Steam Tips?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

RE: Steam Tips?

Post by wodin »

THat's it..with CKII you can do as little or as much as you like..all upto you.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

CK2 is a hard game for me. Lots to learn to play it well. Strange terms and tons of things to remember or I get my butt handed to me on a platter. :) However, if you like lots of micromanagement and little to no action, then this could be your dream game.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

I've avoided steam because I thought you had to maintain an internet connection to play. Am I wrong?[&:]

I realize there is a 'play game offline' option but I assumed that the steam client had to have an Internet connection at all times... I may be mistaken about that and they do have some really nice sales.

Thus far I've been using GOG and GOG galaxy.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

offline mode works fine, and many use it, as it's only needed, (steam) that is to have on for updates and downloads, rest of the time you can turn off, just every now and then turn back on and check for updates for steam or games or both etc

Code: Select all

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
wodin

Post by wodin »

See I didn't find that at all..as little or as much micromanagement as you want to do

ORIGINAL: LarryP

CK2 is a hard game for me. Lots to learn to play it well. Strange terms and tons of things to remember or I get my butt handed to me on a platter. :) However, if you like lots of micromanagement and little to no action, then this could be your dream game.
Mylesmata

Post by Mylesmata »

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I haven't been able to get into CKII (or EUIV for that matter). I love the setting and the possibilities available, I just haven't clicked with it. I should reinstall and give it another try.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

After you install, make sure you go into steam settings, and set your download location under the downloads tab. Also, on the interface section, make sure to uncheck "Run Steam when my computer starts" so that it doesn't start up with windows.

Now I use steam as a game management app, not for friends or multiplayer, so I disable all friends features, and I really recommend unchecking "Enable the steam overlay while in-game" in "In-Game" section because I have noticed it causing problems with some games, not the ones you mentioned though.
JWW

Post by JWW »

I was always very dubious of Steam and avoided it for a long time. I frankly prefer the Matrix system and just keep a backup of my serial numbers and game downloads. But I eventually gave in and use it for some games -- not Matrix games -- like CK II. And I have found it easy to use and harmless, though I still don't fully trust it. But then I don't fully trust anything on the Internet.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks for the tips on settings especially. Turns out I'd installed Steam on my last computer back in 2012 when I originally bought CKII, but had forgotten about it and the e-mail address I needed to "validate" a new computer. Finally figured it out. I'll probably have more questions soon as I dive in...
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

There are no humans in Steam watching what you do. Instead the Steam computer records what you do then selects adds to show you.
Mylesmata

Post by Mylesmata »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

Now I use steam as a game management app, not for friends or multiplayer, so I disable all friends features, and I really recommend unchecking "Enable the steam overlay while in-game" in "In-Game" section because I have noticed it causing problems with some games, not the ones you mentioned though.

I find Steam overlay often disables itself automatically on games which don't support it (usually pre-2000 or DOS games), but I like to have the overlay for taking screenshots.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Reviving my own Steam thread...I didn't end up liking CKII very much, oh well.

But I've just bought Aggressors: Ancient Rome from Matrix and realized that I don't know how to install it with Steam (CKII was Steam-only). Do I install the Matrix version and then "activate" it on Steam? Do I install a Steam version? If so, am I installing a "non-Steam game" or "activating a Steam game" (two of the options when adding a game). Do I use the standard Matrix serial number to activate it on Steam, or do I need something else?

I've also asked these questions on the Aggressors forum, but I think they're in Europe, where it is late now, so thought I'd try here as well.
JReb

Post by JReb »

If you bought on Steam then install from your Steam library. If Matrix, then install Matrix version and then get Steam key.
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

If you want to install via Steam, you don't have to install the stand alone version.
Just redeem a Steam key and activate in your Steam account.
Please check this forum post for on how to redeem Steam keys for your games through your Slitherine's Member area:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 58&t=72513

Then you can download it via Steam:
https://support.fanatical.com/hc/en-us/ ... -in-Steam-
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: JReb
If you bought on Steam then install from your Steam library. If Matrix, then install Matrix version and then get Steam key.
This is what I did, but when I tried to activate the Steam Key, it tried to install another Steam version. So I uninstalled the Matrix version and installed the Steam version, but it does not work, will not start.

Return to “General Discussion”