expensive' to play without 'premium' membership, which defrays the in-game costs involved. Ultimately that's pretty cheap, about $10/month.

For an immersive and realistic strategic naval wargame, War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition is without peer. But for a 'beer and pretzels' shoot 'em up, WOWS is good fun.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I've been a regular in WOWS for 3+ years. Yeah, there's some drek players out there, but-like in life-you can't let a few duds ruin the experience for you. It tends to even out in the long run in my experience (4000+ games-Aurelian is a noob [:'(]).

Others are right in that you don't *have* to pay to play/win. In the Tier X ships it's prohibitively 'expensive' to play without 'premium' membership, which defrays the in-game costs involved. Ultimately that's pretty cheap, about $10/month.

For an immersive and realistic strategic naval wargame, War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition is without peer. But for a 'beer and pretzels' shoot 'em up, WOWS is good fun.

Ah, but I've been playing less than a year :) I haven't paid for premium time yet, but have to convert XP into free XP, more credits, and some of the premium ships. Just recently got the British DDs Acasta and Icarus for free. And my favorite ship is the Bismarck. (Borg)Castiel4760.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Ah, but I've been playing less than a year :) I haven't paid for premium time yet, but have to convert XP into free XP, more credits, and some of the premium ships. Just recently got the British DDs Acasta and Icarus for free. And my favorite ship is the Bismarck. (Borg)Castiel4760.
3000 games in less than a year? Get a life! [:'(]

Gearing and Shimikaze are my go-to favorites. But as Tier X ships, they are 'expensive' to play. For the lower tier ships ( like you noob players like [:'(]) I'm a big fan of the Pan-Asian destroyers. I can make the Tier IV and V ones walk and talk .

ETA: What's your username, Aurelian? Might be fun to division up with you. If you're interested in a clan, there's a really good one that I'm involved with as well.

ETA II: I occasionally see Captain Harlock on WOWS. He's acknowledged my presence, but that's about it. I think my reputation may precede me. [:D]
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I checked ut the vids of WOW on youtube and loved them. Reminded me of the old TF 1942 by Microprose (IIRC)...Loved being on he bridge of the ships and watching islands pass by along with really nice graphics...Much nicer graphics than Fighting Steel but TF 1942 had a very clunky interface which was never addressed.
I demand as much historical correctness as possible in simulations ref speed, damages, etc, and "going to sea" with folks even worse than me at being a "swabbie" does not sound appealing.
All solo for this old mam, lol

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Gearing and Shimikaze are my go-to favorites. But as Tier X ships, they are 'expensive' to play. For the lower tier ships ( like you noob players like [:'(]) I'm a big fan of the Pan-Asian destroyers. I can make the Tier IV and V ones walk and talk .

ETA: What's your username, Aurelian? Might be fun to division up with you. If you're interested in a clan, there's a really good one that I'm involved with as well.

ETA II: I occasionally see Captain Harlock on WOWS. He's acknowledged my presence, but that's about it. I think my reputation may precede me. [:D]

Borg clan. Castiel4760.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I would like to see the "Silent Hunter II" and "Destroyer Command" tandem revive in some way. I use to play DC against a friend of mine with SH2 via multiplayer back then. Although at the time the MP side had some bugs (I guess due to the low band 56k connections we had back then), but it was quite inovating and fun, when it worked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_draMRnsg

Red
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Borg clan. Castiel4760.

YETI clan here. Chickenboy.. of course. [8D]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Borg clan. Castiel4760.

I'll keep an eye out.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Borg clan. Castiel4760.

I'll keep an eye out.

Since we're talking nautical, shouldn't you be keeping an 'aye' out? [snork!]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I'll keep an eye out.

Since we're talking nautical, shouldn't you be keeping an 'aye' out? [snork!]

Aye.. :)
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I've played World of Tanks for a pretty good while. I'm not really playing steadily now. I have over 10K battles, which seems like a lot to me until I saw people with 50K battles.

I did spend a little money early on. I bought a premium tank the Chinese T51 or whatever it is called, no longer available. It used to own but it was "adjusted" down in strength. Doesn't do as well, but its pretty neat to bring one out because many have never seen one.

It's fun, but can be frustrating as well, when things aren't going your way. I have played up to 10 battles in a row, and got on a roll with wins. That is fun, or if you do really well. I had one game where I took a tier 5 (they go up to 10) and in a 15 v 15 battle killed about 12. MOSTLY luck and not doing stupid things. People just kept riding ride into my sights and I kept killing them. Almost ran out of ammo before I got the final one and we won the battle.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

ETA II: I occasionally see Captain Harlock on WOWS. He's acknowledged my presence, but that's about it. I think my reputation may precede me.

That's a different Captain Harlock. I've watched WOWS replays on YouTube, but I'm put off by destroyers having the ability to launch infinite salvoes of torpedoes and disappear at less than 10,000 yards. [8|]
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
ETA II: I occasionally see Captain Harlock on WOWS. He's acknowledged my presence, but that's about it. I think my reputation may precede me.

That's a different Captain Harlock. I've watched WOWS replays on YouTube, but I'm put off by destroyers having the ability to launch infinite salvoes of torpedoes and disappear at less than 10,000 yards. [8|]

Oh, for realism it's got some very large holes in it that you just have to accept. Infinite HE / AP for BBs, CAs, DDs; exquisitely rapid deck-clearing alpha strikes generated in 45 seconds; infinite torpedoes (albeit on a timer, so not really infinite); inability to find ships in smoke at very close ranges; perfect 'data sharing' for ships with radar (allowing all other ships to target radar-spotted ships); silly shell dispersions at lower tiers; etc., etc.

But it's fun to mix it up in a FPS version of a game, but with ships.

Return to “General Discussion”