CSV Ian Allies larry NVA csv_v.1.0.sce

After Action Reports
Hyding

RE: CSV Ian Allies larry NVA csv_v.1.0.sce

Post by Hyding »

Oh and thanks for the AAR guys! Much appreciated.
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

Oh and Ian,could you please mention the number of provinces that get the VC Activity news announcement each turn?

For those who have not played the game the provinces listed under that news thread are the ones in which the NLF player accomplished two things: First they converted a new hex in their turn and held it through the following FWA turn. Second they made a percentage check based on the population/importance of the province.

It gives a good indication of the volume and success of NLF activities in south Vietnam.

devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 37.

Firstly, thanks for the info Hyding...A trigger of 40 would have been handy !

This turn there are 5 provinces noting new VC activity compared to 2 last turn, reflecting the problems with a lot of VC activity last turn. The 25th Division began to arrive and the Air Cav were withdrawn so a combination of all of the above saw EVV up again to 55 and VP's fall to +38.

Only one VC unit is visible on map this turn (None last turn) with the rest disbanded so apart from trying to reconvert hexes I have little to do with my ground forces. The overall situation has the northern provinces almost totally under ARVN control as is the Delta but Kontum is still a problem in the centre, as are the neighbouring provinces.
My problem is that with nothing to fight the VC are able to pop up, convert and disappear and I am having problems reconverting all the hexes with the forces U have....it's a tricky one.

My Strat Bombers have been invaluable though and they drop another bridge and destroy the 308th Div Hq this turn.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 38...Jan 1968

As the new year begins VP's tick back up to +40 for the US though EVV is now 57.

The rest of the 23rd Division arrive and are much needed in the central provinces. This last turn there was VC activity recorded in Kontum (again!) and Binh Dinh but a co ordinates attack on Chau Phu was fought off by a ARVN recon unit thanks to heavy air support.

During the ARVN turn all US Strategic Bombers were unfortunately on reorganisation so action was limited to destroying a stray VC Sapper battalion in the Delta.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 39

Now I have big problems. VP's plummet to +32 after there is activity from the VC in An Xuyen,Quang Tin,Vinh Binh and Quang Ngai and the VC storm Tan An down in the Delta.

Whilst the ARVN 3rd Division was able to retake the town which should recoup some of the VP's lost next turn it illustrates how vulnerable a lot of these towns are given the need to send troops out into the boonies re-occupying converted territory.

The Delta area is actually one of the most secure pieces of real estate I have so it is particularly annoying.

I have made some adjustments to the air deployments this turn in an attempt to be more effective so we will see if it makes a difference.

EVV popped up again to 58 to add icing to the cake !
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 40......

Oh boy....All hell breaks loose as Larry launches his version of the Tet Offensive.

Something I never managed during my attempt at playing the VC side, despite its eventual success was proper co-ordination between widespread VC activity and a full on NVA invasion but Larry nails it.

Serious attacks are made on Truc Giang, Gia Nghai, Tay Ninh, Dong Ha and Khe Sanh. and province wise Tuyen Doc, Khan Hoa and Quang Ngai all record fresh VC activity. A combination of all of this mayhem is that VP's plunge to +23 (from 32 last turn) as VC units enter Truc Giang and the garrison at Khe Sanh is wiped out.

After much barrel scraping and heavy fighting Truc Giang is retaken but units across the country are pulled out of position and there is the loud sound of tolling bells heard in Saigon :-)
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 41

April 1968 and the VC melt away as quickly as they had come giving the South of the country at least some respite.

As a result, with the recapture of Truc Giang and activity only in one province this turn, VP's pop back up to +39 and EVV is at 59.

The NVA continue to threaten Quang Tri and Thus Thien in the North but for now Border units supported by US and ARVN regulars still hold the important towns.
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 42 and 43

EVV and VP's remain constant at 62 and +35 to the US respectively as frantic artillery and air bombardment just manage to hold the line in Quang Tri where the NVA remain very strong. Five provinces record activity by the VC in turn 42 but only two in turn 43.

A failed proficiency check by Larry allows me to destroy three of the hated VC rocket units which cause mayhem before melting away on most occasions.

The welcome arrival of some Thai troops helps the counter insurgency effort in the Delta.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's what it looks like at the DMZ right now.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (480.83 KiB) Viewed 176 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 46

An unusually positive turn for the Allies sees VP's pop back up to +33 and EVV at 64 as big losses for the NVA and only two provinces registering VC activity give the South some respite. No VC could be seen so the effort was concentrated against the NVA where the Front line just about held despite repeated assaults by the NVA.

A number of NVA regiments were mauled and importantly three long range artillery units wiped out by the Strategic Bombers and allied artillery. As a bonus a squadron of MiGs also was taken down after interrupting the bombing runs.

