Submarine Tutorials - Intermediate Submarine Operations

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Nerconiglio

RE: Submarine Tutorials - Intermediate Submarine Operations

Post by Nerconiglio »

Thank you very much Apache85 for this second round of tutorials. Useful to improve SSN skills, engaging in contents and very interesting to read all your explanations!
War. War never changes.
giantsquid

Post by giantsquid »

It's really a pleasure to try your tutorials. I'm learning something new each time, even if I played more that 150 scenarios.
Great work and thanks.

Francesco
gregb41352

Post by gregb41352 »

Love your tutorials. I learn something new each time I play them.
Thanks for doing these.
magi

Post by magi »

i played these.... they were really good and definitely helped me improve my use of sub surface assets... which i used to suck at.... thanks....
KissMeHardy

Post by KissMeHardy »

First of all, thank you Apache85 for your excellent tutorials.

Secondly on tutorial 2.1 against the Han Sub which is the easiest way to plot an intercept course when you know the naval target's speed and bearing.

I used a pencil,paper,compass,ruler and protractor. Is there a easier way using the law of Sin's or some other mathematical equation?
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: KissMeHardy

First of all, thank you Apache85 for your excellent tutorials.

Secondly on tutorial 2.1 against the Han Sub which is the easiest way to plot an intercept course when you know the naval target's speed and bearing.

I used a pencil,paper,compass,ruler and protractor. Is there a easier way using the law of Sin's or some other mathematical equation?

That is most impressive! Did you use graph paper or something else?

Tutorial 1.1 deals with plotting an intercept using the tools available in C:MANO, when you have a relatively solid fix on current position, speed and heading.

Tutorial 2.1 shows a method for localising and intercepting convergence zone contacts; the reason that the method in 1.1 might not apply well to convergence zone (CZ) contacts is that with CZ contacts often there are multiple possible positions for the contact (i.e. it could be in any of the 4 convergence zones displayed which are ~30nm in seperation).

I suppose if you had good data on the contacts heading and speed you could plot an intercept for each possible position (i.e. CZ along the bearing of the contact) and then align your course and speed to make those intercepts.

To answer your question of which is the easiest method for intercepting CZ contacts, it's the method outlined in the tutorial: maintain contact by turning to put the contact 90 degrees off your bow (port or starboard as appropriate to close with contact if its heading is known), when contact is lost as the contact passes through the CZ turn to match last known bearing and sprint to just before the convergence zone, then drift until contact is regained. Repeat until a direct path contact is achieved.
i224747

Post by i224747 »

ORIGINAL: Reg

ORIGINAL: Reg

If you would like to try these tutorials as a campaign (keeps track of where you are up to and loads the next lesson in sequence), then just unzip and drop the attached two files into the game "scenarios\tutorials" folder along side the tutorial scenario files.

The attached campaign files are set up for the eight tutorials released so far and require a decisive victory to progress (it is a tutorial after all....)

Enjoy.

Sorry about this guys but you will have to download the files again as I made an error with the scenario victory scores. [:(] Unfortunately this would prevent you from getting past scenarios 4 & 5.

But all fixed now. [:D] Just download the file from this post and install as above.

Pass-score of mission 1.2 should be 300 and not 350 to get the next campaign mission 1.3
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: i224747

Pass-score of mission 1.2 should be 300 and not 350 to get the next campaign mission 1.3

Hi,

If you are not getting a score of 350 you are not doing all the tasks requested by the tutorial designer...

Attachments
SubTut1.2_eval.gif
SubTut1.2_eval.gif (21.79 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
i224747

Post by i224747 »

To go within the 2nm range of the target should be a bonus but not a goal for passing this campaign mission.

The most natural and straightforward thing for the 1.2mission in this campaign would be to give a
Pass-score if the target sinks or is heavy damaged.
magi

Post by magi »

whata guy....
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

That's what I keep telling people.
TyphoonFr

Post by TyphoonFr »

Hi,
Could you try your scenario Submarine Tutorial 2.1,it seems that since the update 1.14.4,the submarines controlled by the AI do not respect the manual depth which you attributed to them.
In your scenario,the Han goes back to the top of the layer,rendering its detection impossible if you follow your instructions.

thank
Christophe

To all English teachers of the forum, sorry if English is not my mother language.
bcbarnesRR

Post by bcbarnesRR »

Would it be possible for someone to point me to where the other installments are located? These are really helpful - unfortunately a forum search (including 300 of apache85's most recent posts) didn't turn up anything.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Aren't they in the Tutorial folder of the latest Command??
Michael
bcbarnesRR

Post by bcbarnesRR »

Yep - you're right. I thought the attachment had new tutorial scenarios, but I see now that the attachment contains a campaign file that ties all the existing tutorials together. Pretty nice.
strykerpsg

Post by strykerpsg »

Apache,

Apologies for not really trying these until I saw a request for help with 2.1. I tried 2.1, setting a course north-east and just above the layer, as instructed. I also set my speed to creep, as per instructions. I then used time acceleration and got the end of mission message without encountering anything, not even biologics. I then used the scenario editor and used "God's eye" view, watching the Han move past my course undetected.

Is it possible the Han is positioned too far north to be detected? Or is it possible the the time limit is too short? I suspect the former, since you're trying to showcase the bow mounted sonar rather than the towed or hull arrays.

Thoughts?
TyphoonFr

Post by TyphoonFr »

ORIGINAL: strykerpsg

Is it possible the Han is positioned too far north to be detected? Or is it possible the the time limit is too short? I suspect the former, since you're trying to showcase the bow mounted sonar rather than the towed or hull arrays.

Thoughts?

Hello,
It seems that since the 1.14.4 update, the submarines controlled by the AI ​​do not respect the manual depth assigned to them.
In the case of the Han,it should travel as deep as possible about -984 ft.Instead, it travels just above the layer at about -355ft.

If you load the scenario with the editor and run the scenario on the China side you observe that the Han travels at -984 ft, which makes its detection with the towed array possible.
If you stay in China side and run for 2 hours and then come back to the United Kingdom side, you notice that the Han has been detected.

Now if you restart in United Kingdom side with "God's Eye" view enabled, you can see that the Han goes back to -355 ft, making its detection impossible if you stay just above the layer.

If you want to detect the Han above the layer with your towed array, stay 0°,creep and climb to -131ft (Shallow) to allow your towed array to search over the layer.
Christophe

To all English teachers of the forum, sorry if English is not my mother language.
bcbarnesRR

Post by bcbarnesRR »

In scenario 2.2, as others reported, I sink the S 311 Al Badr but do not receive any points for it, causing me to lose, and thus, not be able to progress in the campaign. Is this a fix for this?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”