Any books on the subject that you can recommend?

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
Ichili

Any books on the subject that you can recommend?

Post by Ichili »

I am looking for a more or less comprehensive or at least deep enough book of the campaign.
jbmoore68

RE: Any books on the subject that you can recommend?

Post by jbmoore68 »

Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi, there's a reading list at the end of the manual:

Alan Moorehead: The Desert War: The classic trilogy on the North African campaign 1940-1943

Barrie Pitt:
- The Crucible of War: Wavell's Command: The Definitive History of the Desert War -
Volume 1
- The Crucible of War: Auchinleck's Command: The Definitive History of the Desert War -
Volume 2
- The Crucible of War: Montgomery and Alamein

Christopher Shores, Giovanni Massimello, Russell Guest:
- A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945, Vol. 1: North Africa, June 1940-
January 1942
- A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945, Vol. 2: North African Desert,
February 1942 - March 1943

I must say I also enjoyed "The desert generals" by Correlli Barnett, though it's a product of its time (1960) and Monty gets a real pasting in it.
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

I read the Barrie Pitt trilogy when I was a teenager. They are very good. I seem to remember him favouring Auchinleck over Monty but my memory may be wrong.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

The Western Desert Campaign by Glenn Wahlert. I thought this e-book was an excellent study of the early part of the Desert War.
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Ichili

Post by Ichili »

Thank you guys, great help.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

A short but comprehensive read:

Rommel's North Africa Campaign (Great Campaigns):

https://www.amazon.com/Rommels-North-Af ... rth+africa
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

A lot of very fine books recommended, none of which I would quibble with. However, for the best of best I would go for Together We Stand by James Holland. Deals with ’42 – ’43 but James Holland is just that little bit better a writer than the rest. A Max Hastings with a novelist’s writing skill when needed. Not that there is anything wrong with Max Hastings’ writing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Together-We-St ... dpSrc=srch

All the best,
Kip.

HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

The Trail of the Fox-David Irving. Best Rommel Bio from a controversal Author.
Fighting the Desert Fox-John Delaney. Favorite in my library, easy to read, great critique from all sides.

Heia Safari
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

Am transferring an earlier post on the Mod forum to this, the appropriate book forum. Excellent recommendations above, I will check them out.

Admiral3-

Thank You for your reply and recommendation, I will purchase Desert War!

Edit: Just purchased and downloaded. Gents - I know that Desert War is a good game; Admiral3's recommendation, from his perspective as a professional military Man, was the final touch.

Admiral3, after 10 years of service in the USN, and another 10.5 in the USMC, I also am fortunate to have collected books over the years and blessed to have a small library.
Your reference to your library caused me to think of books that I have on Italy's involvement in World Wars one and two. Here are several books, that I can immediately recall:

> "Submarines of World War two;" Eminio Bagnasco. An excellent reference on the various navy's submarine classes and design.

> "Mussolini and His Generals;" John Gooch. I have not yet read this one.

> "A Soldier of the Southern Front;" Emilio Lussu, Kindle. His experiences on the Isonzo front, WW1; considered a classic. Admiral3, I would be interested in your thoughts, if you have read this book.

> "British Battle Tanks: World War 1 to 1939;" David Fletcher, Kindle. Absolutely outstanding and very detailed; if you want to know how tank design first started and it's evolution because of combat experience, this is the book to read.

> "British Battle Tanks: British - made tanks of World War II;" David Fletcher, Kindle. This is next on my read list and very germane to Desert War.

> "The Great War: A Combat History of the First World War;" Peter Hart, Kindle. Just finished reading; an excellent, thorough and very readable treatment of combat in the major theaters of the war. Admiral3- Mr. Hart covers, in detail, Italy's political struggle as to which course to take; and side to join.

> "Pandora's Box;" Leonhard Jorn, Kindle. Released in 2018, this is a German Historian's perspective on the First World War. I read it along with Peter Hart's "The First World War;" Mr. Leonhard covers a wider view - military operations plus the political, social, economic factors and their effects on each of the combatants.

> "The Desert Generals;" Correlli Barnett. "A brilliant picture of the leading personalities in the North African campaign from start to finish, and of their performance - vividly written and intensely interesting." Liddell Hart. End Quote. I would highly recommend this book, it delivers as stated. I have an original 1960 (very battered!) paperback copy; just bought and downloaded from Kindle.

I have numerous books on tank design and operations. I am currently focused on World War One.

> When I had to take a brief break from the First World War: "Afgansty: The Russians in Afghanistan 1979- 89;" Rodric Braithwaite, Kindle. A very scholarly treatment of the subject; Mr. Braithwaite covers all aspects of the war, including combat, social and political effects.

Gents - I do not mean to hijack this thread, and will start a new thread in this forum if appropriate.

Thank You all for you patience and consideration.

Should any Forum Members have any reading recommendations, please let me know.

Edit: Mr. Kelly, I just read your very informative "Interview with the Dev's" post and am not surprised to see that you have read "Desert Generals." There is absolutely no doubt that you and your Team have done your research; I will learn much from the game and data included. My respect to you and your Team, Sir.

Mac

LAV-25 2147
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Hi kipanderson -

Together We Stand does not seem to be available in a Kindle format in the USA; I will eventually order a hard copy. Am not sure if I can create a UK account to have access to the Kindle version.

Thank You for your recommendation.

I am very aware that there are members of this forum who have read more and have a far greater knowledge than I, of the Desert War in particular, and The Second World War in general. I am grateful and sincerely humbled by this opportunity to learn and gain a better understand of this subject.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Available for free, or very cheap via kindle:
The complete official histories of Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain. Partial history of the Indian Army also online.

They are what they are, the Australian history does a good job of placing the Desert War in the context of the bigger war.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Hi JeffroK -

Thank You for the recommendation. I apologize for the delay in responding, I have been away from the computer for a while.

Will take a look, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Ooops - a double post!
LAV-25 2147
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Mediterranean and Middle East, Volume 1: The Early Successes Against Italy, to May 1941, Playfair, I.S.O., et al.

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”