Cannot Install Patch

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
76mm

Cannot Install Patch

Post by 76mm »

I recently reinstalled TOAW on my D drive, installation went fine. But now I cannot install the latest patch.

When I try to do so, I get an error message: "W: The setup cannot continue because the above drive does not exist."

Which is strange, because while I have a W drive, I am neither installing from nor to the W drive--I am trying to install to (and from) the D drive.

Please help!

[UPDATE] I remembered that I also moved my Windows "Documents" Folder to my W drive, which is on my NAS--apparently the installer is trying to install something to there, but cannot. I can access the W drive with no problem, as can the game when it is open.
Oberst_Klink

RE: Cannot Install Patch

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Did you use the Matrix Updater or downloaded it via the FTP? Did you try installing it in admin or user mode?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I tried both ways, same result. Tried launching the patch both as user and admin, same result.
hingram

Post by hingram »

Try moving the Documents back to C. Many of the old games are hard-coded to the C drive.
Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: hingram
Try moving the Documents back to C. Many of the old games are hard-coded to the C drive.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not going to do that just for this game. The game itself installed just fine, I don't see why the patch would not.

If this is the answer, it is a real disappointment for an "updated" game. What exactly are we paying for? Not really acceptable in a game sold in 2017.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

So how do I get support from Matrix? I thought on this tech subforum, but if not, then how?
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

The game puts scenario files to Documents (to My Games).

The patch is looking for Documents on the C: drive I am afraid, and there is no workaround for that as far as I am aware, unfortunately.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Alright, our tech guys are working on the workaround and we'll get you a new patch to test if it solves it.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Aaand it's ready already. :)

Please download the patch again from the Members Area. It should find your Documents folder properly now.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Will try in the morning, that will be super cool if it works, thanks!
76mm

Post by 76mm »

hmmm, just tried it, got the exact same problem. In fact, there was a new error as well: on one of the screens, I got this message: "Error: The specified file: 'G:\Masterinstall\InstallerLicenceAgreement\Master EULA 2017.txt' could not be found." I don't have a G drive so not sure where that came from.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Ok, thanks for trying.

There is a new update on the Members Area, please grab it once more.

This time, the patch installer will display to you what it picked up as your Documents folder (on the "Ready to install" page).
76mm

Post by 76mm »

OK, I will try a bit later. Also, I wanted to mention that while the patch is installing, it "sees" that the game is installed to the D drive and tries to install there, it just doesn't work.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Just tried, no change, same problem. This is really getting tedious.
I downloaded from https://www.matrixgames.com/members/dow ... sp?gid=587, is it the right spot?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Not an IT guy but Windows 10 wants things done in certain ways. I've given up installing non Steam games on anything but the C: (system) drive to keep my sanity.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
Not an IT guy but Windows 10 wants things done in certain ways. I've given up installing non Steam games on anything but the C: (system) drive to keep my sanity.
That's how I was until I ran out of room on my C drive, and reinstalled all of my games to D. So far no problems other than this one.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Just tried, no change, same problem. This is really getting tedious.
I downloaded from https://www.matrixgames.com/members/dow ... sp?gid=587, is it the right spot?

Yep that's the right one. So did you see a display of what the installer read as your Documents folder? So we can see if it recognises it correctly?

I used to be an IT guy and I'd never put My Documents on a NAS or removable storage. Windows and Windows apps are just way too attached to it.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Tamas
So did you see a display of what the installer read as your Documents folder? So we can see if it recognises it correctly?
No, I don't see that...I see that the game wants to install to the D drive (where the game is installed), but nothing for the docs folder. In sequence, I get:
--a Welcome screen,
--a License Agreement screen (which displays "Error: The specified file: 'G:\Masterinstall\InstallerLicenceAgreement\Master EULA 2017.txt' could not be found."
--a serial number screen
--a Ready to Install screen, which show that it will install to the D drive,
--then an Installing screen, and immediately the W error described above.

So nothing about the Documents folder. Could I have the wrong version of the patch? I've tried downloading and installing several times, but could the link (and thus the patch) have been cached, etc?
HybridSpyda

Post by HybridSpyda »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: Tamas
So did you see a display of what the installer read as your Documents folder? So we can see if it recognises it correctly?
No, I don't see that...I see that the game wants to install to the D drive (where the game is installed), but nothing for the docs folder. In sequence, I get:
--a Welcome screen,
--a License Agreement screen (which displays "Error: The specified file: 'G:\Masterinstall\InstallerLicenceAgreement\Master EULA 2017.txt' could not be found."
--a serial number screen
--a Ready to Install screen, which show that it will install to the D drive,
--then an Installing screen, and immediately the W error described above.

So nothing about the Documents folder. Could I have the wrong version of the patch? I've tried downloading and installing several times, but could the link (and thus the patch) have been cached, etc?

Hi 76mm,

This means that you have not downloaded the updated patch from the Members Area.
Please download the patch from the location you previously got it from and rerun the installer.

This will remove the error about the EULA not being found and display your My Documents folder location on the Ready to Install screen.
Matthew Ravenwood

QA & Operations Manager

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: HybridSpyda
This means that you have not downloaded the updated patch from the Members Area.
Please download the patch from the location you previously got it from and rerun the installer.
Well, that's the thing--I have downloaded the updated patch from the Members Area, two or tree times. And before doing so, I've deleted the old patches, just to make sure. Something is not working right, could you please send me a link? I don't know if my members page is cached, with the wrong link, or what, but I have already downloaded from there several times with the same result.

Return to “Tech Support”