Connect Four Team Game

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

thedoctorking

RE: C4 T003

Post by thedoctorking »

Central Front’s deployments were made with the expectation that a full Panzer Army with about 50 MP’s will be coming up the land bridge, seeking a lodgment across the Dnepr or to hook north to pocket forces in the Vitebsk-Polotsk region. A lesser possibility, more likely if the HQBU’s were in the south, is for the Axis armor to push up to the Dnepr near Mogliev and attempt to cross. So far, the Axis have prioritized taking terrain over destroying Soviet units, so I suspect a run at Smolensk and an attempt to cross upriver from there.

Attachments
Centerendtn3.jpg
Centerendtn3.jpg (895.08 KiB) Viewed 530 times
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

In both Center and North, we launched a major air superiority campaign this turn. By first ground bombing every available hex with poor-quality fighter-bombers and level bombers, we drew German fighter interceptors out repeatedly. As the number of planes intercepting each strike fell, and their combat effectiveness appeared to decrease (apparent from declining numbers of our own planes shot down), we realized that their fatigue levels had climbed and perhaps fuel and ammo stocks were nearly exhausted. Then, we launched our better fighters and ground attack planes at their air bases. The campaign was a great success as we shot down something like 60 German fighters in this region. Combined with losses in the southern sector, and bomber losses during those missions we can’t find out about, total Axis aircraft losses for the turn were 297 to our 947. Of our losses, only about 100 were first-line planes, well below replacement levels. Of their 94 fighter losses, 32 were Bf109E-3’s, assigned to units that are about to be withdrawn. I’m not clear on what happens if a withdrawn air unit is significantly understrength. I know if an on-map unit is understrength when it is to be withdrawn, it sits back in Germany on refit stealing replacements from everybody else until it gets up to a certain level. Hopefully, those shot-up withdrawing fighter squadrons will take some useful German fighters with them when they go. In any case, this appears to have been a victorious turn for the Red Air Force.

Attachments
Airlossestn3.jpg
Airlossestn3.jpg (252.45 KiB) Viewed 530 times
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

In the southern theater, the Axis invaders turned south, heading for the Black Sea and Odessa. This came as a surprise to me and to the rest of our team. German armored and motorized units are concentrated in southwestern Ukraine or divided up into a double line of regiments sealing the first-turn pockets beyond hope of relief. The imperiled units that made last turn’s counter attacks were either driven off or ignored rather than pocketed in their turn. Infantry moved up from the rear along the northern side of the pocket rather than squeezing into it, suggesting a possible German move directly on Kiev next turn. Here’s the situation in the northern half of the sector at the beginning of our turn:

Attachments
NorthUkra..gintn3.jpg
NorthUkra..gintn3.jpg (791.85 KiB) Viewed 530 times
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

And here’s the Odessa region. In this area, we noted a possible weakness as a mere Romanian armored division blocked the Odessa forces from a breakthrough that would go through two German Panzer Corps HQ’s.

Attachments
SouthUkra..gintn3.jpg
SouthUkra..gintn3.jpg (693.73 KiB) Viewed 530 times
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

In the northern Ukraine sector, we fell back towards Kiev, putting the majority of Southwest Front’s strength in front of an expected German infantry push towards the city. A screen of Southern Front units cover the open space to the south with a 70-mile cushion between them and the German armored screen holding the pocket open. Soldiers inside the pocket have been informed that if they fight to the end, their children will be guaranteed access to the best training schools, but if they surrender, their families will the “studying the geography of the north-eastern region” for many years. A few parachute drops of supplies helped some of the units maintain enough strength to fight on.

Attachments
Northukra..endtn3.jpg
Northukra..endtn3.jpg (661.32 KiB) Viewed 530 times
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

To the south, a successful counter attack from the Odessa pocket opened the route to Soviet-controlled territory to the north and also isolated a panzer corps around Ochakov. This required the likely sacrifice of a good cavalry division, but the exchange was well worth it. Most of the units in the Odessa pocket evacuated by sea, for reasons similar to the situation in Riga. If an assault on the city is successful, the fleeing units will not evacuate by sea but instead retreat to Soviet-occupied territory within the pocket, sealing their fate. Two divisions remain in the pocket, and an additional one still down on the Romanian border. Incidentally, no Romanians are in front of that division, meaning that if he has enough movement points next turn he can take a Romanian city. I think he has to be in supply to trigger Romanian surrender, but it will still be embarrassing for the Iron Guard to explain away.

