Image overlay in map editor?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Nicholas Bell

RE: Image overlay in map editor?

Post by Nicholas Bell »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
What scale for the Fire Brigade '43 project? 5km/hex or 2.5/hex? I also made preparations to basically recreate the game Fire Brigade from Panther Games that actually covered the 2nd Battle of Kiev!
Klink, Oberst

Hah! Seems like a popular battle. [:)]

I am working with 5 km. I did a campaign disk for HPS Tigers on the Prowl focusing on Kampfgruppe Peiper back in the mid-1990's and still have my original research and a Soviet paper map I purchased used to make the maps. Plus Jack Radey did the boardgame "Bold Stroke" published by Spearhead games in the late 90s - lots of good OOB data there along with Sharp, Nafsinger and usual websites...

But there's no point in doing this if you or Lobster are already on it.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Barbarossa at 2.5km, regiment/battalion/company.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Nicholas Bell
ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
What scale for the Fire Brigade '43 project? 5km/hex or 2.5/hex? I also made preparations to basically recreate the game Fire Brigade from Panther Games that actually covered the 2nd Battle of Kiev!
Klink, Oberst

Hah! Seems like a popular battle. [:)]

I am working with 5 km. I did a campaign disk for HPS Tigers on the Prowl focusing on Kampfgruppe Peiper back in the mid-1990's and still have my original research and a Soviet paper map I purchased used to make the maps. Plus Jack Radey did the boardgame "Bold Stroke" published by Spearhead games in the late 90s - lots of good OOB data there along with Sharp, Nafsinger and usual websites...

But there's no point in doing this if you or Lobster are already on it.
Nick

if you still got the map 5km/hex in TOAW III or IV format, mind if I could use it (mentioning of course that you provided it!)?

Drop me a line,

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Dagfinn

Post by Dagfinn »

EDIT: Solved problem myself [:)]
Attachments
ODDscreenshot.jpg
ODDscreenshot.jpg (34.55 KiB) Viewed 279 times
In our darkest hours all the shades are gray
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: larrybush

sPzAbt653 turned me on to Hexthingy a program that uses Google Earth Pro (down-loadable) to create hex grid overlays!

Works fairly well.

http://www.desperationmorale.com/play-aids/#contributors-section

Have you managed to get the Hexthingy 1.2 working on the latest Google Earth Pro (I've got v7.3.1.4507 32-bit)?

I am having no luck with it, seems all I can get done is a huge grid that goes around the globe, instead of the 10x10km 1km hex test thing I am trying.

Any tutorials out there for it?
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
andy77

Post by andy77 »

Please help .
I tried to create hex grid overlay using programs Hexthingy and ODD ,but nothing happened.I ask colleagues to help -to put working versions of the programs in Detail and explain their work.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: andy77

Please help .
I tried to create hex grid overlay using programs Hexthingy and ODD ,but nothing happened.I ask colleagues to help -to put working versions of the programs in Detail and explain their work.

ODD: Convert the map to .bmp format. Open ODD/Map Tool. Click Import. Select .bmp map file from directory. Click on scaling tool bar button (the little hex icon at the top).

Now go to the bottom and click Set Scale. Move mouse cursor to map where it will turn into a cross hair. Go to a place where you know the distance between two points. Click on first point and hold down the mouse button. Move to second point and release the mouse button. In the first box to the right of Set Scale a number appears. It is the number of pixels between the two points. In the box to the right on that enter the number of kilometers between the two points. So now the two boxes should say something like 315 pixels = 10 kilometers.

Now go to the box that says 0__._ and enter your map scale. Say you want a 10km per hex map so that should say 010.0 for that scale. Click Draw Grid. So now the grid is made.

Go to top and click Export. Give the map a name at the save window. Click save. Wait a minute so it writes to file and you are done.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Have you managed to get the Hexthingy 1.2 working on the latest Google Earth Pro
I missed this when you posted it, but Hexthingy stopped working with later versions of Google long ago. I use the version pictured below. If you can't find it, I can probably get it to you. Note that when I opened it to get this screen shot, I got a message that this version of Google Earth will stop working soon [:(] Typical.

Attachments
jpeg82.jpg
jpeg82.jpg (93.61 KiB) Viewed 261 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Dude, you wrote the original, lol. Here is my version of your work, edited to my perceptions and understandings.
Attachments
MakeMap.txt
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

As you get old the first thing to go is the memory. I forget what comes after that. [:D]

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Have you managed to get the Hexthingy 1.2 working on the latest Google Earth Pro
I missed this when you posted it, but Hexthingy stopped working with later versions of Google long ago. I use the version pictured below. If you can't find it, I can probably get it to you. Note that when I opened it to get this screen shot, I got a message that this version of Google Earth will stop working soon [:(] Typical.

Thanks, I'd appreciate having a chance to try this out! Where can I find it, do you know?
---
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I just googled 'google earth 6.2.2.6613' and several dl sites are found. I don't know which if any to recommend.

I searched around and don't seem to have the setup file saved as I do for several other older programs. Maybe I hid it somewhere safe, which means I will never find it now!
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Thanks! [:)]
---
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Oh by the way, I finally got around to making the shirts that you helped me with ! [&o]

Attachments
wreckshrt001.jpg
wreckshrt001.jpg (76.87 KiB) Viewed 261 times
andy77

Post by andy77 »

That shows me that if any data

Attachments
С..72; (33).jpg
С..72; (33).jpg (2.68 MiB) Viewed 261 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

That shows me that if any data

I loaded a map and put in the exact numbers you did and had no problem producing a grid.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..08 13.50.jpg
ScreenHunt..08 13.50.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 264 times

andy77

Post by andy77 »

How is this setting set ? Why I have he always 0x0

Attachments
6E8D445293..55A71D7A.jpg
6E8D445293..55A71D7A.jpg (120.92 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Oh by the way, I finally got around to making the shirts that you helped me with ! [&o]

They do look so familiar... the 'wrecks'... where did I see them again?! *thinking*

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

How is this setting set ? Why I have he always 0x0

Try it without even loading a map. Put in the numbers that you put in and it will make a little hex map in the upper left corner. But don't fill in the startingX startingY. Let it do that by itself.

Attachments
ScreenHunt..0817.14.jpg
ScreenHunt..0817.14.jpg (36.4 KiB) Viewed 261 times

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

They do look so familiar... the 'wrecks'... where did I see them again?! *thinking*
Very Observant Klink ! Us old fellows will recognize them from Panzer Blitz/Leader, the kiddies will know them from Campaign Series Middle East [which Crossroads and Berto work on, and a Vietnam series is coming, to be followed by East Front/West Front].

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”