kamikaze activation

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geoffreyg

kamikaze activation

Post by geoffreyg »

Have recently reached mid- August 1945 as Japanese Scenario One - doing ok (probably short term!).
Soviet activation has occurred recently and the UK have also very recently captured Tacloban which seems to be within 20 sea hexes of Takao.
So far I have only had a handful of squadrons showing as being able to convert to Kamikazes when I would have expected them all to be now eligible.
Just wondered if I was doing something wrong?
Lokasenna

RE: kamikaze activation

Post by Lokasenna »

You can only convert 1 per turn.
geoffreyg

Post by geoffreyg »

Many thanks.
Yes I understand that but I assume I can choose any squadron?
The vast majority of units still have the option greyed out.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

There are also average XP and morale requirements.

I don't know the morale requirement, but I believe the unit must have an average pilot XP of 45 or less.
geoffreyg

Post by geoffreyg »

Many thanks - much appreciated.
I will try next turn.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
but I believe the unit must have an average pilot XP of 45 or less.
That xp requirement always looked funny to me.

- We are experienced pilots, we refuse to die for the emperor!
- Oh...ok. Tomorrow we will move in them stupid green cadets, they vote for going kami. And you betcha you will be back here next Monday with zero complaints.

edit: I think once I even used the same group of green cadets moving around converting daitais. Talk about election fraud [:)]
geoffreyg

Post by geoffreyg »

Worked like a dream - much appreciated.
I agree with GetAssista regarding the logic though!
geoffreyg

Post by geoffreyg »

Many thanks again to Lokasenna for the advice on activation.
Having got them I find that moving them and aiming them are both a touch problematic.
Any advice on those topics?
I had assumed I would use Tsurugi bombers for the IJA units but I now wonder whether I should use late Oscars for greater range.
However I had hoped to use the relevant squadrons for inteception and I would be concerned inter alia about a potential morale drop resulting from usage.
Many thanks in advance for views.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

- Oh...ok. Tomorrow we will move in them stupid green cadets, they vote for going kami. And you betcha you will be back here next Monday with zero complaints.

edit: I think once I even used the same group of green cadets moving around converting daitais. Talk about election fraud [:)]

Look at it not from the perspective of the pilots, but from that of the commanders and it makes sense.

The commander doesn't want to throw away a trained asset. He prefers to throw away the untrained asset.
Hans

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The commander doesn't want to throw away a trained asset. He prefers to throw away the untrained asset.

Sheech, talk about being the low man on the totem pole...[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Look at it not from the perspective of the pilots, but from that of the commanders and it makes sense.

"Look at me, I am the commander here"

Hardcoded rule that is painlessly and what is more important believably circumvented - is silly.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

"Look at me, I am the commander here"

Hardcoded rule that is painlessly and what is more important believably circumvented - is silly.

AE is full of that. You can have all sorts of fun with switching the command headquarters of bases.

"Oh, we can't send that squadron there, that's the the Southern Command, and we're General Defense Command!"

"It's ok, Southern Command transfered an engineer unit to General Defense Command, they've changed the nameplates on the HQ doors, so now it's General Defense Command!.

*proceeds to transfer any number of restricted squadrons to said base*

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”