All towns remained in ARVN hands.

devoncop

Post by devoncop »

November 1968

VP's = +32 for the Allies
EVV = 66

Remorselessly the EVV continues to rise and will have to be addressed with withdrawals sooner or later.

The VC again keep a low profile but fortunately they only register a single Province of new activity (Phu Ban) so VP's for once tick back up. The NVA remain camped in Quang Tri facing the NARVN and US so I decide enough is enough and move mechanised units around the southern flank and launch a concentrated attack on the line trying to cut them off from supply. This is largely accomplished and several NVA regiments are destroyed or decimated by artillery and air attack.

Larry having a failed proficiency check left a couple of VC rocket units in the field so I was able to take these out in the central coastal areas. The Delts remains fully secure and I have enough troops to reoccupy and territory taken by VC units pretty much but the central provinces are badlands indeed other than the towns and roads in between.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It has taken a lot of turns but I've repaired the rail to about the half-way mark so far. There's a lot to go yet of course and Ian has a habit of dropping the rail at bridges so I have to keep repairing them too. I'm hoping this will raise the supply level in the interior of the country as well as along the rails.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (422.25 KiB) Viewed 176 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 50

EVV pops up to 68 and VP's are back at +30 after last turn no less than 6 provinces showed VC activity.

This turn only 2 provinces registered new activity but only a solitary rocketeer unit in the Delta and a Political Unit in the central badlands were visible and able to be assaulted so I occupied myself by knocking out every bridge on the Trail that had been improved to date along with a RR unit. A MiG unit that stuck its nose in got taken out as a bonus.

The NVA in Qung Tri have all crawled back under their stones too.

devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 51 and 52

EVV over the last 2 turns has increased to 70 and VP's have decreased to +26 with VC activity registering in 6 and 4 provinces respectively causing the VP drop.

To be honest I think this is now a case of seeing how long I can hold out as Larry has developed what seems the ideal strategy in the scenario....namely with the VC just convert as many hexes as you can with your movement as the units spawn and then disband them. This means all the US and ARVN forces can do nothing more than try and move back over the converted hexes as they have nothing to fight. Given the geographic area and the paucity of forces to cover it all (even with US help) the VP total will keep edging the wrong way for the Allies without fighting.

Over the last year not a single VP point city has fallen to the VC but they dont need to take them in my view. Larry is doing a brilliant job marshalling his shadows !

This turn there was heavy bombardment from Cambodia against my ARVN trying to stop border incursions and the Monsoon started again alongside nearly all the Strat Bombers being in reorg !

Not helpful :-)

devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Turn 54

Somewhat ahead of schedule helicopters evacuate all personnel from the US Embassy in Saigon and all troops are ordered to withdraw........the city expects VC occupation at any time.........

In game terms I have offered a full surrender. The VP's were still at +25 and EVV at 71 but the die is cast now Larry has come to the same conclusion as I did when playing the NLF...namely that avoiding fighting is the best way for them to win. When I open the turn not a single NLF or VC unit is visible in Sth Vietnam and action was restricted to VC units converting multiple hexes and then disbanding along with cross border long range artillery strikes.

In my humble opinion this scenario has a few issues with game balance for this reason. To stop mass conversion of hexes so many US units need to be mobilised that the EVV goes through the roof very quickly.

Larry did a great job and has forced the win about 20 turns quicker than I managed but I would be interested to know if anyone has beaten an experienced NLF player to see if I am just being more than usually dense [:)]

Thanks to Larry for the game as always. A fine opponent.
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

Great game guys. Well played on both sides. Between 2 experienced players the NLF is certainly going to have the edge. But they are by no means unbeatable. I have won numerous times as the Allied player. And I rank myself as an average player (Ian beat me twice at one of my other scenarios, "Call to Arms"). But knowing how much force to apply, when to apply it, and for how long is key to victory as the Allies. The Goldilocks effect. Also, the dynamics of the scenario change in the end game, which you guys did not actually reach.

That being said, it has been years since I've played this against a real opponent, and have never played the new version with the new TOAW against an opponent. So I'm not ruling out play balance issues given all these changes. To find out, I will offer a challenge to either of you for another game with me as the Allies. If there still appears to be a problem with play balance then I'll open it back up in the editor and start tweaking things.

So how about it, who's up for another game? FYI, I can't log into the Matrix PBEM server thing, so it will have to via the legacy PBEM system.

Thanks

Curt
Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Hi Raindem !

That's a kind offer and if I didn't have the tech know-how of an amoeba I would gladly play you but the only reason I play MP is because of the PBEM++ system built into the game as I can't get my pea brain around the old style grog way !

Larry may have space and inclination at some point but I don't know.

Thanks again for the generous offer though and I did have a lot of fun with it so well done !

Return to “After Action Reports”