TopEverest vs Admiral Kamikaze - the rematch

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

topeverest

Rail Update

Post by topeverest »

Things looking better here. On any given turn Trucks usually are positive, but barely - like this turn.

The 4 controllable rail engineers are on servicing the key advance axes.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (763.75 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 167 August 24 1944

Post by topeverest »

6 more turns in summer campaign

VP 180 (-7) Germany retreats out of Cheringov and Smolensk. Russia assaults Kiev
Trucks 187 / (184) Still walking the tightrope on trucks...
AP Usage - 3 army commanders replaced and STAVKA replaced

Germany executes a planned retreat in many places on the MLR, but the southern front collapses - and Russia reaches the Romanian border

1. Battlefield rapidly evolving. Germans execute a planned retreat behind the Dnepr giving up Cheringov. Gomel is still in his hands, but indications are that he could not complete his retreat, so he is holed up in strength there.
2. Further north, the enemy has pulled back to the line of rough hexes and generally vacated about 4 hexes west from around Smolensk down to Mogiliv.
3. The enemy appears to be transferring more troops south to the hot zone
4. From Kiev down to the Dnester - approx 20 hexes, the Russians reestablished some semblance of steamroller tactics taking about 25 hexes in that area mostly one or two hex depth, including a major battle at Kiev
5. German resistance within 10 or so hexes of the Black sea has been deflated by the recent local unit losses. While the bulk of the Axis forces began setting up at the Romanian border / Prut River,, a delaying force was setup at the Kogilnik river about 5 hexes east of the border. Russian recon identifies this weakness has pushes three armor armies into the area, and reaches the Romanian border
6. The sudden success of the Black sea advance has put the Russians in a serious dilemma. Russian trucks hover at 100% and because of the rapid advance the rail line trace back to connected rail is 20 hexes ---- 15 hexes as the crow flies. I have serious worries about the impact to trucks if I advance any further, but I am worried about losing the opportunity to gain even more ground in Romania
Andy M
topeverest

Romanian Frontier

Post by topeverest »

Here is where the main success occurred. As cited above, since Trucks are hovering around 100% and the rail line is severely lagging back at Odessa due to the rapid advance, I find it difficult to advance further if trucks go negative / < 100% next turn, which is likely.

Anyway that is a problem for the next turn.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (511.74 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

MLR View

Post by topeverest »

As previously discussed, the primary Russian effort is the plains south of the Pripyat marshes. Following describes the various efforts.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (956.84 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Current Strengths

Post by topeverest »

Here they are

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (312.35 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Armaments and Tank Pools

Post by topeverest »

probably run out it seems

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (232.01 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Unit Mix

Post by topeverest »

No longer making any units. This will be the final mix barring some super strange event

I could opine about the mistakes I have made in unit mix, but that is a post for another time.

Attachments
2222.jpg
2222.jpg (375.56 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Armor Corps

Post by topeverest »

49 Armor corps, including 12 corps made this year to create the Smolensk Armor Group.

Note the low TOEs --- many still upsizing from 44 TOE upgrade which I didn't plan for right.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (508.79 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Infantry Corps

Post by topeverest »

Here are the top 100 or so INF corps. Note the higher TOE%

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (824.48 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Mech Corps

Post by topeverest »

Note - there are no motorized units in my armies.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (81.76 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Cavalry Corps

Post by topeverest »

Only built 26. And I didn't manage to get them all guard. So still learning here too.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (257.39 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 169 Sepetember 7 1944

Post by topeverest »

4 more turns in Summer 44 season

VP - 178 (Axis evacuate Kishinev and Gomel)
Trucks - 183 / (167) getting better as rail lines catch up
AP usage - disbanded a bunch of AA units and built more rail engineers as needed them in 2nd Baltic and Leningrad fronts. also finished commander replacements

