All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

zakblood

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

Post by zakblood »

well i don't watch football tbh, but from what i hear from friends who do, we may have invented the game, like cricket etc, but we just aren't very good at it, in fact it seems everyone else is just well better, hungrier, fitter, more skillful and wan't to win more.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

well i don't watch football tbh, but from what i hear from friends who do, we may have invented the game, like cricket etc, but we just aren't very good at it, in fact it seems everyone else is just well better, hungrier, fitter, more skillful and wan't to win more.
warspite1

I'd agree with better and more skilful but not the others.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i've not every watched a match in my life, so can't argue the finer points, just go by results, something we lack and have done for a long time now i'm sorry to say
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Piteas

Post by Piteas »

Maybe in England and other leagues there is a lack of pressure on the players. I see that the english supporter forgives a lot if his team win the match, although the team didn´t fight hard. Many spanish players in english teams talk about this.
In Spain, if players don´t work hard in a game (losing is always acceptable, but you have to fight hard), local newspapers and televisions are very critical and attack players, the fans visit, insult and make jokes to players in training days, the next game is hell in the stadium ... the pressure is terrible on the players, but a pressure to fight hard, not to win. Your players must show effort and tenacity, "die on the grass" because they cost a lot of money. If you win, ok, party now, but the main idea is that the team has to show its commitment with the supporters. The win is secondary, a possible and welcome consequence.
This may explain that six of the last eight Champions Leagues and five of the last eight Europa Leagues have spanish champions (Barça, Real, Sevilla, Atlético).
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Bloody hell, we went away to Gateshead and actually beat them 1-0.

We won a game!

Finally!

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Another reason for Spurs fans to fear the future. Pochettino has met with the soon-to-be-managerless-Barcelona chairman......

It would be so Spurs to lose him to Barcelona. Lloris has admitted he may not stay at the club - but definitely won't if Poch goes.... and then the floodgates start to crack and open.

I hate football, I hate supporting Spurs.....

And don't you have a new stadium to get excited about?

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

No. I am a Tottenham fan, I don't do excited. Instead I am waiting for the project to go wrong. We'll probably use the wrong steel and within days of the grand opening the west stand will probably collapse in on itself.

Meanwhile, given our record at Wembley, we will almost certainly get relegated next year......
warspite1

Okay I got the cause of the problems wrong - I thought it would be dodgy metal but it appears its dodgy electrics - so instead of falling down, the stadium will burn to the ground.

I also got the year wrong - it is this year we will be relegated.

I hate football etc...[:(]

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

And don't you have a new stadium to get excited about?

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

No. I am a Tottenham fan, I don't do excited. Instead I am waiting for the project to go wrong. We'll probably use the wrong steel and within days of the grand opening the west stand will probably collapse in on itself.

Meanwhile, given our record at Wembley, we will almost certainly get relegated next year......
warspite1

Okay I got the cause of the problems wrong - I thought it would be dodgy metal but it appears its dodgy electrics - so instead of falling down, the stadium will burn to the ground.

After a burst water main dumped half the Thames on the faulty wiring....

... I get the feeling that stadium might be....

..... cursed...

... the football team surely is....

... at least they are not cows... or they are cows... or they are the train... or... my head hurts...

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Ok.. I think I've got it. This is what is going on at Spurs...

There's this cow, right, in a field. Only it's not a cow and it's not a field. Not entirely sure what the cow is at the moment, but please try to keep up.

Now the field is the football pitch, ok? So the cow is on the football pitch, which probably has loads of cowpats on it because of the faulty wiring and burst water mains...

Then there is a train passing by the football pitch which the cow sees but the cowpats don't because the cowpats know nothing about trains or train timetables....

Because if you ask a cowpat when the next train is... um... it's not going to say anything... Now the train is the Champion's League. And the train timetable is the fixture list....

The train passes by field and the cow sees it. But the cow, like the cowpats don't know it's the Champion's League....

To be fair, the train doesn't know much about the cow either but I don't think that's significant...

The railway tracks are the journalists...

… and they keep stepping in the cowpats...

So, the cow goes back to eating grass which is like the Premier League only from the railway tracks the grass looks suspiciously like the Championship...

And that's what's going on at Spurs...

I think the cow's name is Mauricio... or possibly warspite1... my head still hurts...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

warspite1

After a burst water main dumped half the Thames on the faulty wiring....

... I get the feeling that stadium might be....

..... cursed...

