RTS

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

RTS

Post by GaryChildress »

I remember when I first really got into gaming RTS games were very popular. It seemed like they made up a pretty large percentage of the games available. I see almost none today. Not that I'm particularly interested in any myself. But it's sort of interesting the changes in the video gaming industry over the years. Now I see a LOT of survival games.
Kuokkanen

RE: RTS

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

I remember when I first really got into gaming RTS games were very popular. It seemed like they made up a pretty large percentage of the games available. I see almost none today.
You just aren't looking hard enough. Command & Conquer series has got new game just recently. You can see many more in here
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

simovitch

Post by simovitch »

simovitch

Pvt_Grunt

Post by Pvt_Grunt »

Age of Empires, Warcraft 2, Command and Conquer. I played them all to death in the late '90s

The introduction of 3D engines took away some of the thrill for me, the old ones are still the best (god I sound like an old man [8|] )
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Everything evolves, everything changes.

But some classics are classics because they did it, and did it so well, there's no need for a replacement.

I've got a lot of Nintendo DS games on a tablet played via an emulator and because it's on a tablet, a much nice screen size. The games are more than 10 years old now, but not in need to being redone.

I'm guessing the same holds with RTS titles (I don't care for RTS titles). I don't see any point in pretending there is anything wrong with the Close Combat series to give a wargaming example.

I'm waiting on the Steel Tigers design, but, boy, it is sooooo going to be a brutal thing it out doing its predecessor Steel Panthers. The fans are going to be incredibly harsh. I'd almost (almost, not really), bet my left boob Steel Tigers is NOT going to enjoy the run-up to its release. We wargamers are soooo fussy.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
JReb

Post by JReb »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

I'm waiting on the Steel Tigers design, but, boy, it is sooooo going to be a brutal thing it out doing its predecessor Steel Panthers. The fans are going to be incredibly harsh. I'd almost (almost, not really), bet my left boob Steel Tigers is NOT going to enjoy the run-up to its release. We wargamers are soooo fussy.

+1, except substitute testicle where applicable.
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Oh man, that made me laugh.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

But some classics are classics because they did it, and did it so well, there's no need for a replacement.
Try the original Age of Empires, I dare you! I did that in recent years (last year or year before), and one game review about AoE Definitive Edition sums it up (translated from Finnish):
Age of Empires is not the game you think you have played
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

I remember when I first really got into gaming RTS games were very popular. It seemed like they made up a pretty large percentage of the games available. I see almost none today. Not that I'm particularly interested in any myself. But it's sort of interesting the changes in the video gaming industry over the years. Now I see a LOT of survival games.

There are loads of RTS games still being released.

https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/RTS/

These are a few of the new-ish ones I am partial to.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333420/Cossacks_3/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6862 ... Battalion/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6449 ... _Billions/

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Wargame: Red Dragon, and it´s saga, Total War, and it´s saga, Call to Arms free to play, and it´s DLC´s, Steel Division Normandy 44, Men at War, and it´s saga and Company of Heroes, and it´s DLC´s are just a few of the more known warfare RTS with good feedback/reviews.

Divided We Fall is free to play now, you could always check that and Call to Arms out for free.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/495580/Divided_We_Fall_Play_For_Free/

Call to Arms, I personally like this one, it even has a first person view!
https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/302670/

Red
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Try the original Age of Empires, I dare you! I did that in recent years (last year or year before), and one game review about AoE Definitive Edition sums it up (translated from Finnish):
Age of Empires is not the game you think you have played

I actually enjoyed the turn-based conversions that were created for the Nintendo DS.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

If you want try a diferent RTS more orientated to Close Combat style AND you dont have problem with the war covered... "Syrian Warfare" is a surprising RTS, saddly is solo player and its waiting a small DLC to have scen editor.

"They are billions" is a game i am waiting to see in sale [&o]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

The only thing I didn't like about Syrian Warfare is it is linear. It takes you by the nose from action to action - drive here, shoot these guys, drive back, load these guys. A sandbox and upcoming editor will be awesome.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

i think there are still RTS games being made from developers big and small, they just dont garner the kind of advertising and attention like whatever teh current flavor of the month is - i think it is Battle Royale games still?

I have noticed alot more sci-fi based rts games of recent times more than anything else,n and there are all the Eugen systems rts games, but what does seem to be less done nowadays is the kind of land-based base building rts game i think
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

The only thing I didn't like about Syrian Warfare is it is linear. It takes you by the nose from action to action - drive here, shoot these guys, drive back, load these guys. A sandbox and upcoming editor will be awesome.

Well, the DLC is close to release and add editor... i really want try it and see if you can create big heavy armor combats... i like something in the style of "When Tigers Pounce" scen from original "Steel Panthers" but using T-90s VS T-55/62... a company of them defending a small village with light infantry support and some AT support VS a core attack force of T-90s in the role of Tigers and normal T-72s (or A versions with reactive armor) as support.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Syrian Warfare was fun, dialogs were a bit....err annoying for me. I agree it was linear too but fun.

RTS/FPS seems to be the new horizon (Hybrid)...

Eximus Seize The Frontline, in theory it´s due out on EA this month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdyr2Yd6Gl8

Red

PD.: It´s hard to come up with something new and refreshing now day´s so they seem to be doing alot of hybrids with popular titles and/or mechanics. Ghost Recon Wildlands is a clear example of a mix of own title/saga mechanics. I wish they would have stuck with the original GR, which is why I like Ground Branch now. Just my opinion though.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

The problem with Syrian Warfare was not release it with skirmish mode because in the end i have 0 interest and time in play a camapaign, i simple can play when i want-can and kill pixels this is why i prefer for multiplayer turn based games, apart that ambientation is not the best to promote the game... is curious because company previous game was oposite and use the more "classic" fuckyeamerica VS arabs.

I really prefer something if not historical at least more neutral like WWIII and you can play both sides.

Lets see how works the editor, if is easy use it maybe we can see a lot of more attractive scens.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

FTL like, random generated, rogue like, RTS, turn-based Sci-Fi exploration. At a great GOG price (79% off) that will run on almost any PC...

Battlevoid: Harbinger:
https://www.gog.com/game/battlevoid_harbinger

YT gameplay review...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFKv7mQmPdQ

Red

Return to “General Discussion”