Summary of last two turns:
1. Axis continues graduated retreats mostly in the northern theaters as troops are transferred south
2. Russians force the Danube at its mouth in the high country but are stopped from advancing after losing a series of fights along the river, though Russians are firmly on the west bank there
3. Between the Dnester and Bug, Russian armor finds a weak point and busts the enemy MLR driving to a point SW of Vinnitsa threatening the main MLR west of Kiev
4. The main southern steamroller continued its hard nosed attacks riving west from the Kiev plain. Vinnitsa and Zhitomir are near term targets.
5. West of Smolensk, the enemy has conducted several planned retreats under pressure. The Dnepr curve west of Smolensk was forced in strength and the Reds are poised to drive west towards minsk in strength
6. rail engineers have been fastidiously pushing the rail lines west, and more engineers were built for the northern reaches where I built to few to keep up
Andy M
topeverest

Rail Supply and trucks

Post by topeverest »

This has looked better each of the last two turns, as the lines started to catch up

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Southern Theater

Post by topeverest »

Here is updated progress a look at that great defensive stance in Romania and season objectives

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (992.12 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
M60A3TTS

RE: Southern Theater

Post by M60A3TTS »

Stripping away the units and looking at the terrain, it's hard to understand what the purpose of attacking here is, especially with a bunch of tank corps.

You have the Danube with multiple channels, with all these swamp and rough hexes. Unless it was largely devoid of units, that is an area which can easily be left alone.
topeverest

RE: Southern Theater

Post by topeverest »

Good point

I am remiss in providing the reasons why I did what I did.

In the Black Sea zone several turns back a sizable enemy force was surrounded and captured
In the ensuing turns the exploitation far exceeded the supply line
Units were low on supply and high fatigue, and I have been nursing poor trucks
I held them at rest near their intended crossing at the Prut just north of the city grouping
The enemy rightly strengthened this sector to the point when this turn there was enough supply to attack it was problematic. I estimated that I would only get two or so hexes.
Because I didn't expect a huge success on the north side of the Danube, I sought other places to attack.
The south side of the Danube was far weaker held and in range. I opted for that attack.

Ironically I got the exact penetration that I estimated I would on the other side, and now I am the worse for wear because of it. This only would have looked brilliant if I had broken the thin blue line, which I didn't.

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Stripping away the units and looking at the terrain, it's hard to understand what the purpose of attacking here is, especially with a bunch of tank corps.

You have the Danube with multiple channels, with all these swamp and rough hexes. Unless it was largely devoid of units, that is an area which can easily be left alone.
Andy M
topeverest

Northern Theater

Post by topeverest »

This is the secondary front, keeping the enemy honest south of the Pripyat.

The next major decision will be this winter season if to cede Leningrad and Finland or take them out. I am leaning towards leaving them and going for Berlin, if it is all a potential to get there.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (408.85 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Losses

Post by topeverest »

I am keeping a close eye on AFV losses since the northern three armor armies still are hovering around 6 experience as they were built last winter.

With the majority of AFV losses in the cavalry, it will be important to try to keep them off the line to limit turn attrition losses

It does look like the AFV reserves will deplete by the end of the winter 44-45 season.

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (588.91 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
topeverest

Key Production

Post by topeverest »

I have reduced production multiples for Air and Armaments. I began tracking builds to see if I can push more manpower / HI / resources towards infantry

Attachments
1111.jpg
1111.jpg (90.09 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Andy M
M60A3TTS

RE: Key Production

Post by M60A3TTS »

You seem to have considerable combat power in the form of rifle corps in the area of the Pripet Marshes. What is their purpose? Are you expecting some major attack that would otherwise prevent you from screening this area with rifle divisions and a few tank brigades.

These infantry corps could stay there, or they could be move north to support your move on Minsk. As it is now, your tank and cav corps north of Mogilev are sitting on the front lines taking attrition and fatigue. There is a time to be clever and unpredictable, and there is another when blunt force trauma is your friend.

Return to “After Action Reports”