Slightly OT : First Naval War game on computer you played...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Apollo11

RE: Slightly OT : First Naval War game on computer you played...

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

I got "Silent Service" from Microprose for my C64 when I was in USA in 1986! [:)]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Se ... ideo_game)

I also played "Battle for Midway" on my friend's Amstrad CPC at the same time (I don't think it was available for C64 - only for Sinclair ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC)

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0000453

Leo "Apolo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

ORIGINAL: Mikawa

Gary Grigsby’s Guadalcanal on apple I pc. 64k powerhouse.

Epic surface battles would flash descriptions on the screen

My friends and I played so much we wore out the 5” floppy disk and crashed our High school grades.

Fun times.

Yep. Who can forget...

****Torpedo Hits WASP****

Flashing.

from the Battlecruiser...

CL Edinburgh hit by 11 inch AP
****penetration****
****magazine explodes****
CL Edinburgh sinks

Oh the agony of the slowly appearing messages as you realize Germans sunk yet another another screening CL....
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

I also played "Battle for Midway" on my friend's Amstrad CPC at the same time (I don't think it was available for C64 - only for Sinclair ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC)

CPC was a dog for lack of strategy games...None of the US games appeared on that.. and for that reason I exchanged it. Exactly 2 days after I saw Kampfgruppe and that was the final drop...
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I think North Atlantic 1986.

Bill Goin
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

TF 1942, and IMHO it beat the GNB series hands down...I owned and played them all.

The TF 1942 had a clunky interface which was ever addressed at a time when games were falling out of the door faster than consumers could keep up.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Kampfgruppe

Another oldy, but goody. Played it to death, unfortunately at a time where I could find no 'live bait'.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

BTW, my never realized dream was "Sinclair QL"... after using Sinclair "ZX Spectrum" I got C64 because I was unable to get "Sinclair QL"... with Motorola 68000 and MicroDrive it was great machine... [:(]

The game that prompted me to want "Sinclair QL" was strategic game that I can't remember the name right now... it was the most sophisticated strategic game of its time (I think Normandy invasion)!

At the end, after Commodore C64, I got "Atari ST" with Motorola 68000 after all (my uncle had Macintosh with Motorola 68000 as well)... ahh... those were the times... [:D]

Leo "Apolo11"

oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Hi all,

BTW, my never realized dream was "Sinclair QL"... after using Sinclair "ZX Spectrum" I got C64 because I was unable to get "Sinclair QL"... with Motorola 68000 and MicroDrive it was great machine... [:(]

The game that prompted me to want "Sinclair QL" was strategic game that I can't remember the name right now... it was the most sophisticated strategic game of its time (I think Normandy invasion)!

At the end, after Commodore C64, I got "Atari ST" with Motorola 68000 after all (my uncle had Macintosh with Motorola 68000 as well)... ahh... those were the times... [:D]

Leo "Apolo11"

D-Day for Sinclair QL ! I knew it was not a mirage. I glimpsed at it at some time in Ankara but since well QL was a computer only for the mega-millioners never had it. But the game and its sophistication burned my retina but since I never heard about it again I sometimes thought if it really existed in my imagination.

I used to play Vulcan, Desert Rats and Arnhem ( units coming by air !!! ) on a friend's Speccy. C64 games were fine but IMHO those are the best adaptations into 8 bit world.

My CPC was replaced by the C64 which gave way to an Amiga and then it was an Intel device , then I kept walking on those boring wintel machines.

Yes , I am proud to have lived and gamed ( wargames mostly ) in the dawn of personal computing in 80's.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Leo "Apolo11"

Tried sending u a PM but your mbox was full ... check this out for the full list of QL Well here is the list...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... L_software

So many wargames .... never knew they existed

There is even a War in the East ...
Big B

Post by Big B »

Avalon Hill's Midway Campaign 1983

Attachments
midway.jpg
midway.jpg (210.12 KiB) Viewed 59 times
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Oh, yes!Tape drives!....Whirring away while loading on an Atari 800...and then too often a blue screen crash! lol

AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Old Ironsides for the Apple 2e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MitYeIBRy8Y
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

Microprose's Red Storm Rising on the Amiga 500, with the 512k RAM "upgrade".
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

D-Day for Sinclair QL ! I knew it was not a mirage. I glimpsed at it at some time in Ankara but since well QL was a computer only for the mega-millioners never had it. But the game and its sophistication burned my retina but since I never heard about it again I sometimes thought if it really existed in my imagination.

I used to play Vulcan, Desert Rats and Arnhem ( units coming by air !!! ) on a friend's Speccy. C64 games were fine but IMHO those are the best adaptations into 8 bit world.

My CPC was replaced by the C64 which gave way to an Amiga and then it was an Intel device , then I kept walking on those boring wintel machines.

Yes , I am proud to have lived and gamed ( wargames mostly ) in the dawn of personal computing in 80's.

Thank you - "D-Day" (I couldn't remember the name)! [:)][&o]

Leo "Apolo11"

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

The earliest Naval Wargame I can remember playing on a computer was Silent Service on my Atari 800 computer, upgraded to 48k of RAM. [X(]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

The earliest Naval Wargame I can remember playing on a computer was Silent Service on my Atari 800 computer, upgraded to 48k of RAM. [X(]
I still have my 800, and it works.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”