Attachments
Southukra..endtn3.jpg
Southukra..endtn3.jpg (635.36 KiB) Viewed 530 times
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Total ground losses this turn were 21,033 for the Axis and 208,194 for the USSR. Destroyed units included 18 divisions and 5 brigades. For turn 3, this is a good outcome, especially when combined with the dramatic Axis air losses discussed above. TOE totals are 4,925,733 Axis to 3,628,375 for us. Their deployed aircraft went from 4,065 last turn to 3,815 now while ours climbed from 8,055 to 8,339. The new version of the game we are playing nerfed the Red Air Force to some extent, but I think we still have the advantage in the air.
Neogodhobo

RE: C4 Axis T2

Post by Neogodhobo »

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

There is a concentration of German armor north of the direct Riga-Velikiye Luki rail line, and it is possible that he plans to swing north in a surprise move. Those units appear to be all regiments, however, as visible both by the fact that they didn’t convert hexes in their ZOC and the low entrenchment levels that they achieved. They appear to be there to prevent a Soviet counterstroke towards the south rather than to push aggressively north themselves.
Giving credence to a northern strategy is the continued air assault on the port of Osinovets. Two raids of 40+ Ju88’s attacked the city this turn. Mig-3’s of 7 PVO Corps were in the air to meet them, and 8 fascist bombers met their end. The port suffered 5% damage.
No attempt was made to isolate or attack Riga. The units there will be free to move overland towards the main line of resistance and or dig in for a lengthy defense of the city, resupplied by sea as long as we hold Leningrad.
The main German armor in this sector is south of the Sorot/Velikaya river junction, either aiming for an indirect move behind Pskov or to push directly along the Velikiye Luki line. German infantry units have crossed the Dvina upriver from Riga and are also apparently heading for the upper Velikaya line along the road to Velikiye Luki.
Our response to this threat saw the 24th Army brought up from its reserve positions around Rzhev to garrison the Velikaya line south of the Sorot junction. Unfortunately the 22nd Army, originally stationed around Velikiye Luki, was called south for the unsuccessful counterattack in the Vitebsk sector – a problem with crossed signals of communication between North and Central commands. Therefore, Velikiye Luki is currently undefended. If there is a German armored corps somewhere back behind AGN’s lines that did an HQBU last turn, we could well have Germans in there next turn.
Another, less serious, mistake was the organization of the defense of Riga. We left two divisions in there, but did not garrison the hex to the southeast that is the only non river hexside of the city. It is now conceivable that a German infantry corps could move in there with enough MP for a deliberate attack on the city, capturing it next turn. This is not a critical mistake – the units there would retreat or rout and would be very unlikely to be destroyed. Still, an unfortunate tactical error that lessens the chance that we can hold Riga as a fortified outpost in their territory like Odessa to the south.

Indeed, the element of surprise was a big factor in Northern's Commander overall strategy.
The idea was to be aggressive, and unpredictable. (Especially so with working 12-16 hours per day,
every day for several weeks, there was not much time to give to complicated strategy and planning )
There wasnt much advance that could be done while waiting for the infantry to rejoin the front line,
so the Panzer groups were separated and tasked with taking as much ground possible in every direction possible.

A choice that would prove quite useless, in part, but also had served its purpose. Confusing the enemy.
The hope was that they would have no idea where the main concentration area would be, so that they either,

A) Protect the whole front of a thin defensive line.
B) Protect a few strong area and leave the rest open.

Either way, it would be positive for the Germans, having the choice to attack in every direction of their choosing. Two option would present them :

A1) attack everywhere he wants along the thin defensive line.
B1) Surround the few strong area and eliminate the defenders.
C) Leave the enemy wondering while waiting for the infantry and
wait for more mistakes to be made by them.

Ultimately, the order to wait for the infantry was given.
Pressure to be put on Pskov was ordered. And infantry to
keep advancing on all directions were barked.
As a special request from Central Commander ( then Searry, who was soon
to be replaced by the Northern Commander : Neogodhobo ) Northern Front
was asked to capture the swamp area with Elite Totenkopf SS Mot. Div of 4th Pz.Gr.
The request was immediately denied, but upon looking into his cold cold heart,
Hobo decided to take the swamp area after all. Although instead of sending the
Totenkopf, the mission was given to Generalleutnant Theodor Freiherr von Wrede,
and the 290th Inf. Div of the 56th Pz. corps saw their task being accomplished.

All in all, the separation of the Panzer Divisions was still unnecessary, but
was great to play either way. I wonder if the enemy would have still been
confused whether or not I would have separated them.

Telemecus

C4 T004

Post by Telemecus »

Team Turn 4

Team changes this turn as we gain new commanders for North, South and Air. Our previous North commander moves to take over Centre. So from turn 4 our team line up is

Axis
North & Air: Erzac
Centre: Neogodhobo
South: mssm45
Chief of Staff: Telemecus
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Neogodhobo

RE: C4 T004

Post by Neogodhobo »

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Team Turn 4

Team changes this turn as we gain new commanders for North, South and Air. Our previous North commander moves to take over Centre. So from turn 4 our team line up is

Axis
North & Air: Erzac
Centre: Neogodhobo
South: mssm45
Air Warfare strategy Advisor : Searry
Chief of Staff: Telemecus

I believe this is more appropriate.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

To commemorate Erzac taking up the air role in Connect 4 Goebbels' Ministry commissioned a special film to be made!

They commissioned it from a hither to little known film maker - also Erzac! [:)]

Testimonials

"I am now the student - Erzac is the master" Leni Riefenstahl

"Whoever else won the Oscar this year, Erzac was robbed" Jack Warner

"For my next propaganda film, they will be my go to guy" Joseph Goebbels

"The future of filmography" Alfred Hitchcock
Attachments
C4004Axi..ntropic.jpg
C4004Axi..ntropic.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

Turn 4. THE, famous turn 4. The turn, that changed everything, as is common in early M.M.W
(Massive Multiplayer Wargames) games.