... the football team surely is....

... at least they are not cows... or they are cows... or they are the train... or... my head hurts...

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Ok.. I think I've got it. This is what is going on at Spurs...

There's this cow, right, in a field. Only it's not a cow and it's not a field. Not entirely sure what the cow is at the moment, but please try to keep up.

Now the field is the football pitch, ok? So the cow is on the football pitch, which probably has loads of cowpats on it because of the faulty wiring and burst water mains...

Then there is a train passing by the football pitch which the cow sees but the cowpats don't because the cowpats know nothing about trains or train timetables....

Because if you ask a cowpat when the next train is... um... it's not going to say anything... Now the train is the Champion's League. And the train timetable is the fixture list....

The train passes by field and the cow sees it. But the cow, like the cowpats don't know it's the Champion's League....

To be fair, the train doesn't know much about the cow either but I don't think that's significant...

The railway tracks are the journalists...

… and they keep stepping in the cowpats...

So, the cow goes back to eating grass which is like the Premier League only from the railway tracks the grass looks suspiciously like the Championship...

And that's what's going on at Spurs...

I think the cow's name is Mauricio... or possibly warspite1... my head still hurts...
warspite1

They'll be singing this about Pochettino from the terraces at the weekend (to the tune of that wonderful ode to Rafa Benitez 'Fat Spanish Waiter') - **** Jean Jacques Liverot, you're just a **** Jean Jacques Liverot.....

And from the great man himself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tyrr0xSnxY

Orm

Post by Orm »

Football is a wonderful thing. [:)]

Thank you to those who created the game. [&o] [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Allow me to explain young Ormster. No. It. Isn't.

But may one detect from your childishly naive view of football that there was a win for AIK per chance?

[;)]

Orm

Post by Orm »

Yes, there was a win today. And there has been wins pretty much the entire season. Only one loss so far. 6 points ahead with 7 (I think) matches left of the season.

And the last Sunday we beat the local rivals that was in second place in the table. Almost 50.000 spectators at the stadium. Record for AIK.

As I said. Football was a wonderful invention. Thank you.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Yes, there was a win today. And there has been wins pretty much the entire season. Only one loss so far. 6 points ahead with 7 (I think) matches left of the season.

And the last Sunday we beat the local rivals that was in second place in the table. Almost 50.000 spectators at the stadium. Record for AIK.

As I said. Football was a wonderful invention. Thank you.
warspite1

Well I have my fingers crossed for you and AIK in the remaining games [:)]. I can only dream what a league championship win feels like [:(]

shunwick

Post by shunwick »

I can only dream what a league championship win feels like [:(]

I can only dream what a win feels like...

Best wishes,
Steve
Orm

Post by Orm »

Football is a glorious thing. The perfect sport.

So if one is prone to pondering one could ask oneself if football was creatively engineered by a single entity, and was perfect once created. Or if evolution eventually turned the game into perfection.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The essential game was perfect from the word go. Sure it needed refinement and modifications to bring the game up to the one we now know and love (or hate, as its a stupid game) but the basic concept was perfect and so it's status as the world game is easy to understand.

Not too technical, easy to understand, can be played anywhere, with any size ball, on any sized pitch and using just jumpers for goal posts, rush goalie.... [:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs

Orm

Post by Orm »

The essential game was perfect from the word go. Sure it needed refinement and modifications to bring the game up to the one we now know and love (or hate, as its a stupid game) but the basic concept was perfect and so it's status as the world game is easy to understand.

Not too technical, easy to understand, can be played anywhere, with any size ball, on any sized pitch and using just jumpers for goal posts, rush goalie.... [:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs
[:D]

A slow evolving thing then, since we had to invent jumpers to play football. [;)]
Orm

Post by Orm »

How to celebrate a goal?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... NG-IT.html

Edit: A link to youtube with the event, both the goal and the beer catching. Although it is hard to spot until it is shown in slow motion towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoJZEM0EQb0
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

How to celebrate a goal?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... NG-IT.html

Edit: A link to youtube with the event, both the goal and the beer catching. Although it is hard to spot until it is shown in slow motion towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoJZEM0EQb0
warspite1

Not sure I would drink something thrown from the crowd.....[X(]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I really hate stoooopid football* [:(]

* I thought I might as well get that in early.....

loki100

Post by loki100 »

I really hate stoooopid football* [:(]

* I thought I might as well get that in early.....

yep

Return to “General Discussion”