Distant Worlds 2 News?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Thrake

RE: Distant Worlds 2 News?

Post by Thrake »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Wish I could share more, but we are still hard at work every day on DW2 getting it ready for testing. Good things come to those who wait. [8D]

https://youtu.be/dfe8tCcHnKY

What does Zarathustra have to do with Boskaran expansionism? [&:]

Edit:
Oh, nevermind, the missing link is clearly ancient Iranien aliens. Obviously this is a hint that DW2 will feature Giorgio Tsoukalos!
Data

Post by Data »

[/quote]

I like the idea of planet building. Research the first rocket and so forth....GP
[/quote]

I also loved the pre-warp start in MOO2 but anything more involved than that would land us in Cracktorio and we all know how that goes....and goes...and goes....
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
sinbuster

Post by sinbuster »

Wow, I can't believe how many years it's been watching this thread. Cue Tom Petty:The waiting is the hardest part...

Hey Data, great to see you're still here (suffering with the rest of us [:D]). You've been a great DW resource. Much appreciated.
Data

Post by Data »

Glad to help and don't call it suffering. Like Erik said, good things come to those who can hold it [:D]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
sinbuster

Post by sinbuster »

Haha, yeah, it's really not that bad. I'm no stranger to long waits. I've waited years for all sorts of games, in some cases decades (Warhammer, Battletech). The JTCS from Matrix Games was one of my favourites and East Front 2 has been a long time coming. Then there's the remaster of the Bard's Tale Trilogy which is about 30 years overdue.

That said, none of those games can scratch my space 4x itch. Despite all it's flaws, DW is the pinnacle of the genre and I can't blame anyone for getting a little ancy.
U235

Post by U235 »

As long as the wait isn't like the MOO 3 fiasco. Talk about a grown man crying. In fairness Quicksilver never had the passion of the original developer Simtex. Glad Erik is continuing with DW2.
Clux

Post by Clux »

I have been wishing the next part since I began to play at 2015, and I had hope than the game would come out this year, but now my bet is late 2019 or 2020.

So I checkout this post from time to time, but I watched "Heroic Age" this summer and I couldn't imagine how cool and how much I want the next game :(

PS: The battle OST from the anime is awesome for playing DW:U
Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics!
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Another year and another check of the forum.

I do worry the lack of news will hinder in the long run, building a little anticipation with a few snippets of info wouldn't hurt. [&o]
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
styopa

Post by styopa »

FWIW, at least he's still posting?

I have to admit, I despise the pay-to-get-into-beta thing that's become usual in the MMO market, but I have to say I'd do it here - I'm happy to pre-buy the game at full retail to help with testing. :)

I'm going to also guess I'm not the only one.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Considering how much I loved the original, sure I'd buy DW2 based on that (blind) and offer alpha/beta feedback.
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

add my name to the above DW2 "blind-buyers" list.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Dunno if I could go blind on buying it. DW didn't start out as the game we know today and it took many years of updates and expansions to get there. Not saying dw2 will be bad in the end but in the beginning it might have some teething issues since it is a very small production of a very large game. I have faith the dev(s) will get it right though. [8D]
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I couldn't wait for MOO3 either and I wish I would've waited on that.
Data

Post by Data »

Let's not go there, MOO3 was one of a kind...fortunately.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

The game is coming together, but there is always a lot more to do. We are still working daily on development, art, design and data together with our artists and supertesters and the trials and tribulations of life occasionally knock us for a loop, but forward progress this year has been truly excellent. I have learned not to give estimates, but I am happy with the team we have and the progress we are making. We have been staying close to the latest milestone schedule we set for ourselves earlier this year and I expect wider testing will begin in the coming months. When we have more complete art in the game and we've made it through the first wave of testing, I expect we'll have a lot more to share with you all.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Encouraging news. Thanks, Erik! [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Waiting patiently. [8D]
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

I'm encouraged, I think. [:'(]
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Thanks Erik! Even that little snippet of info is appreciated! [8D]
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Erik Rutins,
Thanks for update. I hope DW2 will be easily adaptable for the current sets of mods without too much work for the modders. I sure would love to see an "all" button as in "Retrofit All" for things like resource stations that aren't part of a fleet. Hopefully it would be capable of stopping when it runs a player out of money. Also would like to see AI actually do retrofitting far better than currently, that would help make them a more challenging. I remember Worm Holes were a lot of fun in an old space game, enter in one part of the galaxy and end up coming out into some far away sector, if the ship comes back out of an unstable one.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”