General Searry took an early retirement, under condition of staying and advising the new Air General.
He then returned home and took the role of Air Warfare Strategy Advisor with reduced pay
and benefits, while receiving half of his retirement money.

General Joneleth stepped on a landmine, never to be seen again..

Hobo was transfered to take command in the Central front. Erzac was promoted to take command of both
Northern Front and Air Commander. Mssm45 was promoted to take command of Southern Front.
____

This led to a halt in the Central Front. It was the 10th July, 41, and Hobo had to recollect everything
and move everyone in position according to his plans. It was a bit of a mess..

9th Army was spread all over the place, with 42nd Corps and 5th Corps scattered behind Minsk, while the
rest of the army was fighting North-West of Vitebsk. 4th Army was far behind Minsk. 2nd Pz.Gr. was cut in two
to support the attack South. Therefore they had only been able to advance to Minsk, while 3rd Pz. Gr. was already
fighting in the Vitebsk area.

Situation on the Center, 10th July 1941.

In his eye, everything screamed disaster. He would have to sacrifice a couple turn and re-organised everything.
So turn 4 did not see much progress, but by the end of the turn, 9th Army was completely regrouped together to
the exception of one division. 2nd Army was re-positioned as reserve in Vilnius. 4th Army was marched past Minsk,
and angry calls to Chief of Staff was made to regain control of the rest of its group, they were going to rejoin
with them near Gomel. 4th Army was marched towards to the South-West vicinity Minsk. 3rd Pz.Gr was ordered to halt
and take defensive position North of Vitebsk. The city being abandoned last turn, it was decided not to capture it
back with Panzer Divisions and wait for the infantry.

With Central front reorganized. It was now a matter of waiting for the infantry to arrive on the front line..

Situation on the Center, 16th July, 1941.
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

Oh, that's where they were! I spent several turns wondering where the heck 2nd Army had gotten itself to.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Axis North Turn 4
Erzac
[:)]
Glorius conquest of the cough undefended cough Riga
Erzac
Pskov seems like some work to do

Attachments
C4004Axi..08North.jpg
C4004Axi..08North.jpg (358.98 KiB) Viewed 530 times
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Erzac
[:)]
Glorius conquest of the cough undefended cough Riga

Haha

Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Axis South Turn 4

Pockets held this turn - so the great destruction of Soviet units begins. More care is taken to protect our supply corridor from Poland. The rules of the game means there is no danger of a Rumanian surrender - but allocations continue to insist on the importance of protecting industry at Galati. Our rails are still susceptible to marauding. Odessa is taken and the forces temporarily isolated at Ochakow are brought back into supply. Across the board there is an advance towards the Dnepr.

With a large part of 2nd Panzer Group south of the marshes thoughts turn to how to bring them together again
Belgavox
We need to align on PZG2 strategy between center and south I am one turn from the Kiev suburbs My proposal is to take Kiev asap to allow PZG2 to move back to center via Gomel

Belgavox
I have to admit that it was my first real WitE turn
Attachments
C4004Axi..08South.jpg
C4004Axi..08South.jpg (846.83 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Axis Air Turn 4

Air
Erzac
Send help - I actually like the air warfare
Erzac
Now it has mig-3's up the wazoo

Erzac
Telemecus
I am the one who uses the Slovak air force to spam bomb everything ... - they all leave so I want to squeeze every drop out before then
Might want to present the idea to Slovak leadership with mildly different wording [:)]
Attachments
C4004Axi..es75.jpg
C4004Axi..es75.jpg (249.51 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Searry
yes the kabuki will likely strain your brain a lot first then a bit less later [:)]

Unlike solo games, it is quite common in team games for players to leave and new ones to join. All that is asked is they help during the handover to their successor. Searry was the one to do that - and much more. After days of briefing our new air commander on the air warfare system of WitE Erzac surfaces to give his reaction
Erzac
Searry just talked me through air warfare which has lead me to one conclusion - I need to get more beer

Searry went way beyond what we could ever have asked and deserves a special tip of the hat, mention in dispatches and commendation! Searry still pops in to advise us and will always be a valued friend of the game - thankyou Searry!
Searry
it's funny how I played this game for 2 years every day but there's still so much arcane knowledge it's like interpreting what hieroglyphs mean without the rosetta stone
Searry
Who wants to spend hundreds of hours moving counters on a map?
I do!
Searry
Loving this micro [:)]
Searry
looks like reality is different from patch notes once again [:)]
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

Axis air casualties seem pretty high considering that its only turn 4. How forward are the fighter groups deployed? Are they not using air ranges?
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: xhoel
Axis air casualties seem pretty high considering that its only turn 4. How forward are the fighter groups deployed? Are they not using air ranges?
I think some axis air bases were displaced during the Soviet turn [:(] More care did need to be taken of Soviet marauding in the rear - isolated forces are not dead yet!

Return to “After Action Reports”