Q re invasions

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Siddham

Q re invasions

Post by Siddham »

A simple question...
Can my troops invade a planet I dont have the tech to colonize
Or can they only invade planets I have colonization tech for?

Thanks
Bingeling

RE: Q re invasions

Post by Bingeling »

They can invade any planet, regardless of type and colonization tech. And a colony who's main population is not of your race (and large enough to build colony ships), can build ships and colonize worlds of the native type of that population.

Then you need to consider if you want the minor races to spread out, of course.
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

Thanks Bingeling

They are Boskarans so I dont think I want them in my human empire
I tried assimilating Boskarans on a desert colony and they caused a lot of trouble - rebelling in spite of 0 taxes etc
So, sorry guys no can do!

In my just started game (you could say my first since I've only dabbled up to this) I have a Boskara empire as an immediate neighbour to the east
I just know they will attack as soon as they are ready. They reject all offers of trade etc and have imposed sanctions already so I'm expecting war soon.
An independent planet of Boskara to the immediate south decided to become an empire so I think I have to root them out before they become a serious threat.
That's the planet I was asking about.

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

When it comes to making trouble, from the colony screen you can get all the modifiers to happiness and see why they are so unhappy. The same in diplomacy (although that is a bit more clouded). Recent combat is one such unhappiness modifier, not enjoying your race and style of government are others that can be harder to handle.
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

When it comes to making trouble, from the colony screen you can get all the modifiers to happiness and see why they are so unhappy

After conquest, the modifier to look for is the one in red print. "We are angry at the recent conquest of our colony [n]". The modifier [n] will reduce gradually over time, but for an insectoid colony it starts off very much higher than normal.

If you invade with a large enough surplus of troops to form a garrison sufficiently sizeable to put down the entire series of revolts that will follow, absorbing the inevitable losses involved, then that modifier will eventually decrease to the point where colony's overall happiness level is sufficient for there to be no more revolts, even for insectoids.
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

Yes the Boskara dont like humans or Republics
But from what stuart3 is saying it seems they will settle down and integrate over time...good to know that
I presume there are benefits of putting up with them such as Boskara troops etc?
Can you rely on those troops in wars; for instance if you are at war with Boskara or another insect race?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The troops are no issue, but "at war with own species" can be a very high unhappiness modifiers to a colony (I think it varies by the race), which may make certain races prone to revolting in those cases. That is, the colony may revolt, it may defect, but your troops will not be affected unless fighting rebellers.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: Siddham

Yes the Boskara dont like humans or Republics
But from what stuart3 is saying it seems they will settle down and integrate over time...good to know that
I presume there are benefits of putting up with them such as Boskara troops etc?
Can you rely on those troops in wars; for instance if you are at war with Boskara or another insect race?

you can rely on Boskara troops in case of citizens revolt on a planet with Boskara citizens.

however I do not know if you can rely on them also in case of a war with an insectoid race, still never happened in my games.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Troops are 100% loyal.
Siddham

Post by Siddham »

Thank you guys
Have another question today so I'll make another thread

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”