Nine years and going strong

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

m10bob

RE: Nine years and going strong

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: RevRick

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

I played "Wooden Ships" and Iron Men so much that, with my friends, we devised a full set of house rules to play it together with "Richtofen War" - the WWI biplane simulator. It is incredible to see how our "steampunk" approach worked so well: the two set of rules melded almost perfectly. The Spanish flagship "Santissima Trinidad" was a powerhouse, with her four squadrons of planes of various kind. Those were really the days! [:D]

Yep! Been there! Done that - at least in a wet navy.

Friend of mine and I played WSIM so much that we cobbled together sheets for the Santisima Trinidad, USN 74's, and a notional USN 120 (Basically taking a United States Class, adding a deck, with 2 decks of 42 lbers, one deck of 32 lb guns, and a deck of 32 lb carronades on the main deck. We did not take into account the actual naval construction of the beast (I speculated that it would probably have four masts) and tried to add enough squares in the WSIM hit charts to make it work. We even figured out that the beast would probably end in a tie with the Monitor - because the crew of the monitor would be deaf as posts about a half an hour into the battle.

RevRick!!!...Gadzooks!...Speaking of "old timers"!

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

But in actuality my wargaming days started with Milton Bradley games my dad got me for Christmas as a kid such as Hit the Beach.

Vas es das? [&:]

This:

Attachments
HittheBeach.jpg
HittheBeach.jpg (12.61 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

And another Milton Bradley classic I played as a boy:

Attachments
Broadsides.jpg
Broadsides.jpg (48.25 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Hans

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

But in actuality my wargaming days started with Milton Bradley games my dad got me for Christmas as a kid such as Hit the Beach.

This:

Ah, memory lane.[8D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

And another Milton Bradley classic I played as a boy:

I loved this game too !
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Great game. Great community.

Back in '02, I was looking for something better than Fighting Flattops (a computer game that's still out there - do a Google search). I found UV and started playing. My opponents included Admiral Dadman, Miller, and John III, each of whom is still active. I bought WitP when it came out in '05, but it was "too big" - would take too much time. John III and I were involved in a UV match - he switched to WitP and left me standing at the alter, lamenting his departure. I eventually got involved in WitP around '07 and played several matches. John III kicked my butt early in one game but I got him by the short hairs in a December '43 invasion of Hokkaido that turned epic. I also played an epic match or two against Miller that included an invasion of the Kuriles in which Allied PT boats sank the four Kongos in one or two days (if my memory is accurate).

I finally ceased playing WitP, taking a sabbatical to concentrate on work. I ended the sabbatical when AE came out, starting with a match called "Shattered Vow" against Miller. Since then, I've played Q-Ball, Chez-da-Jez, Panzerjager Hortlund, John III and now Obvert.

I've been lucky to find such fun opponents - nice men all.

I used to say, "I can play this game for decades without tiring of it." How right I was. I still feel like I've got decades ahead, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

What this good man and friend said...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

There should be a book, "Everything I need to know about life I learned playing WitP:AE".

Or, "The Zen of WitP:AE".
T Rav

quite a coincidenceRE: Nine years and going strong

Post by T Rav »

Hans - I played Hit the Beach while growing up in St Petersburg. That's quite a coincidence!

T Rav

stuman

Post by stuman »

This:

This was my first game as well !
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

"Everything I need to know about life I learned playing WitP:AE".

[8D]

Feel free to add / correct / amend as you see fit.

1. Strategy eventually loses to logistics – period

2. Quantity is quality – if the quantity is large enough

3. Strategy only works if logistics support it; and any good strategy must have allowances for unexpected results and logistics to absorb unexpected results.

4. Don’t keep repeating the same mistake again and again. If your strategy didn’t work the first time, change strategy

5. If you are going to participate/provoke a fight – bring enough to win

6. Shock(ing) attacks only work if the odds are (3:1 or better) in your favor – so you better be damn confident you did the math right before you shock attack.

7. It’s not enough to simply win the fight – you need to support the victory with long enduring support (and supply); otherwise your victory is hollow

8. No asset is worthless. Any asset can be used as improvisation to hold the line. Those who abandon / dismiss assets as inadequate to the challenge – will lose the challenge no matter what assets they have
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Was playing Combat Mission one day in 2013 and I felt I need to see some sea this summer holiday. Then searched for the old Gary Grigsby games ...ran into this one. Rest is history...

I get the shakes when i dont play a turn any day.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I get the shakes when i dont play a turn any day.

Well maybe every two days.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

ORIGINAL: Zorch

"Everything I need to know about life I learned playing WitP:AE".

[8D]

Feel free to add / correct / amend as you see fit.

1. Strategy eventually loses to logistics – period

2. Quantity is quality – if the quantity is large enough

3. Strategy only works if logistics support it; and any good strategy must have allowances for unexpected results and logistics to absorb unexpected results.

4. Don’t keep repeating the same mistake again and again. If your strategy didn’t work the first time, change strategy

5. If you are going to participate/provoke a fight – bring enough to win

6. Shock(ing) attacks only work if the odds are (3:1 or better) in your favor – so you better be damn confident you did the math right before you shock attack.

7. It’s not enough to simply win the fight – you need to support the victory with long enduring support (and supply); otherwise your victory is hollow

8. No asset is worthless. Any asset can be used as improvisation to hold the line. Those who abandon / dismiss assets as inadequate to the challenge – will lose the challenge no matter what assets they have

9. .50 cals are better than 20mms.

10. The Bismarck was scuttled not sunk.

11. A variety of things learned on Mandrake and Sprior's aars regarding certain parts of Singapore, the tyranny of HoAs, and other items best not spoken of.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

[/quote]
Yes and no. Ludovic Kennedy (who was there) had the best take on it - Bismarck was heavily afire inside and out and the crew were abandoning her. She was going to sink; the scuttling by the German crew just hastened the inevitable.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Sorry, 9 and 10 were meant sarcastically. It may have been UV or original WitP when these were heatedly (and pointlessly) debated.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Sorry, 9 and 10 were meant sarcastically. It may have been UV or original WitP when these were heatedly (and pointlessly) debated.

Ah yes! [8D] Also, "Zero vs. Wildcat", "Sherman vs. Tiger" and this-that-and-the-other system being 'borked'. Good times.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Yes and no. Ludovic Kennedy (who was there) had the best take on it - Bismarck was heavily afire inside and out and the crew were abandoning her. She was going to sink; the scuttling by the German crew just hastened the inevitable.
Would it be correct to say that Bismarck was both scuttled and sunk?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Ah yes! [8D] Also, "Zero vs. Wildcat", "Sherman vs. Tiger" and this-that-and-the-other system being 'borked'. Good times.

How could I forget Zero vs. Wildcat? Good times indeed.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Orm
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Would it be correct to say that Bismarck was both scuttled and sunk?

Well, if you're following the 'scuttled' camp, then you'd have to argue that [I'm not making this up] since the ship was ultimately scuttled, the British Royal Navy deserves no credit for the ultimate demise of the ship. I guess rendering an enemy combatant hors de combat means that one should hang their head in shame for an 'incomplete job'. [8|]
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Got the first WitP sometime last year, mess with it. Look like it need to work done though. AE isn't bad, but just too much macromanagement going on.

Going to try to mod WitP and see if I can get it setup right. At the meantime would like to see War in the Pacific II someday [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”